• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your CGC Boards Origin Story
5 5

432 posts in this topic

My first CGC graded book I bought in 2005,wanted to learn more about it.So I googled CGC,and BAM there it was,the message boards.At first I just lurked for years,then one night I felt compelled to sign on,and I stumbled onto Niks grading game.Well I wrote what I thought the grade was,and Divad wrote remove that grade you damn noob at once.I apologised as I removed it.By the way it was correct once revealed. (thumbs u

After that I had the regular noob ribbing for awhile,and have been here for 6 years(8 if you count my lurking). :hi:

That is so funny Dave. I can't remember but either stumbled over here from a suggestion in ebay chat room or though another collector friend I met through ebay who happens to be a board member here... hm

Pretty early on I ran a TOS 42-70 CGC graded sale here and I think I made a rule-break or transgression or two...pretty minor if I recall...and got attacked by some vets and divad sent me a "wise-man" PM helping me along and then posted a post in my support and I have been eternally grateful to this day...THX AGAIN divad! :angel:

Since then have made many friends, met many boardies including the illustrious and immortal Steve Borock and it's been a grand and long strange trip...and glad to have been and to be aboard... :headbang:

Edited by trmoore54

I was referred to the boards by LarryW7 who, for the longest time, was Doiby Dickles. As I recall it came out of a discussion on a movie poester collecting forum (maybe MoPo?).

Pov, I think it was on either the Classic Horror Boards, or the now defunct Scarlet Street. Could have been MoPo, I guess. I knew you would love this place.

Me, I don't remember how I found my way here. Probably just googling for forums devoted to older comics, although it could have been a link on another forum, or a newsgroup(remember those?). I've been here almost from the beginning, but I'm more of a reader than a poster. Otherwise I would be up to 50,000 posts by now. Kav nearly has me beat, and he just got here.

Yeah, in retrospect I think it WAS the Classic Horror Boards. I knew it had something to do with movies. :hi:

My first CGC graded book I bought in 2005,wanted to learn more about it.So I googled CGC,and BAM there it was,the message boards.At first I just lurked for years,then one night I felt compelled to sign on,and I stumbled onto Niks grading game.Well I wrote what I thought the grade was,and Divad wrote remove that grade you damn noob at once.I apologised as I removed it.By the way it was correct once revealed. (thumbs u

After that I had the regular noob ribbing for awhile,and have been here for 6 years(8 if you count my lurking). :hi:

That is so funny Dave. I can't remember but either stumbled over here from a suggestion in ebay chat room or though another collector friend I met through ebay who happens to be a board member here... hm

Pretty early on I ran a TOS 42-70 CGC graded sale here and I think I made a rule-break or transgression or two...pretty minor if I recall...and got attacked by some vets and divad sent me a "wise-man" PM helping me along and then posted a post in my support and I have been eternally grateful to this day...THX AGAIN divad! :angel:

Since then have made many friends, met many boardies including the illustrious and immortal Steve Borock and it's been a grand and long strange trip...and glad to have been and to be aboard... :headbang:

Tom I certainly think of you as a true friend here,if I recall you had the same avatar back then as you do now. (thumbs u I know it's someone you truly admire. (thumbs u

Since we seem to have an influx of new members coming to the site, I was curious how everyone stumbled across this haven.

I discovered the site after first getting into the hobby again after 15 years and making the mistake of ordering "cool stuff" from Dynamic Forces. After waiting 6-8 months for my order to never arrive, I googled Dynamic Forces sucks and here I am :)

Got back into comic collecting after a half decade off because of the X-Men movie. Started on ebay, came here around the time of X-2 (2003/2004). Mostly to see what the fuss/debate about slabbed books was.

Finally made this account to post once I yielded as a raw-comic book purist, and to debate the trends in modern comics (aka is the market in a multi-year bubble due to cheap debt and rampant speculation)

Tom I certainly think of you as a true friend here,if I recall you had the same avatar back then as you do now. (thumbs u I know it's someone you truly admire. (thumbs u

I went back and looked at the original thread...I was mistaken...the TOS thread came after I committed a transgression on the buddy can you spare a grade thread and divad gave me advice and coached me along...no change in my eternal thanks to dd on the advice and welcoming me aboard...here's the PM exchange...dated 7/21/2007 the day before my wife's birthday...

Tom,

I think you fit right in here, but spamming a grade thread with sales pitches is over the line. Just thought I'd clue you in - the only place to sell or pitch books here is in the two marketplace threads.

cheers,

David

Top Reply Reply Quote Quote Quick Reply Quick Reply Quick Quote Quick Quote

Unread By: none

#370460 - 07/20/07 12:03 AM Re: Be careful dude

trmoore54 Online content

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Southern California

Got it...thanks for the heads-up...

