• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'Shazam' movie official thread (because he deserves one too)
3 3

1,885 posts in this topic

Shazam! is holding on strong with another $6.155 million in the bank yesterday, bringing its 15-day tally to $110.2 million. A third frame north of $16 million is the target.

Should come in #2 behind The Curse of La Llorona's #1. Currently at 2.9X production budget before any international box office updates.

DC_MCU_BO190420a.thumb.PNG.ec4a4186ff6b97027fb31c7bac904c1a.PNG

Edited by Bosco685

1 hour ago, jsilverjanet said:

I'm really surprised how poor this is doing money wise, especially when reviews have been so positive. Once again I have no clue why people spend the way they do

It was so much better than Aquaman and Black Panther.

3 hours ago, piper said:

Well written and well acted! This is my favourite recent DC offering.

Zac was perfectly cast for the role.

2c

Not quite as good as 'Black Panther' movie for me but Shazam had a lot of heart, and a solid young family cast of actors. Glad Calgary expo got 3 of the lead Shazam cast actors for sigs. Also for those that are about to see the movie, there is an extra clip after the credits that foreshadows Shazam II movie plot. 

4 hours ago, Mr.TawkyTawny said:

717709656_JustSayIt..jpg.08a30015ea09f82b06ebac723578f257.jpg

Sandberg is flying high with that one, as to get this much from Kojima is huge.

Regarded as an auteur of video games, during his childhood and adolescence he developed a strong passion for action/adventure cinema and literature. He was hired by Konami in 1986 for which he designed and wrote Metal Gear (1987) for the MSX2, a game that laid the foundations for stealth games and the Metal Gear series, his best known and most appreciated works. The title that consecrated him as one of the most acclaimed video game designers is Metal Gear Solid (1998) for PlayStation. He is also known for producing the Zone of the Enders series, as well as writing and designing Snatcher (1988) and Policenauts (1994), graphic adventure gamesregarded for their cinematic presentation.

^^

On 4/20/2019 at 11:57 AM, Bosco685 said:

Now that Shazam/Captain Marvel is out there for the general audience, could this lead to Disney/Marvel finally bringing forward Miracleman?

That would be interesting.

Some very pretentious dialogue would need to be excised from it.

I recall one issue in the Book 3 Olympus storyline suddenly transitioning into some of the most boring and overwritten purple prose that I’ve ever tried and failed to wade through, in any comic I’ve ever read. 

Edited by Ken Aldred

6 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

That would be interesting.

Some very pretentious dialogue would need to be excised from it.

I recall one issue in the Book 3 Olympus storyline suddenly transitioning into some of the most boring and overwritten purple prose that I’ve ever tried and failed to wade through, in any comic I’ve ever read. 

I have never read Miracleman all the way through to the end. I wouldn't mind being able to go from beginning to end in a steady reading.

On 4/19/2019 at 8:18 PM, Mr.TawkyTawny said:

1684137199_SandbergPost04192019.png.b4da7c240835e2cfc8c8fba3ebea3f54.png

130242386_Zaconset.png.c992d34c535a134f3086558068fe1689.png

From Sandberg about those cut scenes.

I'm glad they redid the Sivana office scene. It gave it a more dark and twisted atmosphere with the new cut.

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

From Sandberg about those cut scenes.

I'm glad they redid the Sivana office scene. It gave it a more dark and twisted atmosphere with the new cut.

+1  The office helped visually underscore his zealous quest as an Occultist of Magick and how exhaustive Dr. Sivana's life long search has been to return to The Rock of Eternity.  (thumbsu

168451433_ShazamattheMovies.thumb.jpg.48d184d079d0d3e4cd7def0b9da8c670.jpg

Shazam now at 3.2X production budget.

USA/Canada $121.34M
China $40.34M
UK $11.7M
Mexico $11M
Brazil $8.8M
Russia $8.5M
Australia $7.1M

DC_MCU_BO190421a.thumb.PNG.ce0ac91840669d54edf2457ac0ef2bc8.PNG

'Shazam' Hit Big Box Office Milestone

Shazam! hit $300 million global

First off, Shazam! earned $17.34 million in its third weekend of domestic release, bringing its 17-day cume to $121.342 million.  That's a stunning 29% drop, which is lower than the 29.5% third-weekend drop for Wonder Woman back in 2017. Yes, that's partially because of Good Friday and Easter Sunday, but that's still a hell of a hold for the DC Films flick. Heck, it's the seventh-smallest third-weekend-drop for any big comic book and/or superhero movie over the last 32 years.

For reference (and I'm being generous with the "superhero" designation), it's behind Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (+15% in 2018), The Matrix (-20% in 1999), Blade (whose third weekend was Labor Day in 1998), The Crow (whose third weekend was Memorial Day in 1994), Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (-28% in 1991), Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (-25% in 1990) and Robocop (-26% in 1987). That may not mean anything in the long run, but it took me too long to look that up (even Batman dipped 36% in weekend three and Wonder Woman dipped 29.5% in weekend three) for me not to share it.

Edited by Bosco685