• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone seen a creator be a jerk?
2 2

422 posts in this topic

He has a unique style for sure. Take a good look at the Avengers 100 cover. It ain't workin' there, the legs and lines on the characters are all screwed up, it really looks bad.

Sorry to hear he's a jerk, he's not nearly good enough to get away with it.

I'm no huge Smith fan by any means, but that is a ridiculous thing to say.

He's one of the most important comic artists in the history of the medium. He was 23 years old (or younger) when he drew that Avengers #100 cover, and has, like most artists, improved greatly over the decades.

He said about his stint on Avengers he hated drawing books about characters he didn't care about at all

He has a unique style for sure. Take a good look at the Avengers 100 cover. It ain't workin' there, the legs and lines on the characters are all screwed up, it really looks bad.

He's one of the most important comic artists in the history of the medium. He was 23 years old (or younger) when he drew that Avengers #100 cover, and has, like most artists, improved greatly over the decades.

I think the reverse-he was good at 23 terrible after 27....

Are you serious?

Go out and buy The Studio. Go out and buy the Weapon X trade. Go out and buy Rune or Archer and Armstrong or his black-and-white Conan comics.

Well ok. I still think I'm right on though.

So pretty much it's Barry Smith.....

I've seen many...MANY...creators be jerks at shows. Happens all the time. They are human and the jerk ratio between normal humans and comic creator humans is pretty consistent.

One of the best things about Facebook is that the jerks usually out themselves as jerks long before you have to go through the time and trouble of gathering their comics and traveling to a convention to witness the jerk-face-sauce in person.

Are you serious?

Go out and buy The Studio. Go out and buy the Weapon X trade. Go out and buy Rune or Archer and Armstrong or his black-and-white Conan comics.

Ugh-I prefer his work on Conan

Rune the faces were stretched out about 10 feet and he lost that energy he had....

It's like he was trying for the Image style-not good.

Are you serious?

Rune the faces were stretched out about 10 feet and he lost that energy he had....

So you haven't seen ANY of his fine art work done in the last 25 years then?

Are you serious?

No that stuff is ok though I prefer his BA comic work

It's just his post BA comic work that makes me puke-Rune Weapon X et al

Are you serious?

Hardcover Weapon X trade :cloud9: ...... right next to my Hardcover All Star Superman 2 volume set :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I just love the crude energy of early Smith-it's like he enjoyed drawing back then

He's one of the most important comic artists in the history of the medium.

I've never heard of the guy.

You've never heard of Barry Windsor Smith? Or are you being a weinenheimer (as my PA Dutch side of my family would say)?

Are you serious?

Weapon X, to me, is the perfect melding of his fine art sensibilities and his comic art sequential story telling. If you ever have a chance to see it in its original art form the detail is hypnotic. Not that you have to like everything, of course.

windsorwolv_zpsd7d75894.jpg

I think anyone can have a bad day, especially spending 30+ hours at a convention. But when someone's reputation precedes them then it probably isn't a bad day. I've heard a few things, but never witnessed anything first hand. I've met very few creators, and all were nice when I met them.

I met Jose Conseco once though, and he must have been having a bad day lol

I'd love to stand puzzled in front of his booth and say to my friend 'who is Barry Wisner Smith?'

Are you serious?

Weapon X, to me, is the perfect melding of his fine art sensibilities and his comic art sequential story telling. If you ever have a chance to see it in its original art form the detail is hypnotic. Not that you have to like everything, of course.

windsorwolv_zpsd7d75894.jpg

That is pretty good

Also can't tell if you're joking, but going from some conversations we've had over the last few weeks, maybe he just never came up on your radar somehow. I know you mostly read creator owned work. He has certainly done some of that, but I guess I could see you missing him if you are not joking.

You've never heard of Barry Windsor Smith? Or are you being a weinenheimer (as my PA Dutch side of my family would say)?

Oh, I thought we were talking about someone else. Yeah, I've heard of BWS :blush:

But I have to say that although I thought the art in Weapon X was good, the layouts were absolute garbage. His Weapon X layouts are actually what I used as a prime example of what I hate about mainstream comics in the criticizing artists thread the other day. There is no need for layouts to be this complicated

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTSv8sde3ls9v1lwmCKWD0UzCxxLz1aMzUEqJKz4Xrm--01ZTtp

Also, although I think he's good at drawing, what makes him the most important artist in the history of the medium? That's quite a stretch lol

Mark Ryden has done comic work. Femke Heimstra. Camilla D'errico. Frank Frazetta.

I wouldn't say BWS is more "important" to comics as a medium than Robert Crumb, Art Spiegelman, any number of creators who pioneered a new genre, brought comics into a new light, started a widespread artistic movement within the medium, done anything to impact the medium in any significant way outside their own stuff.

Edited by dupont2005