• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone seen a creator be a jerk?
2 2

422 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Get Marwood & I Live! said:

Steve was likely just doing in letter form what we do in post form on this site day after day - disagree with other people as if we're right about everything!

you're wrong though-

Just now, Get Marwood & I Live! said:

Steve was likely just doing in letter form what we do in post form on this site day after day - disagree with other people as if we're right about everything!

I wonder where he is now? Asking Ayn Rand for her autograph? Getting is a fistfight with Jack Kirby or saying to himself, "well, mess I was wrong about everything."

49 minutes ago, NoMan said:

this is where i sent mine:

Steve Ditko

1650 Broadway

Ste 715

New York, NY 10019-6833

the last letter I wrote him was on 6/22/2018. Perhaps the very day he died.

45 minutes ago, kav said:

son of a b-

if only I had the correct address.

How DARE he move without notifying you kav!

2 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

How DARE he move without notifying you kav!

It's all very disappointing.  Ayn Rand would not have done that.

Edited by kav

20 minutes ago, kav said:

It's all very disappointing.  Ayn Rand would not have done that.

but she took Social Security in her older years just fine as Steve Ditko's man Robin Snyder resorted to online begging to make and get SD stuff out there. 

Isn't Objectivism every person cares for themselves  and hand outs are not needed as objectivists are "Supermen?" Always wondered about this. Should have asked Steve.

59 minutes ago, Hekla said:

Any Arthur Suydam stories? 

I've seen him at a few shows. The first time I was talking with him was when the Marvel Zombie craze was blowing up. I made a comment about how cool I thought it was when a niche/indie artist  suddenly gained huge popularity & good for him. Looking back I guess you could take offense with the wording of what I meant, and he certainly did. He went on about how he'd been a top talent in the art community for 20 plus years,  I agreed saying I always loved his Continuity stuff for Neal Adams. It went down hill from there so I backed away without asking why his table only had like 400 Marvel Zombie prints and little else.

22 hours ago, NoMan said:

i told people repeatedly for about a year here that if you write Steve Ditko a letter you will 100% get a response. I bought an AF15 for a boat load of money and wrote SD asking him if it was a "wise investment." The return letter I got from him berating me putting me on full blast at what an insufficiently_thoughtful_person I am is classic and absolutely hilarious as only a grumpy angry SD can be. 

No I'm not gonna post it. Don't have a scanner and don't care if someone believes me or not. It's in the bank safe deposit box with the AF15. Both the letter and book will be for sale in about 25 years. You'll see it then.

Unless I die and then the my heir will sell it quicker then a New York minute probably to the LCS down the street even  though I'v left detailed instructions on it's sale and NOT TO SELL IT THE LOCAL COMIC SHOP. 

And that's where you'll probably find it. 

You can just post a picture of the letter. No need to bring a scanner to the bank. :foryou:

On 10/8/2018 at 2:08 PM, Hekla said:

Any Arthur Suydam stories? 

He was at a con I attended a couple of years ago. He wouldn't sign anything unless you bought it from his table.

He had everything waaaaaay overpriced. He was asking $40 for books you could find for $1 - $2.

Hard pass.

2 minutes ago, Dr Zen said:

He was at a con I attended a couple of years ago. He wouldn't sign anything unless you bought it from his table.

He had everything waaaaaay overpriced. He was asking $40 for books you could find for $1 - $2.

Hard pass.

Them indie artists-

On 10/8/2018 at 3:21 PM, boomtown said:

I've seen him at a few shows. The first time I was talking with him was when the Marvel Zombie craze was blowing up. I made a comment about how cool I thought it was when a niche/indie artist  suddenly gained huge popularity & good for him. Looking back I guess you could take offense with the wording of what I meant, and he certainly did. He went on about how he'd been a top talent in the art community for 20 plus years,  I agreed saying I always loved his Continuity stuff for Neal Adams. It went down hill from there so I backed away without asking why his table only had like 400 Marvel Zombie prints and little else.

Reminds me of my one and only interaction with Don Rosa...

interested in doing a sketch?  No?  That’s cool, but let me just say thank you, Scrooge and the nephews and Donald were some of my favorites as a kid...oh, you want to snidely tell me that Donald belongs to Carl Barks?  Even though Donald is all over your wall art?  F you too.

