• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To pressed or unpressed, that is the question.

13 posts in this topic

I am new to the concept of pressed comic books. I have 22+ years of experienced in collecting comic books, but pressed comic books will not be considering as restoration is new to me. As mention by CGC, they don't see pressed comic books as restoration, but giving a better grade on comic books. However, in this forum beg a differ on that case. I have notice people does stated, "This comic books in CGC hasn't been pressed or this comic books in CGC has been pressed." Can you tell different between pressed and unpressed comic book?

Does pressed New Mutant 98 CGC 9.8 being less desirable than unpressed New Mutant 98 CGC 9.8? If so, then does pressed comic book is a bad idea?

Does pressed New Mutant 98 CGC 9.8 being less desirable than unpressed New Mutant 98 CGC 9.8? If so, then does pressed comic book is a bad idea?

The way things are heading a pressed CGC 9.8 could be less desirable than an unpressed CGC 9.8 because the unpressed one holds a chance of being pressed to an even higher grade.

I am new to the concept of pressed comic books. I have 22+ years of experienced in collecting comic books, but pressed comic books will not be considering as restoration is new to me. As mention by CGC, they don't see pressed comic books as restoration, but giving a better grade on comic books. However, in this forum beg a differ on that case. I have notice people does stated, "This comic books in CGC hasn't been pressed or this comic books in CGC has been pressed." Can you tell different between pressed and unpressed comic book?

Judging by trying to read this entire post, you might have way bigger problems than pressed comic books.

Jim

Judging by trying to read this entire post, you might have way bigger problems than pressed comic books.

Jim

Perhaps English wasn't his first language. Not to mention the fact that people who are born deaf or with severe hearing problems don't exactly type all that well either.

Just a thought.

Jim

You should know......

I had no difficulty comprehending the post so not sure why the attack on his grammar/typing.

Anyways, I think people these days just assume things are pressed unless there are obvious 'pressable defects' remaining when the slab is in hand.

It's nice of sellers to acknowledge if they pressed a book, but if I bought a book and later found out it was pressed but undisclosed, I wouldn't be upset...

In terms of value, if anything it might be a selling point as the previous poster said, since unpressed may grade even higher, but not sure people want to take the shipping risk once they already have a 9.8.

just assume things are pressed unless there are obvious 'pressable defects' remaining when the slab is in hand.

But, But you can't detect pressing. CGC said so............. :ohnoez:

Wouldn't a non-pressed 9.8 CGC slabbed book be valued the same as a 9.8 pressed book? They are the same grade and there is zero chance of a higher grade UNLESS it's cracked and re-graded.

Also, what is the primary purpose of pressing besides getting a better grade? What I mean by that is: what defects would pressing improve? Spine ticks? Creases?

I appreciate your help in advance!

Jason

Wouldn't a non-pressed 9.8 CGC slabbed book be valued the same as a 9.8 pressed book? They are the same grade and there is zero chance of a higher grade UNLESS it's cracked and re-graded.

Also, what is the primary purpose of pressing besides getting a better grade? What I mean by that is: what defects would pressing improve? Spine ticks? Creases?

I appreciate your help in advance!

Jason

Some of the same problems that could (possibly) contribute to a higher grade: non-color breaking creases, waviness, folds, spineroll, etc. Discounting grading considerations, simple eye appeal is a reason one would choose to press a book.