• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'Shazam' movie official thread (because he deserves one too)
3 3

1,885 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I thought it as very gracious and classy of DC Films to include Jerry Ordway in the end credits.  (thumbsu

Would love to have a giclée print of this classic Ordway Power of Shazam cover art.  Would look fabulous framed on my office wall...  :cloud9:

906696948_JerryOrdwayPowerofShazamClassicCover.thumb.jpg.5daba65e07a34e862f8588d60bcc0cfa.jpg

Edited by Mr.TawkyTawny

And how about the hints of things to come...

Spoiler

Black Adam: The Wizard taking Billy Batson through the history of his decisions and we get to see a quick glimpse of Black Adam killing people as he felt the power of a god.

Mister Mind: Appearing twice (once in the cave, once in the credits), his appearance was not all goofy but rather very creepy looking. Though it was interesting he is so small, Billy missed him in that first scene while MM watched him.

It is interesting how much a few negative votes can make to an average score when Rotten Tomatoes aggregates all critic feedback.

shazam_rt01.PNG.9e017d6fbddd8357e13b4755ec7a3838.PNG

Just 3 'rotten' reviews out of 46 total contributors takes the overall score from a 97% to 93% right now. Although that Average Rating at 7.75/10.0 is a very strong statement how much those that enjoyed Shazam REALLY enjoyed the film.

One of the three film critics, it turns out, is not a fan of superhero movies. He has bashed Marvel and DC films alike leading to social media blowups.

shazam_rt_critics2.thumb.PNG.42b78c7d784b8787c5a9eaf55ba17589.PNG

Ignoring his mistaken play on words ('Lightening' vs. 'Lightning'), it appears he came to do more of the same.

EVAN DOSSEY - Shazam Review

He also was not a fan of Captain Marvel. So at least he is consistent. :insane:

EVAN DOSSEY - Captain Marvel Review

There will be a lot of debate over whether or not Captain Marvel is Marvel Studio’s first major misfire since Thor: The Dark World in 2013. Maybe.

Most importantly, Zachary Levi and Asher Angel have offered a distinctly charming version of Shazam to go along with Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman and Jason Momoa's Aquaman. Shazam ends its story in an auspicious place that will absolutely leave folks excited for a sequel. If WB keeps this up, they may end up with a true murderer's row of Super Friends who we'd actually want to see interacting in another Justice League (especially if they wise up and go the Legion of Doom/Challenge of the Superfriends route). For the first time, the theoretical battle between DC Films and the MCU feels like a fair fight. Shazam is just that good.

Joblo.com loved the film.

SHAZAM! is unapologetically a film set in the DCEU with plenty of references to Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and Aquaman (and surely more that I missed) and I was surprised at how much they played into the story in various little ways. It's much more connected than either WONDER WOMAN or AQUAMAN in that sense, but it all fits and makes perfect sense to do so. And that's another thing that makes SHAZAM! so effective; it's clever as hell. There are so many moments that unfold in this film that will have you smiling from ear-to-ear at how perfect and clever they are, wether they're addressing familiar tropes, embracing the world and situation they're living in or simply turning the genre out a bit, the film is hardly a stale recreation of everything you've seen before and that's a beautiful thing. It also benefits from some genuinely rousing and heroic moments, some of which I simply can't spoil here (even if Funko already did). No matter how you slice it and despite any flaws in pacing or style, SHAZAM! is an absolute gem and a damn fun time at the movies.

Overall: 9.0/10.0

Warner Bros.’ Fandango preview screening yesterday at 1,200 struck lightning with a $3.3M gross besting the paid-preview figures of DreamWorks Animation-Fandango preview of How to Train Your Dragon 3 ($2.6M),  Atom & Amazon’s WB preview of Aquaman ($2.9M), and Atom/Amazon’s previews of Sony’s Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle ($1.8M) and Hotel Transylvania 3 ($1.3M).

