• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Inhumans movie (un)offically official?
3 3

281 posts in this topic

The Inhumans film could end up following the same (so far) lucrative formula as the two Thor films, with the strong, sibling rivalry between Black Bolt and Maximus being very similar to that between Thor and Loki.

I could see the Inhumans making an appearance in Guardians of the Galaxy, which provides the back story of who they are, origin, etc. ... and then hitting the ground running in their own movie before appearing in Avengers 3 to battle Thanos.

This could mean three movie appearances in an 18-month period for the Inhumans!

So, who actually owns the movie rights to Inhumans? I thought it would be whoever owns the movie rights to the fantastic four.

Nope. Marvel owns the Inhumans, but they don't own the title mutant.

Fox owns the FF, X-men, Deadpool, Cable, Surfer and Scarlett Witch and Quicksilver.

Sony owns Spider-man.

Marvel also owns Scarlett Witch and Quicksilver but they can't refer to them as mutants.

I think Marvel is going use the Inhumans franchise as an answer to the loss of the X-men to Fox and develop their own brand of 'non-mutant mutants'.

It's making for intriguing story families...

Avengers and related - Science and magic

Inhumans and related - non-mutant mutants

Guardians and related - Cosmos and sci fi

They're rebuilding their universe after the loss of some of the greatest franchises to other companies. The crossovers will be epic.

They're rebuilding their universe after the loss of some of the greatest franchises to other companies. The crossovers will be epic.

That's right. No FF?? No problem, Marvel Studios has Avengers and GOTG.

No X-Men? No problem, they (will) have Inhumans.

No Spider-Man? No problem, they have Iron Man and now an invigorated Captain America that individually are out-performing the Spidey ASM movie franchise.

How did Man-Thing end up at Lionsgate?

Lionsgate produced a film back in 2005 that went direct to TV, which was shown on the SciFi (SYFY) Channel.

10Man-Thing_r1_scan.jpg

So if this is following the ten-year contract pattern that was identied with other characters, by 2015 this would default back to Marvel Studios. But then you have to be careful, as sometimes a studio may have the movie rights to a character or franchise, while Marvel retains TV and animation rights.

Man-Thing or a related character has been mentioned twice now in a Marvel property. In 'Iron Man 3', Ellen Brandt is the character injected with the Extremis Virus. Ellen Brandt is the ex-wife of Dr. Ted Sallis, otherwise known as Man-Thing. Then 'Man-Thing' is mentioned on the SHIELD TV show. So it was assumed all of the rights had returned to Marvel.

If Marvel is looking to have a horror production division, I think Man-Thing would make a lot of sense as one of the characters. TBD if it has all of the rights back to the character.

The Inhumans film could end up following the same (so far) lucrative formula as the two Thor films, with the strong, sibling rivalry between Black Bolt and Maximus being very similar to that between Thor and Loki.

I agree

So, who actually owns the movie rights to Inhumans? I thought it would be whoever owns the movie rights to the fantastic four.

Nope. Marvel owns the Inhumans, but they don't own the title mutant.

Fox owns the FF, X-men, Deadpool, Cable, Surfer and Scarlett Witch and Quicksilver.

Sony owns Spider-man.

Marvel also owns Scarlett Witch and Quicksilver but they can't refer to them as mutants.

I think Marvel is going use the Inhumans franchise as an answer to the loss of the X-men to Fox and develop their own brand of 'non-mutant mutants'.

It's making for intriguing story families...

Avengers and related - Science and magic

Inhumans and related - non-mutant mutants

Guardians and related - Cosmos and sci fi

This.

They were created by the Kree, Skye is almost certainly an inhuman, and why she was unaffected by the Kree blood. Inhumans gives them a "mutant" equivalent that they can strongly cross into the TV world without having to constantly make up new sources for powers.