• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'Shazam' movie official thread (because he deserves one too)
3 3

1,885 posts in this topic

24 minutes ago, Mr.TawkyTawny said:

Never has a truer word been spoken.  :roflmao:

1341345662_Sandbergpost04092020.png.52991af31c17f448ad774e7bf4494d93.png

Did you see the question he received about why the Seven Sins looked so bad? Man, that was a harsh question.

When it comes to evaluating the financial performance of top movies, it isn’t about what a film grosses at the box office. The true tale is told when production budgets, P&A, talent participations and other costs collide with box office grosses and ancillary revenues from VOD to DVD and TV. To get close to that mysterious end of the equation, Deadline is repeating our Most Valuable Blockbuster tournament for 2019, using data culled by seasoned and trusted sources.

THE FILM

Shazam! was the latest effort to broaden the DC/Warner Bros canon and brighten the picture after the unrelentingly dark streak that brought Batman v Superman and Justice League. Last seen 46 years earlier on a CBS TV show, Shazam! showed there was room for a comparatively modest-budgeted film with a lot of laughs to go with the inevitable third-act villain clash. New Line kept the production cost low at $100 million, half of what DC fare like Aquaman cost before P&A, and they bet on a star — Zachary Levi — instead of paying an established one. It was clear it was working early on with positive social media reports from San Diego Comic-Con footage and early screenings — which added to the gross through a Fandango partnership program that rang up a notable $3.3M in advance of the movie’s $53.5M domestic and $155.5M worldwide weekend openings. Warner Bros smartly opened Shazam! away from Captain Marvel in early March and Avengers: Endgame on the calendar at the end of April. So the superhero had the multiplexes to himself with some space to breathe.

THE BOX SCORE

shazam_deadline.PNG.7282c88fe7fe94828a5a02329130ad62.PNG

THE BOTTOM LINE

Revenues for Shazam! at $336M were nearly as rich as its global box office of $366M. The cash-on-cash return ratio of 1.28 puts it on par with Marvel’s deeper universe character feature, Ant-Man‘s 1.3. Participation were low here at an estimated $5M, with Levi landing his first marquee role. Shazam! is the first superhero title to break into this year’s Deadline’s tournament, and the second New Line film in our top 25 to profit after Annabelle Comes Home. Earning $74M in net profit after $262M in overall costs, it’s no wonder Warner Bros/New Line plans to say Shazam! again, with a sequel in store.

13 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Earning $74M in net profit after $262M in overall costs, it’s no wonder Warner Bros/New Line plans to say Shazam! again, with a sequel in store.

If I risked $1M on anything and got my investment back plus $280K I'd be ecstatic and doing cartwheels.  Bean counters who believe this Shazam! movie took a warm dump can now keep on saying "drills are on aisle 6."   Personally, I'd rather say to all these Debbie Downers' "Outlook not so good."  (thumbsu

On 4/18/2020 at 6:45 AM, RedRaven said:

Watched Shazam last night with no real expectations. I was pleasantly surprised. It was worth a $9.99 purchase.

Either it's my outdated ill maintained, runned on a shoestring budget to maximize profits, local movie theatres with blown out speakers and blurry focused film projectors run by IATSE strabismus union projectionists or I can no longer see or hear as well as when I was younger.   I was enthralled each of the seven times I paid cash for a ticket to view Shazam! on the movie theatre big screen and the most astounding visual experience was the only one time in RealD 3D. 

Watching my personal UHD digital copy of Shazam! is no less than mindblowing to finally be able to clearly see and audibly hear and fully appreciate the true depth of detail perfectionately, lovingly, and expertly thredded throughout this movie and, without prejudice as an admirer of film, refuse to understand how anyone can honestly refute or find fault with this singular unique near perfect example of a proper CBM.   Just because this isn't a Zack Snyder film doesn't automatically malign Shazam! as a deemed heretic terrible movie.  :smile:

1366038343_CapandCapt.MarvelJr..thumb.png.676fe93c05557325caa700bf74b06024.png

Popular veteran child actor Frank Coghlan Jr. was 24 years old when he portrayed Billy Batson in "Adventures of Captain Marvel" and Tom Tyler was 37 as Captain Marvel comparative to Asher Angel being 16 and Zachary Levi 37 when filming Shazam!  Asher has quite awhile before he outgrows his rendition of Billy.  (thumbsu

959159343_Sandbergpost04202020.png.c48e86131cd87116f81ccf7534a28555.png1184202469_FrankCoghlanJr.ShazamGIF.gif.09dfd6dc17bc1759c96e582fd2c66f90.gif

551051382_FrankCoghlanJr_ACM.thumb.png.861a84ed3074ada94c6d6d7300d4c1e0.png

Edited by Mr.TawkyTawny