• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone seen a creator be a jerk?
2 2

422 posts in this topic

I've mentioned this story before, but here goes.

I love Neal Adams Batman bronze books, so I had to meet him, and get an autograph.

I paid for his sketch book so he would sign it, talked to him on how he was a big influence on my art aspirations.

He just up and yeah yeah yeah, this sketch book will be up on Ebay soon. I said no I dont sell at all, sure! I was kind of disheartened by his rude reply. 

I still have the sketch book too.

Edited by oakman29

8 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

I've mentioned this story before, but here goes.

I love Neal Adams Batman bronze books, so I had to meet him, and get an autograph.

I paid for his sketch book so he would sign it, talked to him on how he was a big influence on my art aspirations.

He just up and yeah yeah yeah, this sketch book will be up on Ebay soon. I said no I dont sell at all, sure! I was kind of disheartened by his rude reply. 

I still have the sketch book too.

shout OMG SOMEONE ELSE BESIDES NEAL ATOMS WANTS TO MAKE MONEY OMG OMG OMG THE HUMANITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wasn't too impressed with Tim Sale's interaction with another con goer at NYCC especially after the guy left.  I don't think he or his art rep realized I was there or within earshot and let's leave it at that. 

Edited by Buzzetta

I have a buddy who loves to be provocative & he’ll rile Neal Adams with his line of questions and of course Neal goes off on injustices of the industry, how he doesn't get the credit he deserves, etc. Not my style of interacting with a creator but fun to watch. 

39 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

didn't you mean Kneel Atoms?

If old Kneel is being a jerk tell him the jerk store called and they're running out of him!

On 11/22/2014 at 10:07 PM, slym2none said:

Ooh! Chris Claremont opened up my GN#5 (X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills) so he could sign it on the inside, as I requested, so far that I could see the old glue in the binding stretch and snap like old rubber bands, forever insuring it will never be a 9.8. Completely by accident of course, so I guess that doesn't work either...

LOL

4 years later and he is still doing the same mess.

Saw him this year and he totally molested my GN 5.

Folded that book like it was a newspaper

Edited by D2

I have a friend that runs a big show.  I do airport pickups for him, and he lets me choose who I want.  I have been lucky enough to engage with Perez, Frenz, Busiek, Jurgens, Graham Nolan, Tom Lyle, Tim Seeley, Mike DeCarlo and others.  I have never had a bad experience.  I hope that continues.  Oh, and Henry Winkler was great, too. 

I don't have jerk story, except for one time when Golden ignored me when all I wanted was one autograph.  Whatever.  He's on my list.

image.png.42401f5c60e9f3a820fab0e86a82ea2e.png

Edited by Spidey 62

Neal Adams. Stan Lee Los Angeles Comic Con 2016.

And here's the kicker: I wasn't even "at" his table. I was just walking by his table with some comics I had just purchased and turned to look in his direction and he saw me seeing him and he wiped the mustard off his chin from a cheese burger he seemed to be literally inhaling and scream at me, "YOU SHOULD COLLECT ARTWORK, NOT COMIC BOOKS. YOU SHOULD COLLECT MY ARTWORK NOT COMIC BOOKS!" 

I smiled, continuing to walk past him and looking directly at him said, " F*** you."

Edited by NoMan

24 minutes ago, NoMan said:

And here's the kicker: I wasn't even "at" his table. I was just walking by his table with some comics I had just purchased and turned to look in his direction and he saw me seeing him and he wiped the mustard off his chin from a cheese burger he seemed to be literally inhaling and scream at me, "YOU SHOULD COLLECT ARTWORK, NOT COMIC BOOKS. YOU SHOULD COLLECT MY ARTWORK NOT COMIC BOOKS!" 

I smiled, continuing to walk past him and looking directly at him said, " F*** you."

all time winner for that nut.  

39 minutes ago, NoMan said:

strangely it is the detail of the mustard on his chin that makes me smile.

1 hour ago, Artboy99 said:

strangely it is the detail of the mustard on his chin that makes me smile.

I mean if that's what you're into, I can go on.

The burger was beyond greasy. What struck me was all the grease and condiments were dripping onto the piece of art he was working on. Like I said I just kept trucking. Didn't really want to engage but I wonder about that commission he was doing, how he got the mustard, ketchup and pickles off it. 

Just now, NoMan said:

The burger was beyond greasy. What struck me was all the grease and condiments were dripping onto the piece of art he was working on. Like I said I just kept trucking. Didn't really want to engage but I wonder about that commission he was doing, how he got the mustard, ketchup and pickles off it. 

someone should put him and barry windsor hemmingworth maximillian smith IV in a room together and watch them fight over who's more important.  :popcorn:

2 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Funny zinger: "if you do a crappy drawing for me will you hold the pickles?"

I'll be honest here. I don't know much about Neal Adams except for the work he has done and I'm no pro at that either.. Has he got the reputation as a donkey? 

The only interaction I ever had with him is the one I wrote of above. Very odd to yell at someone simply minding their own business who happens to be walking by. 

Edited by NoMan

I'm bored so for my entertainment maybe we can switch this up.

Anybody ever see an artist/writer be gracious as can be with a fan who's rude as a turd? Demanding, cutting inline, telling them how to write/draw. I gotta go to a dinner party with the wife tonight and I'm dreading it. Need some laughs.