• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Questions I should know the answers to, but don't

10 posts in this topic

So, it's occurred to me that even though I consider myself a "seasoned" collector (I don't really know what that means, but it sounds good) ...

... there are questions I have about comics that I should know the answers to, but I don't....

... so I created this thread for all of us to ask those sorts of questions ...

things like... how do Hulk's pants still fit when he changes from Bruce Banner to a giant green machine... or, how do I crack open a CGC case without hurting the comic inside...

... but more importantly, here's one to get us started with...

What are tear seals? I understand color touch, staples cleaned, and most other notations on restored books, but I don't understand a tear seal... help!

A tear (rip), typically on the cover, that has been... wait for it... sealed.

Okay, smart guy, I get it... :boo:... this is comics general and that's fair play, but still

how's it sealed... presumably it's not tape, because that'd create another notation on the CGC label... so, the question remains unanswered...

Anyone? :popcorn:

A tear (rip), typically on the cover, that has been... wait for it... sealed.

Okay, smart guy, I get it... :boo:... this is comics general and that's fair play, but still

how's it sealed... presumably it's not tape, because that'd create another notation on the CGC label... so, the question remains unanswered...

Anyone? :popcorn:

Rice paper.

from CGCs page...

TEAR SEALS = Sealing a tear using an adhesive. An adhesive may be cellulose, chemical, or protein-based glues as well as anything that acts as an adhesive, such as saliva.

from what I understand if the tear is sealed professionally it can be removed and will get a conserved label such as with wheat paste (I THINK)... if hard glues were used or is amateur it will come back as restored...once again I THINK :)

from CGCs page...

TEAR SEALS = Sealing a tear using an adhesive. An adhesive may be cellulose, chemical, or protein-based glues as well as anything that acts as an adhesive, such as saliva.

from what I understand if the tear is sealed professionally it can be removed and will get a conserved label such as with wheat paste (I THINK)... if hard glues were used or is amateur it will come back as restored...once again I THINK :)

So if I sealed a tear using my saliva and sent it to CGC, it would come back as restored? :roflmao:

from CGCs page...

So if I sealed a tear using my saliva and sent it to CGC, it would come back as restored? :roflmao:

No, it would be a GLOB (green label of blecchh).

Either that or they would burn it. :sick: