• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'Shazam' movie official thread (because he deserves one too)
3 3

1,885 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, kimik said:

That is being generous.......

9 hours ago, Chip Cataldo said:

Looks like bad cosplay. 

From one back shot you came to that conclusion? That's definitely some incredible perception skills.

I think this movie will be fun and people will end up liking this more than any other DC movie than Wonder Woman.

This is were the original Captain Marvel gets revenge on Superman. All these years suppressed because of that lawsuit. People forget that Shazam outsold Superman. 

It won't be a big movie box office wise,but critically people are going to love it. It will start a new trend away from those dark n gritty movies. There will be a Shazam 2.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

6 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

From one back shot you came to that conclusion? That's definitely some incredible perception skills.

It's really easy. I look at the picture, see the fake-looking costume and it takes me out of the perceived "reality" it's supposed to convey. I recognize there's a chance that in-action it may be better and more realistic, but the past DC movies haven't had advance still shots that made me feel this way. 

24 minutes ago, Chip Cataldo said:

It's really easy. I look at the picture, see the fake-looking costume and it takes me out of the perceived "reality" it's supposed to convey. I recognize there's a chance that in-action it may be better and more realistic, but the past DC movies haven't had advance still shots that made me feel this way. 

And it's really easy to overthink these things. It's not like we have talking raccoons, gods with hammers only they can lift, an alien coming to our planet that is super-powered by the rays of the sun, a fellow bitten by a radioactive spider leading to him having super-powers, or a female goddess leaving her hidden island to save mankind.

Think about it. This is Shazam. A little boy that becomes gifted with the power to say a magic word turning him into a massive super-powered adult able to match Superman in many ways. It needs to be over-the-top. Especially if it is conveyed from the kid's perspective.

Shazam-Capt-Marvel-Intro.jpg

55 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

And it's really easy to overthink these things. It's not like we have talking raccoons, gods with hammers only they can lift, an alien coming to our planet that is super-powered by the rays of the sun, a fellow bitten by a radioactive spider leading to him having super-powers, or a female goddess leaving her hidden island to save mankind.

Think about it. This is Shazam. A little boy that becomes gifted with the power to say a magic word turning him into a massive super-powered adult able to match Superman in many ways. It needs to be over-the-top. Especially if it is conveyed from the kid's perspective.

Shazam-Capt-Marvel-Intro.jpg

More kids will probably be able to relate to him just like kids can relate to Rocket Raccoon and Groot.

This is the hero DC needs. 

Plus he wil seem fresh like Wonder Woman because he has not been overused,

On 2/28/2018 at 9:44 AM, ComicConnoisseur said:

More kids will probably be able to relate to him just like kids can relate to Rocket Raccoon and Groot.

This is the hero DC needs.

I agree.  When I was 10 or 11 years old in the early 70's my neighborhood movie theater had a Saturday Morning Matinee showcasing the "Adventures of Captain Marvel" with Tom Tyler film serial.  I think a child's ticket was .75¢ to get in and each weekend they showed a Tom & Jerry cartoon, two B-Westerns and one chapter of Captain Marvel that ended as a cliffhanger.  I thought Captain Marvel was the greatest thing I've seen since "Destroy All Monsters", Disney's "Jungle Book"; and "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly."  I never missed a Saturday showing for 12 straight weeks as I was enthralled with seeing each serial chapter episode. :popcorn:

Billy Batson turning into Captain Marvel was impressionable and appealed to me as a young kid, I think a few years later on Jackson Bostwick starred as Captain Marvel in Shazam! on Saturday TV which was a pretty cool show to watch back in the day too!  Of course I'm from the "Wacky Races" generation to appreciate such things...

Edited by Mr.TawkyTawny

15 hours ago, nearmint said:

This movie is going for the broad audience that loved BIG.  I don't think they're shooting for the normal superhero market.

Rats. I was hoping for the next dark instalment from the DCEU!

You know... Black Adam wreaks havoc in Fawcett City with wanton death and destruction; pounds the living daylights out of the Shazam/Superman team up, before finally being turned into a crumbling skeleton by Billy Batson shouting Shazam whilst hiding underneath him.

Now that's a movie.

Just in case WB are watching, I'm available to write and direct Flashpoint...

Edited by Batman
Spelling :/

1 hour ago, Batman said:

Rats. I was hoping for the next dark instalment from the DCEU!

You know... Black Adam wreaks havoc in Fawcett City with wanton death and destruction; pounds the living daylights out of the Shazam/Superman team up, before finally being turned into a crumbling skeleton by Billy Batson shouting Shazam whilst hiding underneath him.

Now that's a movie.

Just in case WB are watching, I'm available to write and direct Flashpoint...o

That doesn't work for the Shazam in his universe. Not every universe has to be dark like Batman's. Having Shazam dark would be like making Plastic Man's universe dark.

I think the majority of people are looking for good feel movies when they go to the theatre which most likely explains why the Chistopher Reeve Superman movies are still beloved.

5 hours ago, Mr.TawkyTawny said:

I agree.  When I was 10 or 11 years old in the early 70's my neighborhood movie theater had a Saturday Morning Matinee showcasing the "Adventures of Captain Marvel" with Tom Tyler film serial.  I think a child's ticket was .75¢ to get in and each weekend they showed a Tom & Jerry cartoon, two B-Westerns and one chapter of Captain Marvel that ended as a cliffhanger.  I thought Captain Marvel was the greatest thing I've seen since "Destroy All Monsters", Disney's "Jungle Book"; and "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly."  I never missed a Saturday showing for 12 straight weeks as I was enthralled with seeing each serial chapter episode. :popcorn:

Billy Batson turning into Captain Marvel was impressionable and appealed to me as a young kid, I think a few years later on Jackson Bostwick starred as Captain Marvel in Shazam! on Saturday TV which was a pretty cool show to watch back in the day too!  Of course I'm from the "Wacky Races" generation to appreciate such things...

When I was a kid I always found the Shazam cartoon/comics cool and said wow these would make for a great movie.

Also thought his uniform was cool.

Image result for shazam cc beck

30 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

That doesn't work for the Shazam in his universe. Not every universe has to be dark like Batman's. Having Shazam dark would be like making Plastic Man's universe dark.

I think the majority of people are looking for good feel movies when they go to the theatre which most likely explains why the Chistopher Reeve Superman movies are still beloved.

Sod 'em. I want dark.

Besides, modern Shazam is a far cry from the Big Red Cheese of yesteryear. It's not without its darkness.