• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'Shazam' movie official thread (because he deserves one too)
3 3

1,885 posts in this topic

$40M-$45M now is leaning towards $57M at the Domestic Box Office.

DC_MCU_BO190407a.thumb.PNG.03ec086f7dd8d70fa17afe657f90bbe0.PNG

'Shazam!' Box Office: The Other Captain Marvel Nabs Super $57 Million Debut

Warner Bros. and DC Films’ Shazam! brought the thunder this weekend, opening with a terrific $56.775 million in its domestic debut. That counts both $3.3 million in sneak preview screenings, meaning the straight weekend total was $53.4 million giving the film a solid 2.644x weekend multiplier. Yes, that’s the lowest debut ever for a DC Films flick and (sans the sneaks) the lowest debut for a “big” DC or Marvel comic book movie since Fantastic Four ($25.6 million in 2015). But, and this is a big “but,” the movie cost just $90 million to produce and was based on a lower-tier/lesser-known character. Relatively speaking, this is a big win for DC Films under Walter Hamada and a promising start for a very good movie.

The hope is that the well-reviewed (91% fresh and a 7.27 average critic rating on Rotten Tomatoes) and well-received (an A from Cinemascore) superhero flick will leg out at least for the next three weeks until Avengers: Endgame opens on April 25 at 6:00 pm. That’ll be on Shazam!’s 21st day of release, so it should have made its case as a hit or a miss by then no matter what Earth’s Mightiest Heroes do to the superhero under dog. Moreover, even if Avengers 4 puts the harm on Shazam!’s otherwise strong post-release momentum, Warner Bros. will get its revenge when Detective Pikachu brings its own lightning against the Avengers on May 10 and then again on May 31 with Godzilla: King of the Monsters.

26 minutes ago, paperheart said:

$450MM WW still seems like a possible target. at least the movie was a critical hit if not a huge box office bonanza.

Pretty decent considering it was in between two Marvel blockbusters Captain Marvel and Avengers :Endgame. As in a good majority of people just saw Captain Marvel and now are chilling waiting for Endgame.

I don't think the Hellboy reboot will come close to the Shazam numbers unfortunately.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

22 minutes ago, Action252Kid said:

Sounds like it should get a sequel, or at the very least, the Black Adam movie should be pretty likely after these results?

Most definitely there will be a sequel just hope the wait is not as long as Aquaman 2! 

Maybe Black Adam will be the sequel?

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

'Shazam' Opens To Thunderous $159 Million With Open Road Ahead

As I predicted, early tracking and pre-release estimates were far too low for the latest entry in DC's shared cinematic universe, as Shazam! thundered to an opening bow of about $57 million in North America, including early screenings. Overseas, Shazam! has topped $102 million, bringing its total global bow to approximately $159 million.

While $57 million domestic and $159 million worldwide may not sound as heady as some other record-setting superhero cinematic debuts, this is a much more modest production -- with a budget of $90+ million and no more than roughly $40 million in marketing -- sporting a more moderate, contained story. Shazam is also a less well-known character to mainstream audiences, with a softer marketing footprint.

But make no mistake, this is a big win for Warner Bros. and DC Films. With relatively restrained production and marketing costs, the film will break even at somewhere around $250+/- million, and now there's no question it will fly far higher than that when it ends its box office run.

I'm still expecting Shazam! will leg out to the $500+ million range, based on the excellent word of mouth from audiences who gave it an A grade at Cinemascore.

6 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I plan to go back this week.

I've seen it twice as a prescreen :sorry:

I feel bad now that they haven't earned my money :(

tis a great movie, but I doth can't see it thrice....

4 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I've seen it twice as a prescreen :sorry:

I feel bad now that they haven't earned my money :(

tis a great movie, but I doth can't see it thrice....

Prescreens went into opening weekend totals. Which is why it jumps to $157M. So you did your part!

emotion01.gif.aa402591239e8af18d7aca4740e93967.gif