• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Page Whiteness separate from grade?

4 posts in this topic

I'm sure you folks have discussed this before, but I'm still confused: confused.gif

Does the bottom-line grade for a book take the PW into account, or is it separate. And if it does figure in, then how much do you think?

For example, If book A is 9.4 with OW and book B is 9.4 with W, then they are structurally exact.

But if book A is 9.2 OW & B is 9.0 W, then B has whiter pages BUT has at least one more defect than A, correct?

Now how about a 9.2 with Tan pages? Do the pages themselves lower the book's overall grade, or does the 9.2 represent just the other aspects?

And finally, is there a limit of corressponding grade to PW?

Can a 9.8 have less than White pages?

What's the highest grade given to a book with Tan pages?

What's better: a 9.2 White or a 9.6 OW? Does it depend on the flaw(s)?

Thanx in advance for your help, and also for your upcoming comments of "You should know this stuff already, dweeb!" frown.gif

Rick

The short answer is that page whiteness is factored into the grade. However, the assumption is that it doesn't have a very big impact until you get in the 9.6/9.8 and up range. There are no "stated" grade ranges for a certain page quality. It seems that a 9.4 W might have more structural damage than a 9.4 OW. As far as choosing between a 9.2 White or a 9.6 OW, the 9.6 is probably a much nicer looking book. Personally, I'm much less concerned about page quality than I am cover color quality (has the cover browned at all?). So...the age old truism still holds - buy the book, not the label!

Here's a thread which poses some definite answers to one of your questions and some hypotheses to your others:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=comicgen&Number=72587&Forum=comicgen

Inside that thread, there's a link to yet another older thread about the topic.