• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'Shazam' movie official thread (because he deserves one too)
3 3

1,885 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Waiting for 'Hey, WB made a Shazam movie' post from you.

(: :jokealert:

i'm a bit dense about comic based movies.........also surprised regular movie viewers that saw it liked it less than the RT 'pro' reviewers.....88 to 92.

Edited by krighton

5 minutes ago, krighton said:

i'm a bit dense about comic based movies.........also surprised people that saw it liked it less than the RT 'pro' reviewers.....88 to 92.

There are some complaining about the dark parts disrupting the comedy. Like it needed to be funny all the way through. Or even calling Mark Strong's character as flat (he isn't). Go figure!

Shazam! is riding a wave of strong reviews (93% fresh and a 7.37/10 on Rotten Tomatoes) and strong buzz (including that nationwide sneak preview two weeks ago that earned $3.3 million right out of the gate), and now it has earned a promising $5.9 million in Thursday previews. Combined with the sneak preview grosses, that gives the David F. Sandberg-directed comic book superhero comedy $9.225 million heading into the conventional Fri-Sun frame. That's up there with the $11 million Thursday launch of Wonder Woman and the $13 million Thursday launch (including sneak previews) of Aquaman.

That $5.9 million figure may be well below the previous Thursday night debuts of every other DC Films flick, but this one cost just $90 million to make. So if it plays merely like The Nun ($106 million domestic and $356 million worldwide last September) or Dwayne Johnson’s Rampage from last April ($100 million domestic and $428 million worldwide), it’ll still be a big hit. The film was tracking at $45 million for the weekend, but we could (optimistically speaking) see a figure as high as $60 million. Again, over/under $45 million would be fine at the budgetary levels we’re working with.

A $5.9 million figure, if it merely legs out like The Nun ($5.3 million Thursday/$53 million opening weekend) suggests a $59 million debut frame (and $62 million counting the previews). A conventional comic book multiplier (9% to 12% on Thursday) puts this one in (counting previews) the $52 to $69 million range. A performance like Skull Island (which snagged a 3.x weekend multiplier and earned just 6% of its weekend from $3.7 million in Thursday grosses) would give Shazam! a ridiculous $100 million weekend, That’s more “fun with math” than “realistic possibility.”

Saw it with family & Shazam seemed more of a blundering insufficiently_thoughtful_person than a hero for most of the film. To those who said the villain was weak, well the hero was even weaker. Only the end turned it around imho. Not a film I plan to see again. Definitely not on par with Wonder Woman & Aquaman as far as I'm concerned.

9 hours ago, JazzMan said:

I could not have been more wrong about this movie from the trailer.  The movie was excellent, the --script was good and actors were spot on.  If you're a Captain Marvel fan...oops, a Shazam fan, you'll catch on some of the Easter eggs that are peppered throughout the movie.  This was genuinely a fun movie to watch and if you're not into superhero movies, you'll still have a grand old time.  I recommend watching it in theaters.

I'm going to see this movie either this weekend or next.  I've heard it's actually pretty good from several people. 

23 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Really good movie.  Enjoyed it more than I expected!  Great overall surprise ending.

Do we see Dwayne Johnson/Black Adam asking "can you smell what Shazam is cooking?" lol

Some Pre-Shazam viewing recommendations:

1. Superman/Shazam: Return of Black Adam

2. Batman Brave & the Bold S02 E10 'The Power of Shazam'

3. JL Unlimited S02 E07 'Clash' - Superman vs Captain Marvel leading to Captain Marvel quitting the JL

4. Young Justice S01 E13 to E22

5. DC Nation Shorts 'Wisdom', 'Stamina', 'Courage'

17 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

'Clash'

I think some people underestimated  Shazam`s appearances on JLU. JLU introduced millions of fans to Shazam.  

I see the same thing will happen if they make John Stewart the major Green Lantern in the next GL movie.

This JLU series was a gateway to the DC Universe for a lot of people.