Edited by Bosco685

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Warner Bros.’ Fandango preview screening yesterday at 1,200 struck lightning with a $3.3M gross besting the paid-preview figures of DreamWorks Animation-Fandango preview of How to Train Your Dragon 3 ($2.6M),  Atom & Amazon’s WB preview of Aquaman ($2.9M), and Atom/Amazon’s previews of Sony’s Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle ($1.8M) and Hotel Transylvania 3 ($1.3M).

Awoke this morning with the indelible imagery of the Shazam! movie in my head and picked up tickets for the first screening in RealD 3D.  Gotta see the Rock of Eternity scenes in its full glory as the filmmakers intended.  Woo-hah, got you all in check!  :headbang:

2103978112_RealD3DScreeningShazam.png.a272fdd214bfca5b1fa45ce9a6bd83e6.pngMindblown.gif.cbd5e7b2fe868bf4610022ecdba43afb.gif954795663_3Dmovieaudience.jpg.13b83d19d384c2680c86c7bb012c1d6a.jpg

Edited by Mr.TawkyTawny

10 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

One of the three film critics, it turns out, is not a fan of superhero movies. He has bashed Marvel and DC films alike leading to social media blowups.

shazam_rt_critics2.thumb.PNG.42b78c7d784b8787c5a9eaf55ba17589.PNG

Ignoring his mistaken play on words ('Lightening' vs. 'Lightning'), it appears he came to do more of the same.

EVAN DOSSEY - Shazam Review

He also was not a fan of Captain Marvel. So at least he is consistent. :insane:

EVAN DOSSEY - Captain Marvel Review

146595977_Stupidpeopledontknowhowstupidtheyare.gif.f1c4de317d4b1a3773c398762864a7d9.gif

:facepalm:

Saw Shazam this weekend. Overall really enjoyed this movie. Different from any modern DC movie so far. Yet same level of quality as Wonder Woman and Aquaman, for completely different reasons, of course. The comedy was there, the heart was there, the action was well done. As many predicted the movie has allot of 'Big' but with a superhero feel to it, and in some ways its even more than that.

Positives:

-Refreshingly light hearted, at times (while still demonstrating the serious impacts of 'super-powered' actions / inaction)

-Not all the comedic moments are in the trailer (there's some additional laughs you haven't seen yet)

-Lots of fun Easter eggs tie-ing to the rest of the DCU

-Fun for adults and kids...though you might need to shield your kid's eyes in a few scenes (the board room raises the stakes & warrants hands over the eyes for those under 10)

-(Positive just for me) I'm a South Jersey kid, so I loved seeing Philly as a backdrop for a major comic film (though I've read this was also filmed in Canada)

-Strong family theme (and a couple heart wrenching moments) give this movie more heart than previous DC movies

I can't think of any major drawbacks, but I'd say the director was trying to strike a challenging balance between minor elements of horror suspense (monsters) and a youthful comedy. I'm sure Sandberg couldn't help himself w/ some of the minor horror elements, given his expertise (and he does that well). But, at times you can be left wondering is this going to take a darker turn...or stay light and that makes some of the transitions a bit jarring.  Really fun movie...definitely predict a strong box office performance.

Edited by philsbackpack

On 3/23/2019 at 2:37 PM, Bosco685 said:

One constant complaint from the old Fawcett Comics fans is this is not following THEIR Captain Marvel/Shazam lore. The same challenge that comes with characters around for multiple decades which went through a few lore revisions.

Yup. 

There's all the 70s material, Jerry Ordway's run and the Geoff Johns origin retelling to factor in.

Still looks much closer to the comics than its identically-named competitor does.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Wonderful interview with Marta Milans on Cheddar Business.  I'm a new fanboy after seeing her in Shazam!  Marta is astoundingly adorable as Rosa Vasquez, both her and Cooper Andrews contributed exquisite acting performances.

Marta Milans introduces a different kind of super hero

(thumbsu

Edited by Mr.TawkyTawny