• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is considered Key Magazine Issues?
2 2

90 posts in this topic

Just starting to finally buy some mags. Always stayed away because of size difference. Any key issues for a marvel fan of first appearances in mags versus traditional comics?

Marvel Preview 4

Marvel Preview 7

Savage Tales 1

Any others?

Although not a Marvel magazine or Curtis Publication, may I suggest the rare Warrior Magazine #1 from Quality Publications.

It's a key for two reasons:

1. 1st Appearance of V for Vendetta by Alan Moore

2. The return of Marvelman by Alan Moore (now in reprints by Marvel Comics).

I've been trying to get a copy for the longest but it is VHTF in high grade and I'm a stickler for high grade.

Sadly, this magazine is oversized and the CGC will not slab.

But still, a great and important magazine to own.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warrior_(comics)

SW3D

Edited by SW3D

Epic Illustrated #3. 1st Dreadstar. Capt. Britain #8, 1st Psylocke.

I would also add Nexus #1. Not a high-value comic, but a key as an important 80's/90's title nonetheless.

Edited by jmh722

Love and Rockets 1

Captain Britain 8 (UK)

2000 A.D (first Judge Dredd)

[snip]

Dr Who Weekly (UK)

UK is a great, still-undervalued source of some real rarities with real potential for Marvel collectors. I'd add Warrior #1 to this list (first Alan Moore Marvelman, not to mention first V for Vendetta).

I'd also add Frantic Winter Special 1 and Not the World Cup Special (early Alan Moore work for Marvel UK) along with all of his Captain Britain stuff through Daredevils, Mighty World of Marvel and Marvel Super-Heroes.

Oh, and he did many issues of Dr. Who Weekly and Star Wars Weekly for Marvel UK. You can also find early Grant Morrison work in multiple Marvel UK titles.

Epic magazines are significant by themselfs... :cloud9:

15 features another Dreadstar goodness

regards

As far as keys go, Epic Illustrated # 3 is the book to get as it is the 1st app of Dreadstar.

Slabbed copies of # 3 aren't going as high as they were when the movie was announced but when the cast crew, release date are announced, I thinkslabbed 9.8's will sell at higher prices than were previously realized.

Starlin apparently has taken a proactive role in the movie's development, as well.....

“Dreadstar is one of the most important comics on the 1980s, paving the way for creators to control their own creations,” said co-producer Ford Lytle Gilmore. “After decades of Jim exercising that control and turning away countless Hollywood suitors, I'm excited he's trusting me and J.C. to do it right."

http://comicbook.com/blog/2014/04/04/dreadstar-movie-in-the-works/

Transformers #113 (UK) should be added if we are talking oversized comics which most early UK ones were. Very hard to find at all and very hard to find in high grade as they were razor thin - maybe 10 pages.

And also because it has a Neal Adams comic in it titled Deadman, which bears absolutely no resemblance to the DC character! This Deadman is an actual corpse that foils crime!?!? Great issue, to be sure, but you could also include April 1971, June 1972 and August 1973 all of which sport Frazetta covers!

And it contains full color comics from Neal Adams and Vaughn Bode! That issue is a trifecta and I still recall my excitement buying it off the newsstand. I have all my National Lampoons from number one (4/70) to 12/74 sitting in 5 NL binders not 6 feet from where I'm typing this. That magazine is number one in my book especially for those stellar years....art by Adams, Barry Smith, Gray Morrow, Joe Orlando, Russ Heath, Mike Kaluta, Berni Wrightson, Jeff Jones, Frazetta, and so many others. There really should be a collected edition of all the comics created for NL's golden age and beyond!

While there probably should be a thread devoted to National Lampoon, if we're going to talk KEY then my picks would be threefold! #1 would be The National Lampoon 1964 High School Yearbook Parody, particularly the original edition which has an upside down and flip over element to it so one can place it on a table and it actually looks like a yearbook from afar, as opposed to the front display cover with the 'cheeky' cheerleader!

#2 would be the very obscure hardcover edition of the National Lampoon Encyclopedia Of Humor which has a dust jacket sporting a front cover illustration by Wrightson and a rear cover by Frazetta and includes lots of great interior art by Heath (Cowgirls At War!), Edward Gorey, Vaughn Bode, Jeff Jones and others. However to have a complete copy it must include the pull out Map Of The World at the rear and most importantly the VW ad that was razored out of many copies due to a possible lawsuit that was threatened.

