• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone seen a creator be a jerk?
2 2

422 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, NoMan said:

I'll be honest here. I don't know much about Neal Adams except for the work he has done and I'm no pro at that either.. Has he got the reputation as a donkey? 

The only interaction I ever had with him is the one I wrote of above. Very odd to yell at someone simply minding their own business who happens to be walking by. 

he suffers from the people really liked him so he became a jerk to them syndrome.  It takes a special kind of a hole to be a jerk to the people that appreciate you.  Plus he believes the earth is hollow and shrinking so he's also a :screwy: crackpot.  No, Kneel Atoms, the Earth is not made out of Pym particles.  Those arent real.

Edited by kav

Y’know, the times I’ve been around Neal at cons, he’s been a class act.  Never one to sugarcoat things and strongly opinionated,  but very generous with his time.  Def has a mischievous side.

Ron Lim is super down to earth.  Matt Mayhew and Josh Middleton, as well.

I know I’m supposed to think up a jerk per the thread, but... drawing blanks here. lol

Edited by exitmusicblue

When I had Neal sign a book for me(Batman 251), he wasn't obnoxious, but he kept asking me what I paid for it, did I plan on selling it, etc. He was nice, but seemed to have a chip on his shoulder.

3 minutes ago, Larryw7 said:

When I had Neal sign a book for me(Batman 251), he wasn't obnoxious, but he kept asking me what I paid for it, did I plan on selling it, etc. He was nice, but seemed to have a chip on his shoulder.

Neal: STOP THINKING ABOUT MONEY.  It makes you seem petty and grasping, frankly.  WTF dude

13 hours ago, NoMan said:

I'll be honest here. I don't know much about Neal Adams except for the work he has done and I'm no pro at that either.. Has he got the reputation as a donkey? 

The only interaction I ever had with him is the one I wrote of above. Very odd to yell at someone simply minding their own business who happens to be walking by. 

Neal sometimes does that to attract attention to himself as a means to advertising that he is there.  At NYCC he is not with the other artists on Artist Alley and has his own setup upstairs.  Occasionally he will yell something out to attract attention to himself.  "Main stage is over here" or something to get attention. 

I've seen him grow more cynical over the years though from when he was charging MUCH less for a signature.   

7 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

Yes... this I have experienced as well.  However, when I explained what I did for a living his face lit up and he seemed excited about it and we conversed about it for a bit more as there was no one behind me that late into the show.  This was at a Big Apple show. 

5 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Neal sometimes does that to attract attention to himself as a means to advertising that he is there.  At NYCC he is not with the other artists on Artist Alley and has his own setup upstairs.  Occasionally he will yell something out to attract attention to himself.  "Main stage is over here" or something to get attention. 

I've seen him grow more cynical over the years though from when he was charging MUCH less for a signature.   

I am assuming that is because he has a small town of tables.  He usually gets 20 or more where he sets out his prints and books, and of course the signs where he lists his out of whack price list for sigs and photos. 

I wonder if he would be with everyone else if he had a smaller display.  I am also assuming he gets his space for the goose egg. 

14 hours ago, Ryan. said:

Neal is very clear that he sees the current state of the hobby as pure commodity driven. He's not necessarily wrong. 

I still don't agree with an embittered generalisation being imposed, by him or any other like-minded creator.

We're not all that way inclined.  

Edited by Ken Aldred

5 hours ago, Ryan. said:

Neal is very clear that he sees the current state of the hobby as pure commodity driven. He's not necessarily wrong. 

So he becomes a super commodity driven grasping money hungry a hole?  Sounds legit.   If he really thinks commodity driven is just awful then put his money where his mouth is and pull a Ditko.

Edited by kav

24 minutes ago, kav said:

So he becomes a super commodity driven grasping money hungry a hole?  Sounds legit.   If he really thinks commodity driven is just awful then put his money where his mouth is and pull a Ditko.

