• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'Shazam' movie official thread (because he deserves one too)
3 3

1,885 posts in this topic

I found where Sandberg noted the commentary details.

Sounds like it is because he feels it is an unappreciated feature.

From the responses, it's clear people disagree with his reasoning.

Would love to know what is the hidden agenda of the assorted Clickbait Trolls on YouTube and Internet Bots elsewhere on the web with all their impertinent and smug proclamations that Shazam! took a massive dump at the box office.   Top 5 out of 50 films released so far this year...   (shrug)

205565700_TopGrossingFilmsSilverScreenInsider.thumb.png.a7fe62daac42edd636f7c9cdfcfb43a0.png 

My inner child is awaiting and hoping that Mr. Tawky Tawny makes a prominent appearance in Shazam! Deux...   :wishluck:  :smile:

1910598221_WaitingforMr.Tawny.jpg.3fe88f13d99acae3f10303e97a2dd273.jpg

Edited by Mr.TawkyTawny

13 minutes ago, Mr.TawkyTawny said:

Extraodinary, Ian's nonchalant confidence is admirable.  "Knock it off.  Drop the nose Hawk!"  "What do you say we drop, that, nose...  Flying Brick!  I like that."  (thumbsu

It took me a moment to realize who this was. Then I checked his profile.

Eugene in️#SHAZAMMovie 

6 hours ago, Mr.TawkyTawny said:

Would love to know what is the hidden agenda of the assorted Clickbait Trolls on YouTube and Internet Bots elsewhere on the web with all their impertinent and smug proclamations that Shazam! took a massive dump at the box office.   Top 5 out of 50 films released so far this year...   (shrug)

205565700_TopGrossingFilmsSilverScreenInsider.thumb.png.a7fe62daac42edd636f7c9cdfcfb43a0.png 

1910598221_WaitingforMr.Tawny.jpg.3fe88f13d99acae3f10303e97a2dd273.jpg

(shrug) Probably because as recently as mid-February, the "experts" at the oft-cited-as-a-legitimate-news-source Forbes, estimated its final box office would be in the "$600MM-$700MM" range.  Final total- ~$362MM. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2019/02/13/why-the-future-of-dceu-movies-looks-brighter-than-ever/amp/

And even after reality began to set in and later repeatedly posting misinformation about what the consensus production  budget for this movie actually is (it is $100MM not $80MM and not $90MM), and completely ignoring the P&A expenses of the movie, which more than doubled its production budget (adding another $100MM+) and (also repeatedly) moving the goalposts as a measure of this film's "big triumph" and how it "saved" DC Films :eyeroll:...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2019/04/17/shazam-dc-films-aquaman-wonder-woman-joker-batman-j-k-rowling-warner-bros-pikachu-godzilla/#29bb72c52e5e

and...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2019/04/05/shazam-wonder-woman-aquaman-zachary-levi-gal-gadot-jason-momoa-dc-films-box-office/amp/

...all the way down to Rampage levels ($428MM), the film still fell way short of even that.

And despite having one of the widest releases EVER for a hero flick, including ADDING theaters in its second week, it is still the lowest performing DCEU movie BY HALF.

I would also gather it's also because the movie LOST about $50MM-$60MM theatrically when all is said and done.  It would take some mighty strong ancillary afterlife for it to even break even at this point.  

Indeed, despite the repeated and near desperate posting of one thinly disguised puff-propaganda piece after another on this movie by Forbes (just Google "Shazam Forbes" if you don't believe it), Shazam IS a flop by basically every financial measure.  I know you are a big, big, big fan of this movie, and I don't mean to pizzzz in your cornflakes, but the numbers are the numbers.  The chart you posted means nothing, first, the year is still very young as far as big releases are concerned, and second, fully HALF of the current top 10 on that list, including Shazam, are all either box office disappointments and/or flops themselves.  

Let's face it- this movie was the big money loser the same hacks on Forbes (and other sites) were weirdly hoping and praying Venom would be.  Let's not forget how those same Forbes guys proclaimed, in a now embarrassing article, Venom, with its identical budget to Shazam, needed to "play closer to $400MM" to "make the endeavour worthwhile" (even going so far as to call Venom the "bane" of Sony's own sequel/spin-off plans)...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2018/10/05/review-venom-is-the-bane-of-sonys-superhero-plans/amp/

Okay Forbes experts, so what should we now call Shazam, now that it made $38MM LESS than even your clownishly lowball early Venom estimates, and what should we realistically expect to come of those far-too-premature sequel/spin-off talks, besides them now languishing forever in the proverbial "development hell"?

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

4 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

#allthesefailures

DC_MCU_BO190528a.thumb.PNG.3dd94cba290904b20b7df168da13ad14.PNG

I love the fact that Thor Dark World has a better ratio than all of the other films on the list except for another equally bad one, Ant-Man and the Wasp. lol 

42 minutes ago, kimik said:

I love the fact that Thor Dark World has a better ratio than all of the other films on the list except for another equally bad one, Ant-Man and the Wasp. lol 

That first Thor may have hit a lower revenue ratio, along with more than a few of the earlier MCU films. But after Avengers (2012), we all realize now folks wanted to see so much more of this franchise. Iron Man 3 experienced it. So did Thor 2.

MCU_BO190528.thumb.PNG.b9ec1a60e07f69191f6a9a8223c49863.PNG

Shazam, like the other standalone DCU films, needed to deliver on its own without the benefit of a massively successful team film. No slingshot phenomena to benefit from.

The slo-mo car crash with Bing Crosby crescendo is an exhilarating filmed scene that puts a big smile on my face.  Following the Rock of Eternity opening I love how Sandberg hits you in the face with Will Lobban-Bean's "The Real Thing."   The prelude is a cinematic thrill like Indiana running away from a boulder.   Gotta give a heap of credit to Ethan Pugiotto's talent to set up the Shazam! movie so superbly well as Young Thaddeus Sivana.   :applause:

There are so many imaginative and creative scenes all perfectly framed and captured throughout Shazam!, this exquisite film artistry is sumptuous and mesmerizing.

1387886751_Artofframingascene.jpg.3111753ed070ac21748c3fd9c127f2f6.jpg

2 hours ago, Mr.TawkyTawny said:

The slo-mo car crash with Bing Crosby crescendo is an exhilarating filmed scene that puts a big smile on my face.  Following the Rock of Eternity opening I love how Sandberg hits you in the face with Will Lobban-Bean's "The Real Thing."   The prelude is a cinematic thrill like Indiana running away from a boulder.   Gotta give a heap of credit to Ethan Pugiotto's talent to set up the Shazam! movie so superbly well as Young Thaddeus Sivana.   :applause:

There are so many imaginative and creative scenes all perfectly framed and captured throughout Shazam!, this exquisite film artistry is sumptuous and mesmerizing.

He added a little more details to that discussion, which is cool fans can just reach out like that and get more information. Sandberg is very willing to respond back.

8 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Got my theatre plans all mapped out.  After work tomorrow I'll be able to see the last 3D showing of the remake of "Destroy All Monsters," "Godzilla: King of the Monsters" which I'll have enough time to drive over to a different theatre to follow it up with another viewing of Shazam! for a double feature evening.

The only theatre in my city still showing Shazam! will have two final screenings Wednesday night, 6 PM & 9:30 PM, which I'll be doing back-to-back with dinner in between.  I was fortunate to see the very first advance screening of Shazam! and I know I'll regret not attending the last theatre screening.   The end is nigh...  :ohnoez:

2069718396_Theendisnigh.gif.0d80e7621b95eb81937bc9257a1f2325.gif

1935609884_SenShazamPoster.thumb.jpg.64945a2730aae657942cbef7da3353e7.jpg

2 hours ago, Mr.TawkyTawny said:

Got my theatre plans all mapped out.  After work tomorrow I'll be able to see the last 3D showing of the remake of "Destroy All Monsters," "Godzilla: King of the Monsters" which I'll have enough time to drive over to a different theatre to follow it up with another viewing of Shazam! for a double feature evening.

The only theatre in my city still showing Shazam! will have two final screenings Wednesday night, 6 PM & 9:30 PM, which I'll be doing back-to-back with dinner in between.  I was fortunate to see the very first advance screening of Shazam! and I know I'll regret not attending the last theatre screening.   The end is nigh...  :ohnoez:

:banana: