• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your CGC Boards Origin Story
5 5

432 posts in this topic

Well as I'm getting back into "collecting" I heard about CGC graded pulp and figured they have to have a website....originally came in order to submit on my own...but found a comic shop that has enough traffic to CGC in order to get me a good price and handle shipping well... I've got back plenty of 9.6's (no 9.8's) but that's another chat....ended up just using the census (verification anyway) and reading up on SS events in chatterbox room

I've been collecting comics for years, but have an income now where I can start really investing a little bit into some more vintage "dream" books. I was pointed toward these boards by a local comic shop, who cited it as a wealth of information and opportunity. So here we are. =)

Just recently got into comics, started seeing these bulletproof plastic cases at my LCS that had CGC X.X on them so of course I Googled, and started looking around the site and found the forums. Figured I'd sign up and try and learn something. 

6 hours ago, Phenolic said:

Just recently got into comics, started seeing these bulletproof plastic cases at my LCS that had CGC X.X on them so of course I Googled, and started looking around the site and found the forums. Figured I'd sign up and try and learn something. 

Welcome. You definitely landed on the right place. I joined about two and a half years ago and just kept reading everything for months, before buying my very first graded book: an AF15 lol. I don't want to sound cheesy, but I will always be grateful to the boards and the folks here that so generously share their experience and knowledge. They made this hobby so much more fun and interesting for me.

On 8/10/2014 at 7:43 PM, kav said:

Oh right I originally googled Kermit's Pad because he was listing the 'Wytheville Pedigree'-I had messaged him on ebay that there was no such pedigree -I came across a thread on Kermit's pad and overgrading-I started posting on there, made a bunch of enemies and got the thread poofed. Which Kermit was pretty happy about.

The rest is history.

:bump:

I "got back into collecting" in 2012 and bought a CGC book. I explored the main CGC site to learn more about the product , look up serial #s etc. and saw they had a chat room message board. At the time I had no interest, I mean what did I need to chat about?

About a year later I started reading the annual Overstreet guide and it recommended the boards. I read for a while and decided to start posting; mostly with alot of questions. I posted often for about a year and left when I felt that I had gained the knowledge I was seeking.

Pretty good. Been living with my girlfriend for about a year now. We’re shopping for rings now. Not much time, money, or space for comics at the moment but I still buy a few here and there. Very slow DIY mild remodel on the home has us pretty much living out of laundry baskets and climbing over furniture to get to our bed and bathroom

1 hour ago, dupont2005 said:

Pretty good. Been living with my girlfriend for about a year now. We’re shopping for rings now. Not much time, money, or space for comics at the moment but I still buy a few here and there. Very slow DIY mild remodel on the home has us pretty much living out of laundry baskets and climbing over furniture to get to our bed and bathroom

Ah , new love.:x

I originally came on this forum because of a link about the IDW Artist editions, I wanted to ask was there a chance of a Colan Dracula and a Spider-man Ditko. I've now got half of my wish roll on the Ditko.:bigsmile: Then I got bitten by a bug and gained "Quick wit powers" and now I can't leave. This is me now nearly five years later.

download (2).jpg

3 minutes ago, tv horror said:

I originally came on this forum because of a link about the IDW Artist editions, I wanted to ask was there a chance of a Colan Dracula and a Spider-man Ditko. I've now got half of my wish roll on the Ditko.:bigsmile: Then I got bitten by a bug and gained "Quick wit powers" and now I can't leave. This is me now nearly five years later.

download (2).jpg

I'm happy you decided to stay. We need all the horror guys we can get around here.