• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mylar + microchamber paper

108 posts in this topic

I was curious about this as well since "the other company" won't be using MCP.

Wow, that's unfortunate. The MCP has buffering properties as well as acts as a barrier between interior pages and cover for books where you can get an exchange of oils. I'm surprised to hear this.

Really? Such a low cost preventative measure - at 2-3¢ each in bulk, it seems like a non-issue. Especially considering that 6¢ per slab is worth guarding against potential comments and discussions such as this one where people say "But CGC puts microchamber papers in!" Small investment to avoid a topic where your service is viewed as "less than" your competitions.

For me, MCP is one of those things you put in a comic for long-term preservation in terms of yellowing, odor, etc. Now that I know more about it, I put them in all my books.

Really? Such a low cost preventative measure - at 2-3¢ each in bulk, it seems like a non-issue. Especially considering that 6¢ per slab is worth guarding against potential comments and discussions such as this one where people say "But CGC puts microchamber papers in!" Small investment to avoid a topic where your service is viewed as "less than" your competitions.

For me, MCP is one of those things you put in a comic for long-term preservation in terms of yellowing, odor, etc. Now that I know more about it, I put them in all my books.

Same here, if just for the small peace of mind it provides.

If i were to slab a book and the inner well was mylar and i did not include mcp, how long before the book starts to eat itself?

The book will not eat itself. Books will last for years in nothing but a Mylar and a backing board. The environment in which the book stored is more crucial to page quality longevity than microchamber paper.

The point of mcp is to primarily trap the off gassing of the Barex, not the book.

Is there a link for a good place to purchase MCP? I knew that CGC placed them in slabbed books, but for some reason, it never occurred to me to put them in my mylar'd books. :ohnoez:

Good thread....

If i were to slab a book and the inner well was mylar and i did not include mcp, how long before the book starts to eat itself?

The book will not eat itself. Books will last for years in nothing but a Mylar and a backing board. The environment in which the book stored is more crucial to page quality longevity than microchamber paper.

The point of mcp is to primarily trap the off gassing of the Barex, not the book.

That's not true at all - barex is completely inert. The mcp is there to absorb the off-gassing from the paper.

Is there a link for a good place to purchase MCP? I knew that CGC placed them in slabbed books, but for some reason, it never occurred to me to put them in my mylar'd books. :ohnoez:

Good thread....

Board member InvstmntComcSuply (formerly grinin) sells MCP here on the boards.

That's not true at all - barex is completely inert. The mcp is there to absorb the off-gassing from the paper.

I disagree.

Do you place the mcp between every page or could you just use one behind the front and back covers?

I place all of the books I want to keep or have "value" in an eGerber mylar and half-back and am very anal-retentive when it comes to protecting my stuff.

Thanks in advance!

I disagree.

This is what i was getting at. There has to be some reason that 1 company uses the mcp and the other chooses not to. If there is some hard evidence that a mylar'd book with gerber fullback doesnt need mcp, id love to hear why. Also, if it does need it, love to hear why as well.

Good thread....

Board member InvstmntComcSuply (formerly grinin) sells MCP here on the boards.

He provides a very good service (thumbs u

I disagree.

It's not an opinion - it's a fact that barex is inert & archival-safe. You can't disagree with the documented scientific composition of a specific material.

I disagree.

This is what i was getting at. There has to be some reason that 1 company uses the mcp and the other chooses not to. If there is some hard evidence that a mylar'd book with gerber fullback doesnt need mcp, id love to hear why. Also, if it does need it, love to hear why as well.

Jim's incorrect. Barex and mylar share the same qualities with the main difference being that mylar is clearer. Again - mcp is there for the book, not the holder.

I disagree.

Jim's incorrect. Barex and mylar share the same qualities with the main difference being that mylar is clearer. Again - mcp is there for the book, not the holder.

Its just hard to believe that someone in the slabbing industry long enough would decide not to include mcp within the slab to absorb the gases from the paper.