• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'Shazam' movie official thread (because he deserves one too)
3 3

1,885 posts in this topic

We’ll find out whether the reviews and buzz that carried Shazam! to nearly $57 million domestic debut was merely an illusion. With $69.75 million in its first seven days, the day-to-day weekday holds have not been super-duper. It jumped 61% on Tuesday, and it’s not that far behind The Winter Soldier (which opened on the same weekend in 2014) in terms of “weekend-to-first week” multipliers. With 1/3 of the opening weekend audience made up of under-17-year-olds (and thus in school), it could still maybe/possibly hold at least as well as Captain America: The Winter Soldier (-56% in weekend two) if not Rampage (-43% in weekend two), as Hellboy’s reviews aren’t going to help make its case as the “other” horror-infused comic book superhero movie. Moreover, it should be just over/under $200 million worldwide (on a $90 million budget) as it enters weekend two.

The pre-release reviews were excellent, the word-of-mouth (an A from CinemaScore) was solid, and it marks DC Films’ third straight good-to-great solo superhero movie in a row. It’s proof positive that DC Films can make a good superhero flick from a deeply cult-level hero. It’s also proof, as a kid-friendly fantasy set in the same world as Man of Steel, that they don’t have to reboot in order to change direction after the ambitious but divisive Zack Snyder flicks. By the way, you can note that DC Films has turned itself around and still like/enjoy/appreciate Snyder’s divisive movies. As I’ve noted a few times here and there, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (specifically the “ultimate edition”) has aged well as it became less of a “foundation for an entire cinematic universe” flick and more of an apocalyptic Elseworlds opera.

Edited by Bosco685

Box office mojo projecting a $22.5MM second weekend on a 58% second week decline, which means this movie still won't be to $100MM domestic by the end of its second weekend.

Let's not kid ourselves, this movie isn't doing that great. 

-J.

1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:

Box office mojo projecting a $22.5MM second weekend on a 58% second week decline, which means this movie still won't be to $100MM domestic by the end of its second weekend.

Let's not kid ourselves, this movie isn't doing that great. 

-J.

the theater i was at last night was a 7pm showing........3 of us were in the theater when the previews started up and then about 6 more walked in.........9 people for a prime time moving showing of a film that has only been out a week isn't looking promising

On 4/9/2019 at 11:14 AM, Jaydogrules said:

I don't want to give it away...

Hide contents

When he turned all the other kids into Shazams, it was overkill and a needless distraction from Billy's heroics. Although the sequence was still entertaining in a silly fun way.

-J.

That was the best part!

1 hour ago, krighton said:

the theater i was at last night was a 7pm showing........3 of us were in the theater when the previews started up and then about 6 more walked in.........9 people for a prime time moving showing of a film that has only been out a week isn't looking promising

Maybe everyone was at the other theaters.

:insane:

I am not surprised it is struggling at the box office. Squeezing the release date in between Captain Marvel and Avengers Endgame was a huge mistake. Everyone is focused there right now. WB should have released this one before Captain Marvel, or in August when there will be less competition and the whole Avengers Endgame hype has died down. They likely cost themselves a hundred million or two by trying to go head to head with the Endgame bookends (i.e. Captain Marvel lead in to role in Endgame). 

That being said, Shazam is a 3rd tier DC property so a $400M final worldwide is not a travesty when your lead actor/actress is not really a well known entity either.

Edited by kimik

50 minutes ago, kimik said:

I am not surprised it is struggling at the box office. Squeezing the release date in between Captain Marvel and Avengers Endgame was a huge mistake. Everyone is focused there right now. WB should have released this one before Captain Marvel, or in August when there will be less competition and the whole Avengers Endgame hype has died down. They likely cost themselves a hundred million or two by trying to go head to head with the Endgame bookends (i.e. Captain Marvel lead in to role in Endgame). 

That being said, Shazam is a 3rd tier DC property so a $400M final worldwide is not a travesty when your lead actor/actress is not really a well known entity either.

yes and yes. If Deadline's $25MM weekend estimate holds, it could still get to $150MM US - any notion of playing like A-M w/ a 3x+ multiple of opening weekend seems improbable.