#3 would be either the softcover version of #2 or the sequel to #1, i.e. The National Lampoon Sunday Newspaper Parody in it's original packaging with all sections present. In my opinion as a long time collector of many things NL those would be my picks for key magazine issues.

Interesting. If you have these i would love to see them here or in a new NL thread. Also would like to see what the NL binders look like. Not a big NL collector myself, more of a Frazetta fan but always appreciate what others collect! (thumbs u

Interesting. If you have these i would love to see them here or in a new NL thread. Also would like to see what the NL binders look like. Not a big NL collector myself, more of a Frazetta fan but always appreciate what others collect! (thumbs u

Sorry, I have no camera but pix of all my picks can be found pretty easily all over the web or here: http://www.marksverylarge.com/

BTW, if you're interested in Frazetta re:NL I also suggest, along with the three covers and 1 back cover he did as mentioned in previous posts, the November 1971 issue - Horror. Inside there is a comic book parody titled Dragula. Frazetta did the full color cover while Neal Adams again tackled the interior black and white artwork. Great cover, great story and lots o' nekkid ladies, to boot! In my mind it's quite KEY!

>> I have all my National Lampoons from number one (4/70) to

>> 12/74 sitting in 5 NL binders

What kind of demented crazy person are you???

I had the first 7 years of Lampoon, in those bright yellow binders,

for a long time. Finally got tired of lugging them around, and sold them.

But it was a great magazine. A lot of talent on display there.

- Foto Funnies

- Mrs. Agnew's Diary

- Tarzan of the Cows

- How to Write Good (Michael O'Donoghue)

- The New 1896 Sex Catalogue (Doug Kenney, RIP)

My friends and I were big fans of Mad magazine. But when I saw an issue of NL

the first time (I was 16), Mad suddenly seemed childish, something for babies.

And NL seemed so ... I don't know. Subversive. Adult. Smart.

I was instantly hooked.

gozer

Kids, you tried your best, and you failed miserably.

The lesson is, never try.

Who's lugging? The binders are sitting on a shelf to the left of me as I type this! They've been there for many years, get picked up and perused from time to time, and I didn't even mention my, not one, but 2 complete and near complete runs of the National Lampoon annuals, specials, calendars, iron-on books, songbook, etc. one set sitting collectibly in short boxes and the other set displayed prominently on a bookshelf in my hallway, spines out!

NL was and is an obsession of mine.....I still buy copies I have multiples of when I see them for sale CHEAP!!! I've even taken copies of the Very Large Book of Comical Funnies and the 1964 High School Yearbook Parody and have had them converted into hardcover editions by having my binder remove the covers, mount them onto boards and then reattach them to the text block as one sees in libraries around the world in order to create books that can stand up to abuse.

In the case of the Yearbook, in the original first printings the book could be flipped over and set on a table to look like a real yearbook via the faux-yearbook looking back cover. They changed that aspect in later editions and when the book was reprinted a few years ago in hardcover the publisher missed the opportunity to do it right and create a real looking Yearbook. So I went ahead and had it done myself as I'm unaware of paperback yearbooks, only hardcovers! Duh!

Don't get me started on my NL LP, pocket size paperback, and button collections! Not to mention a few of their posters and trading cards!

I'd like to revive this thread and mention Vampirella #1 Annual- origin issue

I think of this book just as important as Vampi #1.

I had that book. I'm not sure I'd consider it a key. It's certainly pricey, but I attribute that mostly to it being scarce rather than being a key.

I'd like to revive this thread and mention Vampirella #1 Annual- origin issue

I think of this book just as important as Vampi #1.

I had that book. I'm not sure I'd consider it a key. It's certainly pricey, but I attribute that mostly to it being scarce rather than being a key.

I beg to differ. It was a new or improved origin for Vampirella. I wasn't considering the scarcity in high grade or price tag. Though if I would have to give my raw beauty a grade, it would be in that 9.2ish area. Which does make me a happy camper indeed. :cloud9: