• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WALKING DEAD Issue #1 Splash Page

125 posts in this topic

Is that a lot or a little?

Seems like its getting to a lot....... But its hard telling when your in a market(WD) that has done nothing but keep shooting up in price. Makes you wonder if there will be a ceiling for the grail WD OA pages and covers.

What's most surprising to me, if we take this auction at face value, is that despite having been resold a number of times over the last few years, the price keeps going UP. This is not usually the case, no matter how nice the art. The market generally does not treat recycled pieces kindly.

I remember when this first sold on eBay a couple of years ago for $7500 (or thereabouts, don't remember exact figure). Hard for most people to believe back then...still hard to believe, quite frankly! Which makes this new number that much more of a head-scratcher.

One explanation (again, if we take this auction at face value) would be new money. Otherwise, this is truly an anomaly. For one thing, every veteran collector I know looks at this piece and Just. Doesn't. Get. It.

For now, I'll chalk this up to new money placing outsized value for a page from a #1 issue. Whatever the case, good luck to those chasing it.

What's most surprising to me, if we take this auction at face value, is that despite having been resold a number of times over the last few years, the price keeps going UP. This is not usually the case, no matter how nice the art. The market generally does not treat recycled pieces kindly.

I remember when this first sold on eBay a couple of years ago for $7500 (or thereabouts, don't remember exact figure). Hard for most people to believe back then...still hard to believe, quite frankly! Which makes this new number that much more of a head-scratcher.

One explanation (again, if we take this auction at face value) would be new money. Otherwise, this is truly an anomaly. For one thing, every veteran collector I know looks at this piece and Just. Doesn't. Get. It.

For now, I'll chalk this up to new money placing outsized value for a page from a #1 issue. Whatever the case, good luck to those chasing it.

If you close your eyes and keep the actual image of the art out of your mind, just think of all the rationalizations you could make in its favor. This page is:

From the first issue of the Walking Dead (the second page to be exact!!!)

A full page splash

A large image of Rick in his first appearance

Tony Moore art

It sounds like it should be expensive, right?

Whatever you do, just don't look at the art! lol

If you close your eyes and keep the actual image of the art out of your mind, just think of all the rationalizations you could make in its favor. This page is:

A full page splash

Tony Moore art

Also, it was used as the template for one of the early shots of the TV series... IMO that adds value as well.

A full page splash

Tony Moore art

I like the page, but still got a good chuckle out of this, Brett :roflmao:

I'm officially out of the race at this price. Best of luck to the winner. It may be a simple piece, but if you're a WD fan, it rarely gets better than this. I have a feeling it won't be available for a while after this auction.

Why do you say that?

I'm officially out of the race at this price. Best of luck to the winner. It may be a simple piece, but if you're a WD fan, it rarely gets better than this. I have a feeling it won't be available for a while after this auction.

Why do you say that?

Some of the biggest WD collectors that are interested now weren't around in 2009/2010 when it was last available for auction. There are a handful of guys who essentially battle it out over every WD big ticket item, and most have stated to me personally that they're in this for the long haul, and are, or were, interested in this piece (not including myself).

I think this was last available in April, 2012 on ebay. I remember b/c I believe I was the underbidder.

Someone above hit on why I want(ed) the page. I loved how in the comic and TV show, the image of a guy waking up in a hospital starts things rolling. Above all the zombie scenes, it's the moment I most remember from this series. And it's likely one of the only 'big' moments in the story I would be allowed by my wife to put on the wall.

Also, I like Moore's art a lot more than Adlard's, so I always wanted a Moore piece.

I'm not really a player this time around, bc there are so many other things I would get at the 15k (and up) price level…of course, I seem to lose out on all the pieces I pegged as 15k pieces when they actually go for 20k or more.

Why do you say that?

Some of the biggest WD collectors that are interested now weren't around in 2009/2010 when it was last available for auction. There are a handful of guys who essentially battle it out over every WD big ticket item, and most have stated to me personally that they're in this for the long haul, and are, or were, interested in this piece (not including myself).

I paid 8050 for this piece 2 years ago. I hope it keeps moving along. It was by far my favorite page but I cant rationalize keeping such an expensive piece that is not a golden age comic. :(

Certainly a nice investment and return for you. I'd be happy with that return in 2 years. :)

I think this page is iconic for WD and is integral to the story (both comic and TV show). Plus, there are a finite number of Moore pages (especially #1) so it doesn't surprise me this page is going for a ton.

Wish I could buy it