Edited by paperheart

39 minutes ago, kimik said:

Yup.  It deserved better.  Very poor timing.

1 hour ago, kimik said:

It will still end up profitable and will still get a sequel. The movie seems to have a lot of goodwill, and DC can't afford another failure. Yes, you can chalk up Shazam's limited box office to idiotic release timing on WB's part. I think they tried to time it with Marvel's Captain Marvel(perhaps to piggy back off the news stories about their connections) and it backfired. As I said, the film won't lose money and there will be a sequel.

4 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

It will still end up profitable and will still get a sequel. The movie seems to have a lot of goodwill, and DC can't afford another failure. Yes, you can chalk up Shazam's limited box office to idiotic release timing on WB's part. I think they tried to time it with Marvel's Captain Marvel(perhaps to piggy back off the news stories about their connections) and it backfired. As I said, the film won't lose money and there will be a sequel.

WB has already announced the sequel is being scripted already.

1 hour ago, Ken Aldred said:

Yup.  It deserved better.  Very poor timing.

I think it was one of those tight years. Plus with Joker later in the year, they would have been feeding off of one another.

Shazam!: 4/5/19

Pet Semetary: 4/5/19

Hellboy: 4/12/19

Avengers Endgame: 4/26/19

Detective Pikachu: 5/10/19

John Wick 3: 5/17/19

Aladdin: 5/24/19

Brightburn: 5/24/19

Godzilla King of the Monsters: 5/31/19

Dark Phoenix: 6/7/19

Men In Black International: 6/14/19

Toy Story 4: 6/21/19

Spider-Man Far From Home: 7/5/19

The Lion King: 7/19/19

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood: 7/26/19

The New Mutants: 8/2/19

Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw: 8/2/19

PLAYMOBIL: 8/16/19

IT Chapter 2: 9/6/19

Rambo Last Blood: 9/20/19

Joker: 10/4/19

Zombieland 2: 10/11/19

Terminator Dark Fate: 11/1/19

5 hours ago, kimik said:

I think it gets to about the $350MM mark that Mendelson at Forbes estimates.  

And at that figure, it is definitely a money loser theatrically.  

-J.

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Already at 2.0X production budget.

DC_MCU_BO190411c.thumb.PNG.0bf8ca81abdbb6dec155cc6283c4db6c.PNG

:insane:

This is a bit o' foolish nonsense, I picked up tickets to see Shazam! this evening and found that it is no longer being shown in either 3D or IMAX format in my neighborhood movie theatres anywhere as some asinine "Missing Link" movie took over all the available 3D projection screens in town.   I've also noticed that I'll have only till next week Thursday to see Shazam! a few more times and it will be gone.

Since when was it predetermined that Shazam! has only a limited two week theatre engagement?!   I didn't get the memo on this...

36024929_Mr.Tawny.png.588c75db82e9a1d1828fd052e255c233.png

6 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

I think it gets to about the $350MM mark that Mendelson at Forbes estimates.  

And at that figure, it is definitely a money loser theatrically.  

-J.

If it is only at $196 WW now it may not even hit $300M worldwide. The film going to be pulled within 2 weeks to make way for Avengers Endgame.

WB had a genuine hit family superhero movie on their hands and they screwed its box office total royally with poor scheduling. :facepalm:

Edited by kimik

1 hour ago, Mr.TawkyTawny said:

This is a bit o' foolish nonsense, I picked up tickets to see Shazam! this evening and found that it is no longer being shown in either 3D or IMAX format in my neighborhood movie theatres anywhere as some asinine "Missing Link" movie took over all the available 3D projection screens in town.   I've also noticed that I'll have only till next week Thursday to see Shazam! a few more times and it will be gone.

Since when was it predetermined that Shazam! has only a limited two week theatre engagement?!   I didn't get the memo on this...

Interesting. Are the local theaters noting it is being pulled that soon? :ohnoez: