• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone seen a creator be a jerk?
2 2

422 posts in this topic

I heard a story about Barry (WINDSOR) Smith openly laughing and mocking a portfolio of some poor guy at a con....

anyone ever witness something like this?

I heard a story about Barry (WINDSOR) Smith openly laughing and mocking a portfolio of some poor guy at a con....

Before I opened this thread I automatically thought of my interaction with BWS, and lo and behold, your post was about him as well. I have met a ton of creators in my life, and he was hands down the biggest horse's I have come into contact with.

It was at Heroes Con about 25 years ago and there weren't any other attendees at his table. He had a sign on his table that stated he would sign 3 books only, which is not a problem with me. I walked up with my 3 books and stood there as he had a conversation with someone to his right, (another creator). I waited, and I waited, and he continued to ignore me. I was patient and chose to not be rude by attempting to interrupt him by saying hello. He had not yet looked at me, but then spoke in my direction without looking in my direction. He said "I will sign 3 books and 3 books only." He had not looked to see that I had 3 books on the table. He pulled the books over, while continuing his conversation with the other creator, his head still turned to the right. He signed the 3 books and did not try to make eye contact with me...did not speak to me, acted like I was not even there. Once they were signed he put down his marker and continued his conversation. I had to reach over and get the books myself. He did not look at me once.

Let me just say that I no longer own the books as I could care less.

Most creators are truly grateful and considerate of their fans, but BWS truly feels he is above his.

Before I opened this thread I automatically thought of my interaction with BWS, and lo and behold, your post was about him as well. I have met a ton of creators in my life, and he was hands down the biggest horse's I have come into contact with.

It was at Heroes Con about 25 years ago and there weren't any other attendees at his table. He had a sign on his table that stated he would sign 3 books only, which is not a problem with me. I walked up with my 3 books and stood there as he had a conversation with someone to his right, (another creator). I waited, and I waited, and he continued to ignore me. I was patient and chose to not be rude by attempting to interrupt him by saying hello. He had not yet looked at me, but then spoke in my direction without looking in my direction. He said "I will sign 3 books and 3 books only." He had not looked to see that I had 3 books on the table. He pulled the books over, while continuing his conversation with the other creator, his head still turned to the right. He signed the 3 books and did not try to make eye contact with me...did not speak to me, acted like I was not even there. Once they were signed he put down his marker and continued his conversation. I had to reach over and get the books myself. He did not look at me once.

Let me just say that I no longer own the books as I could care less.

Most creators are truly grateful and considerate of their fans, but BWS truly feels he is above his.

It is to bad that happened to you. You obviously were a fan as you had brought books for him to sign, and perhaps you were hoping to talk to him. Instead you got a rude display. Shameful behavior.

[font:Book Antiqua]Realistically speaking BWS quality of work its above and beyond...

guys do yourself a favor and buy the Opus books...[/font]

seasonpassing_zpsa7358b3c.jpg

I love his work

just wish he wasnt a jerk BUT his BA stuff was his peak-after that it wasn't very good at all so TAKE THAT punk.

After he became an arrogant WINDSOR he lost his skill lol

[font:Book Antiqua]Realistically speaking BWS quality of work its above and beyond...

guys do yourself a favor and buy the Opus books...[/font]

seasonpassing_zpsa7358b3c.jpg

Buckler was rude to me once.... but I did ask him how much Marvel paid .... so I probably had it coming. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

..... I may have also mentioned I was a big Kirby fan too.....

Oh artists HATE that question-it's virtually impossible to find an answer to that by googling or anything

I have 2 marvel artist friends and no idea what they make

Oh artists HATE that question-it's virtually impossible to find an answer to that by googling or anything

I have 2 marvel artist friends and no idea what they make

How much do you make? That's a ridiculously rude question to ask anyone, especially someone who doesn't know you from Adam.

I love Barry.. Met him twice.. He inpired me to draw just cause his talent is incredible and hes a true rock star! Before meeting Barry I always thought comic book people were geeky lol

I think that if you take him seriously he could be conceived as a snob, but what else do you expect from a Brit lol

BWS2.jpg

Bws_01.jpg

Im not gonna go and say who is NOTOROUSLY known for being arrogant and sometimes even disrespectful to his fans. Everyone in comicland knows who Im talking about. But its just not my style to talk smack about people.

I have many favorites, but by far, the nicest guy in the biz, in my book, is this guy:

perezandme.jpg