Top Edit Edit Reply Reply Quote Quote Quick Reply Quick Reply Quick Quote Quick Quote

#370482 - 07/20/07 12:15 AM Re: Be careful dude

trmoore54 Online content

TOTAL NEWBIE

That was a bit brief reply...I was interrupted...I want to be in for the long haul...if you knew me this is mostly purely the hobby and the involvement...sure everybody wants to make a profit but I would never make a profit over someone else's dissatisfaction...I am a collector/archivist first and just looking to pass along hopefully books that other collectors appreciate at reasonable compensation...I appreciate the advise!

Top Edit Edit Reply Reply Quote Quote Quick Reply Quick Reply Quick Quote Quick Quote

#370492 - 07/20/07 12:20 AM Re: Be careful dude

divad Offline

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: bolinas lagoon

I like your style . . . and you got some killer books too, so I'm happy to see you here. Btw, I stood by your asking prices on the ASM's you sold to James - he asked my opinion, and I told him so

#370503 - 07/20/07 12:28 AM Re: Be careful dude

trmoore54 Online content

TOTAL NEWBIE

Originally Posted By: divad

I like your style . . . and you got some killer books too, so I'm happy to see you here. Btw, I stood by your asking prices on the ASM's you sold to James - he asked my opinion, and I told him so

Wow...that is cool...this appears to be a much better/real support group than certainly something as flimsy as eBay could ever be...he asked for my phone number so we could talk just to confirm the deal before he sent Paypal which I thought was very cool and just another way to ensure that everything is fine and on the up-and-up...Again, thanks for the initial support and I appreciate the network of support as well...

#371265 - 07/20/07 07:00 PM Re: Be careful dude

trmoore54 Online content

TOTAL NEWBIE

Originally Posted By: divad

Tom,

I think you fit right in here, but spamming a grade thread with sales pitches is over the line. Just thought I'd clue you in - the only place to sell or pitch books here is in the two marketplace threads.

cheers,

David

David

I went back and edited out my response in the Luke Cage thread as well where I posted my ASM 123 9.6 and someone asked if it was for sale...I get it now, but technically didn't that guy violate protocol first by asking me if it was for sale?

Or is it cool to ask someone if it's for sale but just not for them to answer you on the thread, to PM them separately and privately? Seems like I've seen a lot of people asking others after they post a book "Is it for sale?"

#371429 - 07/20/07 11:59 PM Re: Be careful dude

divad Offline

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: bolinas lagoon

You can never control the sharks . . . but the grading thread is for grades among friends. People are always going to ask, which of course puts you in the driver's seat

#371482 - 07/21/07 01:22 AM Re: Be careful dude

trmoore54 Online content

TOTAL NEWBIE

Fair enough...thanks again

I'd slip over from STL to post on "Charter Member" Ewert's miraculous resubs. Eventually there were so many shenanigan-threads over here it was easier to stick around. The trimming scandal emerged, PCS wailings, pressing debates, it was a damn lively board for quite some time.

No sales.

First buy was HouseofComics,Mark rules.

First PM...above.

First good buddy,Human Torch,still is!Love you Dave.

First GA buy,Silversurfer,second good buddy,still is.

First slab and pedigree was esquire comics.

First and only problem...phigam sales wise,threat of violence,was told I would be stabbed,will not mention the name out of respect.

Best friend here and in the world,Kevin J.

Favorite thread.....those that know me know!

Custom title....i don't think it will.ever come.and am madly despondent.

One of the coolest guys I ever met and bought the most from?trmoore54 or RIP Ray O'Gara.....miss you brother...really do.I will one day put together a list of all I bought from you and post them all as a separate collection....i just can't go through the pms....

BEST thread I ever started?This Is A Positive Thread to Make Comics General Better.....

Who rules?Every one.

Oh first person to tell me to :censored: U? Greggy of course.

Cool post brotha! Kudos back to you...if we can't be story tellers then what are our lives after all! Peace... :headbang:

t

Back in 2007 I purchased an AF15 with a suspicious-looking FC top edge and had sent it off to CGC. Divad suggested we put it in the PGM Forum to get people's takes on whether they thought it had been trimmed and what grade it would get. Got a lot of responses. Fortunately, the book came back a blue label 5.0! That's how I remember getting hooked on the Forum! And I remember several wise members PM'ed and wanted to buy the book from me. Glad I kept it. :banana:

Any other noobees show up, make a fool of themselves, get lynched then stick it out like me? I've seen several come and leave in a huff but none with my fortitude yet.