• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'Shazam' movie official thread (because he deserves one too)
3 3

1,885 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

'Shazam!' Is No More A Box Office Bomb Than 'Ant-Man' Or 'The Wolverine'

I made that for even the most myopic readers. :insane:

Wow that sure is a lot.of lipstick Mendelson is smearing on this pig (he is known for that when it comes to DC movies).

...Except that this movie, at $259MM, is nowhere near "breakeven" terrotory theatrically.  

Oh and hey, remember when Forbes said this about Venom?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2018/10/05/review-venom-is-the-bane-of-sonys-superhero-plans/amp/

"The point is, I think Venom needs to play closer to $400 million to really return enough money to Sony to make the endeavor worthwhile. But for Venom to be called successful enough to earn a sequel and declare “we’ve kicked off our Spider-verse tie-in movies, now we’ll make more,” this film needs to play much higher than $400 million."

:eyeroll:

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

'Shazam!' Is No More A Box Office Bomb Than 'Ant-Man' Or 'The Wolverine'

I made that for even the most myopic readers. :insane:

Oh and remember this now glorious tidbit from that same article? Lol

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2018/10/05/review-venom-is-the-bane-of-sonys-superhero-plans/amp/

"With a production budget of $100 million and perhaps $75 million in worldwide marketing (to give it some benefit of the doubt and help widen the range for it to turn a profit) that still means break-even point sits somewhere around $350 million, give or take."

(Of course the marketing budget for Venom turned out to be closer to $125MM, putting its all-in at $225MM, according to Deadline, but it is "interesting" to see that the break even on Venom, according to Forbes then, with an at the time estimated ~$150MM all-in was $350MM.  Since we will never know the full breakdown of Shazam from them since it doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell on being a top movie of the year, I think we can safely go by Deadline's all-in estimate of ~$200MM to realize how cartoonishly laughable Scott Mendelson is with his typical DC biased BS.  Sorry, Scotty, but a 67% drop internationally, including 80% in China alone, the number 2 market now, remember(?), coupled with a 53% drop in North America in only week 2 after your lowest ever opening weekend for a DCEU film is borderline catastrophic for a movie that DC was, evidently, planning to make multiple sequels and spinoffs for.  (Yeah, sure.  :eyeroll: ))

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:
15 hours ago, Mr.TawkyTawny said:

Oggar's Flaming Magic Fiddle from Captain Marvel Adventures #64...  ingenious.  :applause:

34616330_OggarsFlamingMagicFiddle.png.bfc3ec3770114a82b7026f905d00eb83.png2144672327_CaptainMarvelAdventures64FlameoftheMagicFiddle.jpg.a4bc10c1781f324d676a973a2eb188be.jpg

I need to go watch this again. Little by little, Easter Eggs are getting out I didn't even realize were there.

Shazam! is not a superficial movie by any stretch of the imagination.  This is Aesop and Charles Dickens medicinal quality classic Silver Screen cinema you savour and rub on your gums.  99 44/100% Pure Comic Book Movie.  (thumbsu

Reminds me of a conversation I had with my good friend Arthur Whitelaw the Broadway Producer where we both agreed on the capricious nature of audiences... "The banquet is laid though nobody comes."

1985156321_MentalMarvelQuizKids.jpg.40a28ebfa4abc87894fba062250ad0e0.jpg

1 hour ago, Mr.TawkyTawny said:

Shazam! is not a superficial movie by any stretch of the imagination.  This is Aesop and Charles Dickens medicinal quality classic Silver Screen cinema you savour and rub on your gums.  99 44/100% Pure Comic Book Movie.  (thumbsu

Reminds me of a conversation I had with my good friend Arthur Whitelaw the Broadway Producer where we both agreed on the capricious nature of audiences... "The banquet is laid though nobody comes."

1985156321_MentalMarvelQuizKids.jpg.40a28ebfa4abc87894fba062250ad0e0.jpg

:luhv:

Family saw it on Sunday and we all enjoyed it. Wasn't the missus' most favorite superhero movie, but no major complaints. I was surprised by the demons and other darker parts; the trailers made it look like a joke-fest the whole way through, glad they marketed it the way they did.

It looks like the Marvel Family is here to stay. Shazam! actress Michelle Borth revealed that she received a five-picture deal from Warner Bros. to portray Mary Marvel in the DCEU.

In an interview with Parade, Borth, who plays the superhero alter ego of Grace Fulton’s Mary Broomfield, discussed how she landed her role in the recently released DC blockbuster:

"I had never gotten a role from one taped audition, let alone a five-picture deal with Warner Bros. from a one-tape audition. You always have to go through a really long process. There’s a fight to get there, so it was a really incredible moment. That’s all I can say. It was one of those really magical moments of, ‘Oh, my God. You hear about this sometimes. Every now and then, this happens,’ and that was mine. I did a great dance, an interpretive dance, and had a lot of fun with it, and then forgot, and that was it."

"The cool thing about Mary is the younger Mary, who’s played by Grace Fulton, who’s amazing, is she’s really uptight. She’s a teenager who grew up too fast. She’s almost like a second mother to her foster brothers and sisters, and she has lost the capability of just relaxing, having fun, and letting loose and being a teenager. So what’s fun for me, I get the best part of Mary, because when we all change into superheroes, we all have different things that we make up for, and for Mary, when she turns into Mary Marvel, she knows how to have fun. She’s got her confidence back. She knows how to let her hair down. She knows just how to embrace life, and she’s not so worried anymore."

I saw this with a friend last night. Went in with low expectations, ended up really getting a kick out of it. Some of the broad humor didn't land for me, but overall I got that classic 80's kid adventure vibe, ala Spielberg, Dante, Zemeckis, and it worked for me. There were some surprisingly dark and jarringly violent moments that really surprised and delighted me, and reminded me of that golden era. The filmmakers obviously have a lot of affection for the source material, and I enjoyed the easter eggs that I found. I was super surprised that they paid off the small cameo early in the film with that mid-credits sequence. I actually clapped, I was so surprised. Not a character I ever expected to actually see make his way into a movie. 

Much better than I expected, a lot of fun.

I just thought that I'd throw this out there pun intended, but in spoiler if you haven't seen shazam yet...

Spoiler

The batarang that made Sylvania bleed... that prop in the movie is fashioned after Batman vs Superman batarang, which is a sideshow batarang piece... I know because I gave it away in the last grading contest of 2018 as a prize! Lol I messaged my recipient and at least he got a kick out of seeing it in the movie lol i love the line where the kid says, "it's crazy sharp!" If you blink you'll miss it :foryou: the batarang in person doesn't have an edge though unless you took a metal grinder to it.