• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did anyone collect Wizard Magazine?

34 posts in this topic

I had to throw out most of my old ones after a hurricane-caused water intrusion. The only part of my collection to be damaged were old Wizards, Hero Illustrated, Toyfare, Scrye, CBG, and Overstreet Fan. I got off easy, I'd say.

I've picked up a few replacement copies when I find them for 50 cents or less; they're good to have as a reference. A while back people were arguing about the old days when a New Mutants 95 was more valuable than a New Mutants 98 or whatever. Head to the reference shelf and pull out a Wizard. Not exactly the New England Journal of Medicine, but it's about the best published reference on the First Speculator Boom and Bust.

In some of the earlier issues, they used to print fractured nursery rhymes or stories along the bottom of the price guide section. In issue #17, they did a version of "The Night Before Christmas" and I have been trying to see if anyone had it printed or typed up.

Other than buying #17 again, I don't know any other way of finding this out.

I don't know if I 'collect' them, but I have probably 40-50 issue that I constantly read just for the helluvit. They are fun, and aside from the fiasco Wizard perpetrated onto the hobby, they were actually written in an entertaining fashion.

I absolutely LOVED Wizard when it was a thick, rectangular spine, with multiple letters pages and tons of cool articles (casting call, character battle, etc)

When it became thin and focused on movies it really went downhill.

I wish Wizard was still around.

+1

I miss that magazine. Just because you can get online content doesn't mean it's the same. I think there are some mags that are better in print than they could ever be online (Wizard, Ol Skool Rods, Barracuda)

I absolutely LOVED Wizard when it was a thick, rectangular spine, with multiple letters pages and tons of cool articles (casting call, character battle, etc)

When it became thin and focused on movies it really went downhill.

+1, towards the end it was a pamphlet with more ads and Top 10 lists than any actual comic news. The price "guide" became smaller and smaller as they needed more pages for ads because they were losing their shirt on trying to corner the market on hot books. They might have been the precursor to the current era of movie speculation we find ourselves in.