• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'Shazam' movie official thread (because he deserves one too)
3 3

1,885 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

He is supposed to gain those traits as Shazam (although none of that came through in Levi's performance either), not become a completely different personality. Levi never came off as more than a kid playing with a new toy, including the end sequence where the movie went a bit off the rails.  

-J.

'a bit off the rails'? In what way? :popcorn:

3 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

You mean like Spider-verse, which, at only $375MM didn't make any money for the studio theatrically either ?

-J.

Umm...Spider-Verse only made 16% of its worldwide box office total from China -- it's not even in the same league there as Venom.

Just now, Bosco685 said:

'a bit off the rails'? In what way? :popcorn:

I don't want to give it away...

When he turned all the other kids into Shazams, it was overkill and a needless distraction from Billy's heroics. Although the sequence was still entertaining in a silly fun way.

-J.

2 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Umm...Spider-Verse only made 16% of its worldwide box office total from China -- it's not even in the same league there as Venom.

That's my point.  Shazam looks like it will play more like Spider-verse than Venom. Spider-verse was not profitable theatrically.  

-J.

33 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Really ?

Venom is this movie's direct recent comp. 

If that turned a $250MM profit (after ancillaries) on an $850MM worldwide BO,  how does this movie "turn a nice profit" on the $350MM-$400MM it is expected to make?  (shrug)

-J

don't know. ask the guy who wrote the article

https://deadline.com/2019/04/shazam-sequel-henry-gayden-screenwriter-returning-1202591584/

Edited by paperheart

On 4/6/2019 at 11:56 AM, Bosco685 said:

Quite a few MCU fans posting how Shazam is failing at the box office, and how Captain Marvel beat Captain Marvel. Oddly enough, Deadline posted this:

Deadline Saturday Update: Shazam box office

It would appear China is the main concern as it is not taking to the child humor.

China's main concern is those kids aren't working in sweat shops.

41 minutes ago, D84 said:

China's main concern is those kids aren't working in sweat shops.

41 minutes ago, D84 said:
  On 4/6/2019 at 12:56 PM, Bosco685 said:

Quite a few MCU fans posting how Shazam is failing at the box office, and how Captain Marvel beat Captain Marvel. Oddly enough, Deadline posted this:

Deadline Saturday Update: Shazam box office

It would appear China is the main concern as it is not taking to the child humor.

I thought it was a little awkward when little Eugene picks up the nunchaku and hits himself with it. Did the filmmakers have Eugene do that because he's Chinese-American? And was that maybe a little racist? I wonder if China thought that was funny?

8 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I thought it was a little awkward when little Eugene picks up the nunchaku and hits himself with it. Did the filmmakers have Eugene do that because he's Chinese-American? And was that maybe a little racist? I wonder if China thought that was funny?

Nunchaku are Japanese (believed to originate in Okinawa).  Chinese people would know the difference. 

4 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Man of Steel did 668 million worldwide, so if Shazam does 500 million ww that is very impressive.

The irony also will be Shazam will get a sequel before Superman does!

:whatthe:

I know.  Though I am looking forward to a Shazam! sequel, it seems very odd that it will be out before Man of Steel 2.

1 hour ago, @therealsilvermane said:

1 hour ago, D84 said:

Nunchaku are Japanese (believed to originate in Okinawa).  Chinese people would know the difference. 

I guess when someone is digging for a reason to call out this movie outside of China, they blend them together. :facepalm: @@therealsilvermane be better than this. :foryou:

The race has not been the issue noted. China now expects these movies to be big-budget productions (big action scenes, multiple characters, more adult humor). Then there are some as payback for what happened with Captain Marvel have been spreading the word that David Sandberg and Zachary Levi put down the movie even though there have been Twitter posts and multiple articles with them saying the opposite of this. It feels very biased toward one studio right now.

I had a few attempting to convince me of the Sandberg and Levi negative details. But when they shared the articles supposedly noting this, it turned out THEY WROTE THEM on a blog site. And didn't like when I pointed them to the articles noting the opposite of their message.

Edited by Bosco685

Nice little backstory to the production development of Shazam! and a heartfelt thank you from Executive Producer Dwayne Johnson for its box office successes.  Wasn't aware of the 10 year development process to green-light the film project.  Thank you to 'The Rock' and his 'gut' feeling and industry connections to make this motion picture a reality.  (thumbsu