Besides George Perez, I'd list Tim Sale as one of the nicest people I've ever interacted with at a show.  Each time I have had the pleasure of chatting with him he's been super nice, and gracious with his time.  Class act.

Edited by Lucky Baru

16 hours ago, Aliens said:

i dont want to start any controversy (as in lets not fight, rather have a peaceful "talk)...  but i am an objectivist, steve actually introduced me to the concept and i later grew a passion fro it through Ayn Rands novels and conpects of moral righteousness, (the fountainhead, atlas shrugged, etc.) anyways, Objectivism is a very controversial subject becuase it represents "selfishness" as a good thing, but what i dont appreciate is when people use that as an excuse to hate on something that has no concern on "them". if you dont agree on a concept or dont want to take the time to understand it then just disregard it... respectably no one should care about your opinions if they dont affect "me". but selfishness in the concept of "objectivism" is not exactly what people say it is... here is a quick video that sums up the correct views on the philosophy...

p.s. Robin Snyder is not a man she is a woman, and i have corresponded with her many times and truthfully i see where your point is coming from as she "begs" for money in the campains to publish steve's books, but then again she gives things to you if you contribute so its not like your "donating money" and also it is the fans choice to do so, no one is making you do anything. i happen to have contributed to those campaigns myself and you even get your name printed on the back of the book you helped make possible, and i persnally am a fan of ditkos work he has done with robin, i fined them very informative and "good reads" (as i agree on most points that steve brings up)  

fair enough.  Why did Ayn except Social Security in her later years? Is that not a hand out? Aren't there members in american politics today that idolize Rand and her silly belief system who want to do away with SS because, (as they reason) it's a government hand out?? Steve's books should sell on their own merit enough for Snyder ( I really though he was a he, but if you say so) to not beg for money? Yes, it's begging. So obviously his books DON'T sell and he's not the creator he believes himself to be that can care for himself. What about the New York case worker that found him dead? So he had a case worker paid for by, yup, probably New York tax payers. Steve being cared for by others.

I've met objectivists before. Never liked a one of em. Maybe you would be an exception. One was a grown adult man at the supermarket bagging groceries. He would never should the F up about objectivism so one day I told him  "Shouldn't you be a Superman not a bag boy? He never spoke to me again. 

But if it works for you fine. And a friendly discussion is better.

Watched your video. You're quoting Angelina Jolie? And that's a good thing? Do you know Angelina Jolie? I've worked 3 decades in Hollywood doing lighting for all manner of projects. I've worked with Jolie numerous times. From Herb Ritts photo shoots when she was no one (with her father, Jon Voit ,I beleive) to the megalomaniac she is today. But's that'a a good thing to be? Just taken' care of yourself! She really had to work hard to get where she is today! Nothing was given to her! It's just so laughable. Since I can't get political here, perhaps I can slip this by: People: If you're trying to get people behind your cause STOP quoting HOLLYWOOD CELEBRITIES. Ellen DeGeneres IS Donald Trump. They are the same! They're just selling you what you already want to buy. Like Objectivism. Or The right Or the Left.

Sorry everyone. Mod delete if you feel the need. 

Edited by NoMan

My two cents on Neal Adams. I first encountered Neal at one of Phil Seuling's NY Comic Conventions in the early 70s. Neal was extraordinarily gracious, doing detailed sketches for fans, who surrounded him everywhere he went. Fast forward a few years, after many of those sketches were put up for sale and Neal's original art went missing from DC after he had argued for the return of all art for the artists who had drawn it, Neal wasn't quite as free with his time and talents. I can't blame him for his reaction.

7 minutes ago, Tony D said:

My two cents on Neal Adams. I first encountered Neal at one of Phil Seuling's NY Comic Conventions in the early 70s. Neal was extraordinarily gracious, doing detailed sketches for fans, who surrounded him everywhere he went. Fast forward a few years, after many of those sketches were put up for sale and Neal's original art went missing from DC after he had argued for the return of all art for the artists who had drawn it, Neal wasn't quite as free with his time and talents. I can't blame him for his reaction.

that certainly puts some context into things. thanks

21 hours ago, Dr Zen said:

Hard pass.

fast way to reduce the number of fans you have.

7 hours ago, NoMan said:

fair enough.  Why did Ayn except Social Security in her later years? Is that not a hand out? Aren't there members in american politics today that idolize Rand and her silly belief system who want to do away with SS because, (as they reason) it's a government hand out?? Steve's books should sell on their own merit enough for Snyder ( I really though he was a he, but if you say so) to not beg for money? Yes, it's begging. So obviously his books DON'T sell and he's not the creator he believes himself to be that can care for himself. What about the New York case worker that found him dead? So he had a case worker paid for by, yup, probably New York tax payers. Steve being cared for by others.

I've met objectivists before. Never liked a one of em. Maybe you would be an exception. One was a grown adult man at the supermarket bagging groceries. He would never should the F up about objectivism so one day I told him  "Shouldn't you be a Superman not a bag boy? He never spoke to me again. 

But if it works for you fine. And a friendly discussion is better.

Watched your video. You're quoting Angelina Jolie? And that's a good thing? Do you know Angelina Jolie? I've worked 3 decades in Hollywood doing lighting for all manner of projects. I've worked with Jolie numerous times. From Herb Ritts photo shoots when she was no one (with her father, Jon Voit ,I beleive) to the megalomaniac she is today. But's that'a a good thing to be? Just taken' care of yourself! She really had to work hard to get where she is today! Nothing was given to her! It's just so laughable. Since I can't get political here, perhaps I can slip this by: People: If you're trying to get people behind your cause STOP quoting HOLLYWOOD CELEBRITIES. Ellen DeGeneres IS Donald Trump. They are the same! They're just selling you what you already want to buy. Like Objectivism. Or The right Or the Left.

Sorry everyone. Mod delete if you feel the need. 

its not my video i have no input in it i found it in youtube and thought it explained it well enough, so no im not quoting Angelina Jolie, also i can assure you i am a quiet objectivist, i keep my moral beliefs to myself, i live by them but i dont talk about it, its no ones business but mine, i respect your opinions on the subject, i dont agree with all of it, but i understand. heres the rule of thumb i independently live by,

"one" should live the way he/she feels themselves is morally right in a logical and understandable state for the independents own well being as long as the logical action(s) does not affect other independents lives without the other independents fully understood consent in their own logical state of mind. and i put this concept to work to each respectably. you dont have to follow this concept, yoi dont have to agree, or even regard it, its my personal way i wish to live and that shouldn't affect anyone else but me. i dont like people who scream their views to the world and hate on people who dont agree on the same things. also Ayn Rand was not perfect. she was a human being living by her rules. i respect and honor her but that is nearly all. i dont follow Ayn Rand directly, i just follow her concept.

Edited by Aliens

19 minutes ago, Aliens said:

its not my video i have no input in it i found it in youtube and thought it explained it well enough, so no im not quoting Angelina Jolie, also i can assure you i am a quiet objectivist, i keep my moral beliefs to myself, i live by them but i dont talk about it, its no ones business but mine, i respect your opinions on the subject, i dont agree with all of it, but i understand. heres the rule of thumb i independently live by, "one" should live the way he/she feels themselves is morally right in a logical and understandable state for the independents own well being as long as the logical action(s) does not affect other independents lives without the other independents fully understood consent in their own logical state of mind. and i put this concept to work to each respectably. i dont like people who scream their views to the world and hate on people who dont agree on the same things. also Ayn Rand was not perfect. she was a human being living by her rules. i respect and honor her but that is nearly all. i dont follow Ayn Rand directly, i just follow her concept.

My wife is a social worker. She deals with women forced from their homes for hellish reasons with nothing. One shoplifted food for one of her children. because they were literally starving to death.  I just see Mr. A. throwing an all black playing card at this poor woman screaming "GUILTY" at her as he shoves her to her death off a high rise building.

Let's leave it. It sounds as if you pick and choose what you like from Objectivism, not accepting things you disagree with. I would't think that would make you an Objectivist just a free thinking person who does indeed think for themselves just as I like things from the right but am not GOP and like things from the left and sure as mess aint a (the other party) 

I've demolished this thread enough. So if you would like to continue in PM that would be fine or you should have the last word here since I had the first words.

Edited by NoMan