• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2 mil mylar for art larger than 11x17

14 posts in this topic

I've searched around quite a bit, but I can't seem to find a good answer to this. For storing most of my OA I've been using 11x17 2 mil mylar bags from BCW. However, I have some pages (mostly on DC/Vertigo boards) that are a bit bigger by an inch or so in either dimension. Looking around, I have seen some 4 mil mylar sleeves meant for tabloid newspapers that would probably fit, but they don't have flaps for sealing. I've also seen some poly bags, but I was hoping to stick with mylar. Anyone know where I might be able to find 2 mil mylars with flaps in something like 12x18 or 13x19 sizes?

Mike

I've searched around quite a bit, but I can't seem to find a good answer to this. For storing most of my OA I've been using 11x17 2 mil mylar bags from BCW. However, I have some pages (mostly on DC/Vertigo boards) that are a bit bigger by an inch or so in either dimension. Looking around, I have seen some 4 mil mylar sleeves meant for tabloid newspapers that would probably fit, but they don't have flaps for sealing. I've also seen some poly bags, but I was hoping to stick with mylar. Anyone know where I might be able to find 2 mil mylars with flaps in something like 12x18 or 13x19 sizes?

Mike

These are what I use and then put them inside itoya 13 x 19 portfolios

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-1-2-x-18-1-2-inch-MYLAR-Sleeve-s-4mil-no-flap-/200405465175?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ea918b857

also consider e-Gerber.com

they are way cheaper but are archaic (don't expect a reply from an email...). You pretty much have to call to order but the prices were cheapest by far the last time I checked.

Malvin

Thanks for the info. So, should I generally not worry too much about the fact that they aren't sealed?

Mike

Since the bags are so much larger you can cut them to make your own flaps or , what i do, seal them with acid free tape. You can also put an acid free backing board for OA that you can buy that fits in perfectly from BCE.

Most of my art is between 11 X 17 or just below 13 X 19.  So for most of my art I bought:

1) 13 1/2 X 19 1/2 mylar 4 mil, no sleeve

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/product/6608/polyester-mylar-sleeve-4-mil-no-flapbr13-12-x-19-12-indefinite-storagebruse-for-original-art-prints

2) 13 X 19 X 0.4 " thick Alpha Cellulose acid free, lignin free, buffered board

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/product/6611/backings-for-original-artdigital-photo-13-x-19br040-thick-alpha-cellulose-boardbracid-free-lignin-free-buffered-font-colorredindefinite-storagefont

3) 13 X 19 microchamber paper to put between the mylar and the backing board

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/product/7521/archival-microchamber-paper-13-x-19-brremove-neutralize-acids-and-odors-in-paper

4) Gaylord Archival Storage Box.  I have used the Itoya portfolios, but art seems to slide towards the seems and can bend.  Also I worry about the bending when I turn the pages.  And as these mylars are not sleeved, I feel better that they are sealed in the box.  

https://www.gaylord.com/Preservation/Photo%2C-Print-%26-Art-Preservation/Storage-Boxes/Gaylord-Archival%26%23174%3B-Blue-Grey-Barrier-Board-Digital-Print-Box/p/HYB02341?mpcCode=ZZ

3 hours ago, Peter L said:

3) 13 X 19 microchamber paper to put between the mylar and the backing board

Do you mean between the art and the backing board?  See here for more information about MC paper. 

Conservation Resources are a good resource for archival boxes and MC paper, but you'll have to trim the paper down to size yourself.

27 minutes ago, Taylor G said:

Do you mean between the art and the backing board?  See here for more information about MC paper. 

Conservation Resources are a good resource for archival boxes and MC paper, but you'll have to trim the paper down to size yourself.

Placing the microchamber paper between the art and the backing board is what someone else on the boards suggested.  I never heard of this before today.  Do you recommend something differently?

On 8/13/2014 at 12:27 AM, AKA Rick said:

Go to BAGS UNLIMITED they have all sizes of mylars for original art and documents (showing specific dimensions for size customization)

They've become a good go-to place for supplies.

I've used them on a few occasions and have always had quality issues. The seal on their edges is frequently very weak. About one out of every five large (12x18+) sized mylars has been split.