You misunderstand. He isn't angry about it. He embraces it. 

He also clears a lot of revenue with his admittedly high signature prices. 

Love him or hate him, he's getting his share of the pie. 

Just now, Ryan. said:

You misunderstand. He isn't angry about it. He embraces it. 

He also clears a lot of revenue with his admittedly high signature prices. 

Love him or hate him, he's getting his share of the pie. 

Just like the Jeffersons!!!

But I still dont understand when he gets irritated by the thought that others might get some pie off his sigs.

Or why he totally doesnt believe someone is not interested in pie.

"You'll make some nice cash selling that on ebay eh?"
"No Neal this is for me-I've always loved your-"
"Yeah yeah sure thing buddy"
"wtf"

I had 2 interactions with Neal.  One at my LCS and one at a convention.  Both times he was very nice and personable.  Got some prints signed by him and he would tell a story about each print I got.  At the convention, I had to wait until a local news crew was done interviewing him and he apologized for the wait.  Couldn't have been nicer.

As far as creators/artists being nice to an unappreciative fan (well, not really unappreciative, just young and dumb), that would have to be Bob Layton.  I went to a con with my nephew.  He asked me what I wanted to get.  Told him Bob Layton was there and I wanted to get an autograph.  He asked who he was.  Once we got to the con, I showed him some Iron Man covers.  He replied "He's not that good".  Took all I had not to backhand him right then and there.  SO, little bit later, we run across Bob sitting as his table.  NO LINE!  I walk up and start talking with him and grab a print for him to sign.  He asks my nephew, who is looking around, if he sees anything he likes.  I tell Bob that I showed him some covers and he didn't think they were that good.  Bob laughs and looks at my nephew and says "here take a look at this".  He pulls a portfolio out from under the table and hands it to my nephew.  As he is looking thru it, we can see his jaw drop and say "WOW, you are good!"  Bob laughs and says, "yeah, my mother thinks so too".  What a fantastic guy to deal with.

32 minutes ago, aszumilo said:

I had 2 interactions with Neal.  One at my LCS and one at a convention.  Both times he was very nice and personable.  Got some prints signed by him and he would tell a story about each print I got.  At the convention, I had to wait until a local news crew was done interviewing him and he apologized for the wait.  Couldn't have been nicer.

As far as creators/artists being nice to an unappreciative fan (well, not really unappreciative, just young and dumb), that would have to be Bob Layton.  I went to a con with my nephew.  He asked me what I wanted to get.  Told him Bob Layton was there and I wanted to get an autograph.  He asked who he was.  Once we got to the con, I showed him some Iron Man covers.  He replied "He's not that good".  Took all I had not to backhand him right then and there.  SO, little bit later, we run across Bob sitting as his table.  NO LINE!  I walk up and start talking with him and grab a print for him to sign.  He asks my nephew, who is looking around, if he sees anything he likes.  I tell Bob that I showed him some covers and he didn't think they were that good.  Bob laughs and looks at my nephew and says "here take a look at this".  He pulls a portfolio out from under the table and hands it to my nephew.  As he is looking thru it, we can see his jaw drop and say "WOW, you are good!"  Bob laughs and says, "yeah, my mother thinks so too".  What a fantastic guy to deal with.

why was the other stuff your nephew looked at not good and jaw dropping?  what was the covers you showed him?  If it was demon in a bottle I can understand your nephew's distaste.

Edited by kav

16 minutes ago, kav said:

why was the other stuff your nephew looked at not good and jaw dropping?  what was the covers you showed him?  If it was demon in a bottle I can understand your nephew's distaste.

Was a bunch of covers, don't remember which ones.  He was young and dumb.  I have since "educated" him on the good artists.

3 minutes ago, aszumilo said:

Was a bunch of covers, don't remember which ones.  He was young and dumb.  I have since "educated" him on the good artists.

Layton is too stiff for me and he draws heads like doll heads.  He's not bad, but I dont consider him great.