• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is there a Church Terrific 5?

92 posts in this topic

I bought a high grade copy of Terrific #5 from the Overstreet Collection, at the Diamond Galleries grand opening in Timonium.

I bought it for $500.00 and sold it to Steve F. next week at NY for 5K and Steve was pleased to acquire it.

BTW: At the Diamond galleries opening I also picked up the Human Torch #8 (Riley/SF copy) which has been graded 9.8, and the Wonderworld #7 (Allentown) which was killer!

Dwight

Dwight;

Wow, very informative post as I had never seen it before. (thumbs u

I was always under the mistaken impression that Fishler had brought the Terrific 5 directly from Diamond during the opening, since it was being advertised by Metro for sale within the pages of CBG almost immediately. doh!

I also never realize that you were the lucky one who had picked up the Allentown copy of WW 7. Any reason why you did not pick up the other Allentown Mystery Men and Wonderworld books, or was this particular copy set aside for you, similar to what I had heard about some of the other classic cover books?

From what I've seen so far, the Allentown Fox books were indeed killer copies. Interesting to note though, that Payette had graded the WW 7 as a VF+ copy, whereas most of the other Fox books were graded higher into the NM range. Doesn't really mean much as the Mystery Men 13 was also graded by Payette as a VF+ copy, yet came back from CGC as a NM+ 9.6 copy. Goes to show you that grading is indeed subjective.

Do you still have your Wonderworld 7 or was it sold off a long time ago to fund some of your other purchases? hm

I bought a high grade copy of Terrific #5 from the Overstreet Collection, at the Diamond Galleries grand opening in Timonium.

I bought it for $500.00 and sold it to Steve F. next week at NY for 5K and Steve was pleased to acquire it.

BTW: At the Diamond galleries opening I also picked up the Human Torch #8 (Riley/SF copy) which has been graded 9.8, and the Wonderworld #7 (Allentown) which was killer!

Dwight

Dwight;

Wow, very informative post as I had never seen it before. (thumbs u

I was always under the mistaken impression that Fishler had brought the Terrific 5 directly from Diamond during the opening, since it was being advertised by Metro for sale within the pages of CBG almost immediately. doh!

I also never realize that you were the lucky one who had picked up the Allentown copy of WW 7. Any reason why you did not pick up the other Allentown Mystery Men and Wonderworld books, or was this particular copy set aside for you, similar to what I had heard about some of the other classic cover books?

From what I've seen so far, the Allentown Fox books were indeed killer copies. Interesting to note though, that Payette had graded the WW 7 as a VF+ copy, whereas most of the other Fox books were graded higher into the NM range. Doesn't really mean much as the Mystery Men 13 was also graded by Payette as a VF+ copy, yet came back from CGC as a NM+ 9.6 copy. Goes to show you that grading is indeed subjective.

Do you still have your Wonderworld 7 or was it sold off a long time ago to fund some of your other purchases? hm

The WW7 is a nm/nm+ copy. Absolutely spectacular.

Do you still have your Wonderworld 7 ...

Dean, a buddy of mine now owns the Allentown Wonderworld 7.

Is he the same buddy of yours that owns several of the early Allentown Fox books?

If he is, he's definitely a long term collector as he's had them for over 20 years by now. (thumbs u

d Steve was pleased to acquire it.

Dwight

The WW7 is a nm/nm+ copy. Absolutely spectacular.

Any idea then why Payette would have only graded this book as a VF+ copy, or is the Pedigree Book breakdown of the Allentown Collection possibly incorrect? ???

Dwight

A Human Torch #8 in 9.8, good grief I would love to see that book. I take it that it's locked away in one of these collections that never see the light of day?

this thread was agreat,great read.

Indeed! I missed it the first time.

I might as well add to it, Borock's explanation from his Facebook comments of determining the pedigree change

Well....1st of all, it does not look like a Crowley copy and looks just like a Church copy. 2nd, we made calls and emails reaching out to some of the top hobbyists and 3rd, West & I have seen and owned more Church copies than most people and can tell by the smell, raised reflective inks, page quality and other tell tale signs.

CGC was confident that the book came from Crowley, a fact relatively easy to verify given the way the Crowley copies came to market. It would be interesting to know if there is any reason to doubt that. If it did come from Crowley and is the Church copy, then it was purchased by Crowley and that is an interesting fact.

Wouldn't that negate Crowley as a pedigree if they aren't original owner?

Yeah, I was a little surprised to learn that some pedigrees have a number of non-original-owner books. Here's the description of the Windy City pedigree via http://comicpedigrees.com/pedigrees.php. I added the bolding.

WINDY CITY

One of four pedigree collections to contain all #1 issues, the Windy City is by far the largest, numbering over 2000 comics. It also covers a span of time nearly unparalleled in pedigreed collections, running from the '30s up through the '60s. Even the sale itself was eight years in the making, causing Gary Colabuono, the top bidder for the collection, many a sleepless night. Nearly every #1 issue imaginable is in there, such as Marvel Comics #1 (CGC 9.0), Captain America #1 (CGC 8.5), Batman #1, Flash #1, Captain Marvel #1, All-Winners #1, Daring Mystery #1 and Whiz #1. But there was no copy of Action #1, the ultimate key issue conspicuously absent from all but three of the 45 pedigreed collections covered here.

Just like the various titles represented in the Windy City collection, so are the grades of each book. Many were bought second-hand by the owner, Andy Wallace (whose name appears on nearly 1/4 of the comics), an introverted postal worker who lived with his sister. Because the collection entered the market in 1986, long before the pedigree concept had become part of the hobby's landscape, most of the books made their way into private collections anonymously. CGC has only graded slightly more than 50 Windy City copies to date, a paltry 3% of the overall collection. Like the Okajima and Cosmic Aeroplane pedigrees that were assimilated without recognition, unidentified Windy City copies could be sitting in your collection right now.