• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'Shazam' movie official thread (because he deserves one too)
3 3

1,885 posts in this topic

On 4/20/2019 at 8:40 PM, jsilverjanet said:

I'm really surprised how poor this is doing money wise, especially when reviews have been so positive. Once again I have no clue why people spend the way they do

It did pretty good considering it was in between two Marvel Super Bowl event pictures Captain Marvel and Avengers : End game.

In comparision Shazam wiped the floor with Hellboy box officewise.

So a win for Shazam.

I am pretty sure the sequel will be very successful.

From a writer that really enjoyed Shazam and was disappointed with Captain Marvel feeling it was mediocre. He now feels Shazam will be what drops the 2019 box office.

Shazam! Bombs the Box Office

Through its first three weekends, Shazam! has grossed over $320 million at the global box office. That’s a solid number for just about any film. With an estimated production budget of around $100 million (relatively cheap for a superhero film these days) the movie will make about three times the studio’s investment. So far so good, eh?

Here’s the catch — superhero movies from major studios (either Marvel, WB or Sony) are expected to gross a lot more money.

Billy Batson, aka Shazam, is also one of those second tier heroes. But given the films that have proceeded it, Shazam! should have finished closer to Ant-Man or even Doctor Strange money ($500 to $600 Million). And make no mistake, Shazam! isn’t going to finish anywhere close to that.

With a little film called Endgame debuting this coming weekend, time has run out for Shazam! at the box office. Rankings next weekend won’t matter as Marvel is almost certain to suck up over eighty percent of all ticket sales (and that could be a low estimate). The theatrical run for Shazam! is all but over.

The real shame is for all the hard working folks behind the film. Shazam!doesn’t deserve to be a box office bomb. It’s a really good film and easily one of the best from WB/DC.

Audiences and critics alike have raved about the film. But in yet another confusing move, WB released the film in a seemingly dead zone of early Spring (too early for summer and too late for winter). The in-between release of the film is even more confusing given the subtle Christmas themes that are found throughout the story.

I feel sorry for David F. Sandberg and the rest of the team behind Shazam! They delivered a film that exceed[ed] expectations and deserved better than they got from the brass at Warner Bros.

I think it leans more towards frustration how WB staged this film at a tough point in 2019 knowing Endgame was going to be huge. Though what it doesn't account for is the semi-soft release in China, which should have been a huge boost to the final box office. It's just barely passing Deadpool 2's failing number due to negative reactions from an audience that had no character backstory familiarity.

China_BO190423a.PNG.8219e95dcc8f6b3f56e97a58b31d0f97.PNG

Edited by Bosco685

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

From a writer that really enjoyed Shazam and was disappointed with Captain Marvel feeling it was mediocre. He now feels Shazam will be what drops the 2019 box office.

Shazam! Bombs the Box Office

I think it leans more towards frustration how WB staged this film at a tough point in 2019 knowing Endgame was going to be huge. Though what it doesn't account for is the semi-soft release in China, which should have been a huge boost to the final box office. It's just barely passing Deadpool 2's failing number due to negative reactions from an audience that had no character backstory familiarity.

China_BO190423a.PNG.8219e95dcc8f6b3f56e97a58b31d0f97.PNG

I think they should just consider it a win.

I don't think no one expected a billion for this. The ip really wasn`t used much since the 1970s.

All and all it did decent numbers compared to the Hellboy reboot.

The sequel will definately do better numbers because now the modern mainstream will know who Shazam is.

58 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I think they should just consider it a win.

I don't think no one expected a billion for this. The ip really wasn`t used much since the 1970s.

All and all it did decent numbers compared to the Hellboy reboot.

The sequel will definately do better numbers because now the modern mainstream will know who Shazam is.

Totally agree that this was a win. It's just unfortunate Chinese reviewers reacting so negative to the younger generation jokes and no colossal third act fight scene (though I felt what we did get was pretty darn cool).