• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'Shazam' movie official thread (because he deserves one too)
3 3

1,885 posts in this topic

For those more knowledgeable than I am with the characters history please correct me. This is my take as I recall it. Captain Marvel started out in Whiz with Fawcett Comics in the 1940's. DC Sued Fawcett in the 1950's stating they stole the idea from Superman. During this suit, Marvel Comics jumped in during the copyright lapse and trademarked the name Captain Marvel out from under them. Now that is low. By the 1970's DC had licensed the characters and by the 80's or 90's acquired all rights. 

Is this pretty much the long and short of it?

10 minutes ago, Oddball said:

For those more knowledgeable than I am with the characters history please correct me. This is my take as I recall it. Captain Marvel started out in Whiz with Fawcett Comics in the 1940's. DC Sued Fawcett in the 1950's stating they stole the idea from Superman. During this suit, Marvel Comics jumped in during the copyright lapse and trademarked the name Captain Marvel out from under them. Now that is low. By the 1970's DC had licensed the characters and by the 80's or 90's acquired all rights. 

Is this pretty much the long and short of it?

Prit'near.  With the issue of Marvel Super-Heroes #12, Stan Lee and Gene Colan created their alien Captain Marvel aka Mar-Vell in December, 1967.  :smile:

5ae98b64dfc27_CopyrightComics.jpg.28cbbcc28c0d8aa5dd05455756eafdee.jpg:smile:

It is surprising that this movie has such a feel good, fun vibe to it coming from DC who are very grim and gritty in their movie universe. I wish Marvel would follow suit and do some more "gee whiz" type movies with lesser budgets. Cloak & Dagger with a "Hackers" vibe for instance. Power Pack would clean up in the 12 and under set with this vibe as well. Even a Miles Morales movie with the Shazam feel. No need for everything to have the same vibe, keep doing what you are doing with the big boys but do not be afraid to mix it up for the young'uns!

12 hours ago, Bird said:

... keep doing what you are doing with the big boys but do not be afraid to mix it up for the young'uns!

In the early '80s I was working for Time/Warner and a new video copy of "The NeverEnding Story" was running in one of our editing rooms.  I walked in and started watching it, and over time four or five other busy coworkers with more important things to do happened to drop in and also got hooked watching.  Didn't matter at all that none of us saw it from the beginning, there were seven adult guys all standing around an editing room quietly riveted to the monitor to see how this facinating movie ended.  Needless to say not much work got done that day.  :smile:

2013621168_TheShazamFamily.jpg.8386033c7098643514cab4c2b098de9b.jpg

Set visit report from Superhero News.

Set Report: How ‘Shazam!’ Fits into the DCEU and Everything Else You Need to Know

Shazam! is indeed set in the current DC Films universe (DCEU) that began in Man of Steel.

This was made clear throughout the set visit. All that’s happened in the previous DCEU films has transpired in the world of Shazam! Metropolis was nearly destroyed, the Justice League got together, and Aquaman is popular enough to have t-shirts that are fixtures of Freddy Freeman’s (Jack Dylan Grazer) wardrobe.

“We are definitely within the DCEU world,” said Shazam himself, Zachary Levi. “I think since the Man of Steel, all of that has really happened in our world. All of that stuff, theoretically, we could have been watching on the news as it was going down.”

The New 52 and classic, Golden Age comics influenced the film

“I wanted to incorporate a little bit of everything,” director David F. Sandberg said. “Not just in [New] 52, but the older stuff as well. The suit is one part of that where it’s like, ‘Yeah, I want the shorter cape of like the Golden Age comics.’ But then, ‘Let’s try the hood from the New 52.’ And little things like that, and trying to balance it. So we have things and references from the old comics, but a lot of the story takes inspiration from the New 52.”

The New 52 was particularly influential when it came to Dr. Sivana, about which Mark Strong was very excited. “Well as you all know this is the New 52 version in which he’s much more robust and much more powerful,” Strong said. “He is a proper supervillain.  He gets to fly, he can create electric fields in his hands and fire electricity.”

Shazam! is a fun movie, but not a response to any criticism of the DCEU

“Not really,” Sandberg responded when asked if he thought about any previous criticisms of the DCEU while developing Shazam! It’s a fun movie and Sandberg noted that “it’s not dark and gritty,” but that’s simply because the story features a kid getting super powers. Going lighter and having more humor comes naturally with that premise

The movie was influenced by 80s favorites

Aside from the obvious similarities to Big, Sandberg also mentioned Goonies, Ghostbusters, and Back to the Future as films he would compare to Shazam! in terms of the tone and feel of the movie.

On 1/21/2019 at 5:10 AM, Mr.TawkyTawny said:

Prit'near.  With the issue of Marvel Super-Heroes #12, Stan Lee and Gene Colan created their alien Captain Marvel aka Mar-Vell in December, 1967.  :smile:

Yeah, Marvel didn't steal the trademark from anyone; their version appeared over a decade later after the trademark had lapsed. 

They weren't even the first company to grab the trademark, either. This goofy dork appeared in 1966, with the amazing power to detach his body parts. 

Split01.jpg