• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'Shazam' movie official thread (because he deserves one too)
3 3

1,885 posts in this topic

Warner Bros. and DC Films’ Shazam opened with a terrific $20.5 million Friday, including $5.9 million in Thursday previews but not including $3.3 million in national sneak previews from two weeks ago. That gives the film a $23.825 million running domestic cume and a real shot at ending up over $55 million by tomorrow night. Couple that with an A from Cinemascore and we have another DC Films hit. Yes, this will be a lower debut than even Aquaman’s $72 million (counting its own sneak previews) Fri-Sun launch last December, but Shazam is a $90 million New Line joint, so the variables are a little different. At its cost, even a Conjuring-like performance (around $110 million domestic and around $350 million worldwide) would be a solid win.

Edited by Bosco685

China audiences are reacting lukewarm to the film.

Supposedly they are now used to the bigger superhero films, and not liking this is so focused on children in simple conflicts. We shall see.

Edited by Bosco685

Saw it last night on 3d, last showing, theatre was about 1/3 full.  It was really, really good.  One of the better villains, but was a bit intense, I don't think I'll be taking my daughter to see it.  IMO, scarier than any marvel movie.  A little slow at times to get going in, but overall a fun time.

I put this as the best Capitan marvel movie of the spring.

8/10

Quite a few MCU fans posting how Shazam is failing at the box office, and how Captain Marvel beat Captain Marvel. Oddly enough, Deadline posted this:

Deadline Saturday Update: Shazam box office

Shazam! is doing just fine elsewhere with No. 1 rankings in 61 markets (and is strong domestically). He’s looking to get up around the $100M zone in the offshore debut, but as we noted yesterday, a softer-than-hoped China performance puts that in a close swing.

Word of mouth is understood to be impacting the Middle Kingdom, as well as the strength of local actioner P Storm which is in the top spot (though it too saw an F-S drop, of about 11%). The Shazam! Douban score has slipped to 6.7 and we’re hearing that the youth-skewing American humor may not be translating quite as well as hoped. With an estimated $25.1M (RMB 168.5M) through Saturday, the full weekend in China should top out around $35M. (It’s worth noting that there’s sometimes a silver lining when a movie isn’t overly reliant on China given the return on box office in the Middle Kingdom is lower than elsewhere.)

It would appear China is the main concern as it is not taking to the child humor.

Saw this on opening night in a major metropolitan city.  The theater was nearly completely empty.  This movie is NOT going to be a blockbuster, and will only be considered successful because of its intelligent budget (I'm looking at YOU, Aquaman and Justice league). 

As for the movie itself, first the Good-  the child actors are mostly great in their roles.  The villain had some some genuinely scary/intimidating screen time, and his motivations were believable enough.   

Now for the "Meh".  Zachary Levi- eh.  He was all right.  He certainly ain't no Tom Hanks though as his attempts to behave "like a child" fluctuated between 7 year old dumb and petulant 35 year old man-boy (basically Levi playing himself).  The teen he was supposedly playing the full grown up version of was NOTHING like the characterization the child actor playing the teen was doing.  Maybe the two actors should have spent some more time together off screen to synch up their energy and performances better (assuming they hung out together at all off screen).

The Bad-  Way, way too long.  This movie would have benefited GREATLY from another pass or two or three through the editors' room.  At two hours and 15 minutes it is stupidly and unnecessarily loooooong.  This movie would have been much more enjoyable had the useless/repetitive 30-45 minutes worth of footage was left on the cutting room floor.  Also, the CGI, specifically the creatures, was barely passable, but generally unfortunate looking.

Final Take- Go for the villain and the kids (even though the villain is basically just playing Zod, I happen to like Zod :grin: ).

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

This is gold, two Hollywood visionaries talking movies.  Kudos to a very busy guy like Peter Safran to also take the time to sit down for these Shazam! promotional interviews.  Rarified air to ever see a movie producer do this sort of thing.

I particularly personally enjoyed the Boardroom Scene immensely.  Who hasn't sat in an executive level corporate boardroom meeting where there's always a hugely overpaid Peter Principle turd in the punch bowl psychopath sitting at the conference table you'd like to pick up like Dr. Sivana and throw out the window.  :smile:

Edited by Mr.TawkyTawny

Saw it this afternoon. It really captures the whimsy(updated of course!) of the original source material. Zachary Levi triumphs as "Shazam"( though not a single person refers to him by this name throughout the entire movie). It's whimsical and funny, but also dark at times. Some of it is probably too scary for little kids(though I know I would've loved it!).

I'm really glad that modern audiences are finally getting a glimpse of the superhero who, for a time, outsold Superman and Batman. It's not only a good superhero movie, but just a good film period.

19 minutes ago, Mr.TawkyTawny said:

Love the results everytime his pencil touches a blank sheet of paper.  :x

Jerry Ordway has been a big supporter of this movie, which has been really cool to read about. Even his interactions with the cast and David Sandberg.