• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone seen a creator be a jerk?
2 2

422 posts in this topic

22 hours ago, Ryan. said:

You misunderstand. He isn't angry about it. He embraces it. 

He also clears a lot of revenue with his admittedly high signature prices. 

Love him or hate him, he's getting his share of the pie. 

what does he charge? I don't feel like reading this whole thing. thanks. 

13 hours ago, kav said:

I met Steve Ditko and he signed my huge stack of books then did a bunch of drawings for me and gave me a bunch of ASM pages and said call me any time!!! 

i told people repeatedly for about a year here that if you write Steve Ditko a letter you will 100% get a response. I bought an AF15 for a boat load of money and wrote SD asking him if it was a "wise investment." The return letter I got from him berating me putting me on full blast at what an insufficiently_thoughtful_person I am is classic and absolutely hilarious as only a grumpy angry SD can be. 

No I'm not gonna post it. Don't have a scanner and don't care if someone believes me or not. It's in the bank safe deposit box with the AF15. Both the letter and book will be for sale in about 25 years. You'll see it then.

Unless I die and then the my heir will sell it quicker then a New York minute probably to the LCS down the street even  though I'v left detailed instructions on it's sale and NOT TO SELL IT THE LOCAL COMIC SHOP. 

And that's where you'll probably find it. 

Edited by NoMan

11 minutes ago, NoMan said:

i told people repeatedly for about a year here that if you write Steve Ditko a letter you will 100% get a response.  

sent him 3 letters, got no response.

19 minutes ago, kav said:

sent him 3 letters, got no response.

That's impossible. Every single time I wrote him, he wrote back. We all know his disposition and that's just the way he is/was. I think I have about 2 letters out of about 20 where he seems like a super friendly guy other then that it was Super Angry Man. 

I'm curious as to what you wrote? And I wrote the full spectrum of letters: questions about Objectivism, dumb questions about a contractor I had working at the house, just really random, often surreal nonsensical, kinda stuff. Always got a letter back.  I can say I never asked about SM or SL or Marvel or the Marvel Movies or asked for an autograph (which you would get anyway with his return letter. Duh!) it was more like, "This contractor working at my house today says he met God at the liquor store down the street and God told him to buy a lottery ticket. He's offered me the lottery ticket but the guy just isn't doing the work here I hired him to do. What should I do?" BAM 5 days letter I get a letter with him telling me what I should do and how idiotic I was. No actually I believe he was super friendly guy with this letter. have to check. 

Seriously. I got mess tons of letters like that

if someone ever gets a hold of all the letters SD received and puts out a book called "From the desk of Steve: they're gonna have a field day with my letters. 

Edited by NoMan

3 minutes ago, NoMan said:

That's impossible. Every single time I wrote him, he wrote back. We all know his disposition and that's just the way he is/was. I think I have about 2 letters out of about 20 where he seems like a super friendly guy other then that it was Super Angry Man. 

I'm curious as to what you wrote? And I wrote the full spectrum of letters: questions about Objectivism, dumb questions about a contractor I had working at the house, just really random, often surreal nonsensical, kinda stuff. Always got a letter back.  I can say I never asked about SM or SL or Marvel or the Marvel Movies or asked for an autograph (which you would get anyway with his return letter. Duh!) it was more like, "This contractor working at my house today says he met God at the liquor store down the street and God told him to buy a lottery ticket. He's offered me the lottery ticket but the guy just isn't doing the work here I hired him to do. What should I do?" BAM 5 days letter I get a letter with him telling me what I should do. 

Seriously. I got mess tons of letters like that

here's the address I sent em to

Steve Ditko Artist 
200 West 51st Street
New York, NY 10019-6833
USA

1 hour ago, NoMan said:
On 10/7/2018 at 2:32 PM, Ryan. said:

You misunderstand. He isn't angry about it. He embraces it. 

He also clears a lot of revenue with his admittedly high signature prices. 

Love him or hate him, he's getting his share of the pie. 

what does he charge? I don't feel like reading this whole thing. thanks. 

I believe Kneel is up to $50 per signature.  And close to that for a photo with him. 

3 minutes ago, kav said:

here's the address I sent em to

Steve Ditko Artist 
200 West 51st Street
New York, NY 10019-6833
USA

this is where i sent mine:

Steve Ditko

1650 Broadway

Ste 715

New York, NY 10019-6833

the last letter I wrote him was on 6/22/2018. Perhaps the very day he died.

6 minutes ago, NoMan said:

this is where i sent mine:

Steve Ditko

1650 Broadway

Ste 715

New York, NY 10019-6833

the last letter I wrote him was on 6/22/2018. Perhaps the very day he died.

Maybe his last words were "Oh, not another one!"

7 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I Live! said:

somewhere in that apt was the return letter-

On 10/6/2018 at 5:48 PM, Ryan. said:

I don't know if Don Rosa has been brought up yet in this thread but the answer to the subject of this thread should start with Don Rosa. 

He‘s only been super-nice the times I’ve interacted with him, but I did see him turn into a surly grampa when a con-management gofer accused him of not paying his table fee.

10 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I Live! said:

It very well could have been. I expressed concern for his health as he has missed my last two letter. 

Nobody knows Ditko. I really never brought up my corresponding with him as there is a deeply rooted camp here thinking "you're bothering him" (as if they know what his desires are/were) 

I told his niece point blank that i was writing him and asked her if he enjoyed corresponding with people. She said he loves getting and answering letters but he's a bit of a "difficult presonality" and if that's gonna bother you don't write. She said he would love to say "politically charged things around the dinner table then sit back and enjoy the sparks fly."

Edited by NoMan

1 minute ago, NoMan said:

he would love to say "politically charged thinks around the dinner table then sit back and enjoy the sparks fly."

my kinda guy for sure.

It very well could have been. I expressed concern for his health as he has missed my last two letter. 

Nobody knows Ditko. I really never brought up my corresponding with him as there is a deeply rooted camp here thinking "you're bothering him" (as if they know what his desires are/were) 

I told his niece point blank that i was writing him and asked her if he enjoyed corresponding with people. She said he loves getting and answering letters but he's a bit of a "difficult presonality" and if that's gonna bother you don't write. She said he would love to say "politically charged thinks around the dinner table then sit back and enjoy the sparks fly."

I'm in the 'he loved letters' camp. I never agreed with the harassment view of others, which was patronising. Old doesn't mean infirm or weak. If he didn't enjoy it, he wouldn't have done it is my view. 

Just now, Get Marwood & I Live! said:

I'm in the 'he loved letters' camp. I never agreed with the harassment view of others, which was patronising. Old doesn't mean infirm or weak. If he didn't enjoy it, he wouldn't have done it is my view. 

but some pull out of their head (based on no information what so ever ) that He was being "polite" in returning a letter sent to him as this was of his generation. Based on nothing. 

but some pull out of their head (based on no information what so ever ) that He was being "polite" in returning a letter sent to him as this was of his generation. Based on nothing. 

no one politely answers hundreds of letters year after year.

6 minutes ago, NoMan said:

I'd say they were pulling that out of somewhere else myself...

6 minutes ago, kav said:

no one politely answers hundreds of letters year after year.

Steve was likely just doing in letter form what we do in post form on this site day after day - disagree with other people as if we're right about everything!