• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'Shazam' movie official thread (because he deserves one too)
3 3

1,885 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

But is it?

Spoiler

The "production budget" nowadays is usually only about half what studios spend worldwide on a tentpole, which this was supposed to be, so using only that to gage a film's actual performance is only telling you about half the story.  

Total all in budget and worldwide P&A per Deadline/Box office mojo- ~$200MM

Total Worldwide Gross- $355MM

Domestic- $135MM @ 50% = $68MM

China- $44MM @ 25% = $11MM

Other Countries- $176MM @ 40% = $70MM

Total to Studio so far- $149MM

Total Loss to Studio Right Now- (-)$51MM

If this movie does end up around $365MM, yes, it can justifiably be called a flop, and no, i would not be holding my breath for any sequel or spin off movies any time soon, or ever.  Undoubtedly after the unqualified financial success of Aquaman WB was expecting this to do at least $500MM.  It was not meant to be.  This movie was fine, completely forgettable, but fine. But it was also an overlong movie about an obscure character failed which

failed to resonate with any audience worldwide, and at the end of the day fell victim to a pisspoor release schedule, market saturation, a truly terrible ad campaign, continuing WB incompetence, in addition to audience apathy.  

-J.

I get it this is your on-going shtick. But on the resonating with audiences, in comparing it to Captain Marvel (as a recent baseline - not as a competition) I'd say Shazam worked just fine with people.

Shazam_imbd01.thumb.PNG.3fc92b40a97796b42f2649596b4569d7.PNG

But I do agree. It comes down to poorly managed release planning, failing to recognize it had a hit on its hands and allowing it to be buried. Along with figuring out what to do so as to address that China market response.

14 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I get it this is your on-going shtick. But on the resonating with audiences, in comparing it to Captain Marvel (as a recent baseline - not as a competition) I'd say Shazam worked just fine with people.

But I do agree. It comes down to poorly managed release planning, failing to recognize it had a hit on its hands and allowing it to be buried. Along with figuring out what to do so as to address that China market response.

Yes I actually did like shazam better than CM too, and mainly because it wasn't trying to be "something" other than what it just was.  For its multiple flaws, It was perfectly fine being the little movie that it was, flaws and all. 

OTOH, as we have seen with Spider-verse and now shazam, critically/audience highly rated films do not necessarily translate to dollar signs at the box office, fair or not (and FWIW I liked shazam better than Spider-verse as well).

-J.

Saw Shazam! on Friday and have to say I really liked it despite the obvious deviations from the original storylines. A good fun movie that retained some of the DCEU darkness. Two minor reservations:

1) It was a little slow to start (but that's the price you pay for character development).

2) With it's underlying Christmas theme, it should've been released in December.

2 hours ago, Batman said:

Saw Shazam! on Friday and have to say I really liked it despite the obvious deviations from the original storylines. A good fun movie that retained some of the DCEU darkness. Two minor reservations:

1) It was a little slow to start (but that's the price you pay for character development).

2) With it's underlying Christmas theme, it should've been released in December.

Was it supposed to be released around Christmas? Because all the Christmas scenes felt really strange

14 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

The big market that took a huge chunk out of Shazam's box office results - China. It drastically under-performed because they wanted a massive battle and didn't appreciate the childish humor.

DC_MCU_BO190505b.PNG.812c015277587665b1fcf6da6d986997.PNG

Surprised it beat Deadpool 2 and is not super far from Spiderman Spiderverse....yet Venom Murders them all combined? Thats a hard to predict market no doubt.

So, do rentals and online Purchases no longer factor into a movies success? I thought nearly 1/3 of all movie revenue came from Amazon Rents/buys, Blu-Ray, and assorted platform and Brick and mortar rentals?

Shouldnt it easily make 50-100 million on that front over the next 2 years?

5 hours ago, Juno Beach said:

Was it supposed to be released around Christmas? Because all the Christmas scenes felt really strange

That's because it wasn't Christmas ;) 

I don't think it was ever planned to be released at Christmas.

Not a wasted single frame of film in the entire Shazam! movie it's so tight, just enough without too much. Michel Aller showcased impeccable timing with a precision film editing skill set.  If you've never edited, listen to me now and believe me later it is mentally exhausting work when demonstrated this well.  :applause:

1792789282_QuickDraw.gif.56ca2a9c1c1c4f692c59258c6dea66ca.gif

41 minutes ago, chezmtghut said:

Thought it would have made it past 400 worldwide, but I'm not sure at this rate.

has less than zero chance of hitting $400MM WW; last weekend it did $2MM Int'l, $2.5MM US- at this point $370MM looks impossible

How much would a moderate hit like this command on the streaming services?  If it gets shown on Netflix what kind of money are we talking and does that get added to how profitable a movie is?

On 5/7/2019 at 9:12 PM, Mr.TawkyTawny said:

Not a wasted single frame of film in the entire Shazam! movie it's so tight, just enough without too much. Michel Aller showcased impeccable timing with a precision film editing skill set.  If you've never edited, listen to me now and believe me later it is mentally exhausting work when demonstrated this well.  :applause:

1792789282_QuickDraw.gif.56ca2a9c1c1c4f692c59258c6dea66ca.gif

Superb article on the BTS collaboration in creating Shazam!  (thumbsu

542629540_TheOGShazam.png.afc8662f3e5ec975834b8a24bdf71faa.png

On 5/5/2019 at 12:38 PM, Bosco685 said:

While it does look like there are better ratings for Shazam on imdb, there is only 1/3 the votes & less than 1/3 the box office gross. I remember reading Captain Marvel is no Doctor Strange in terms of box office & the only comparison I could think to make here is Shazam is no Incredible Hulk.(shrug)

Edited by chezmtghut

5 minutes ago, chezmtghut said:

While it does look like there are better ratings for Shazam on imdb, there is only 1/3 the votes & less than 1/3 the box office gross. I remember reading Captain Marvel is no Doctor Strange in terms of box office & the only comparison I could think to make here is Shazam is no Incredible Hulk.(shrug)

You try too hard.

:insane:

More people went to see it, but enjoyed it less.

:whatthe:

How dare anyone not say 'Marvel Rules' repeatedly.

55 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

You try too hard.

:insane:

More people went to see it, but enjoyed it less.

:whatthe:

How dare anyone not say 'Marvel Rules' repeatedly.

You’re right, I should have used a DC movie to compared it with instead, like Batman Forever, Batman & Robin, Constantine, Green Lantern, etc... There’s a lot more comparisons to show DC is improving. I liked the end of the film & think Shazam 2 will be a bigger hit. 

Edited by chezmtghut

11 minutes ago, chezmtghut said:

You’re right, I should have used a DC movie to compared it with instead, like Batman Forever, Batman & Robin, Constantine, Green Lantern, etc... There’s a lot more comparisons to show DC is improving. I liked the end of the film & think Shazam 2 will be a bigger hit. 

No. You read into it and assumed this was a DC vs Marvel discussion, which you then would clearly take a certain side. What I was doing (and clearly stated it was not a competition) was using Captain Marvel's recent results to show the difference.

Step back next time, and take a breather. Especially if you have someone that is a fan of both DC and Marvel films.

8 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

No. You read into it and assumed this was a DC vs Marvel discussion, which you then would clearly take a certain side. What I was doing (and clearly stated it was not a competition) was using Captain Marvel's recent results to show the difference.

Step back next time, and take a breather. Especially if you have someone that is a fan of both DC and Marvel films.

Never read anything into it. Just stating statistics like you were. Maybe poking a little fun in the process. :baiting: