• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'Shazam' movie official thread (because he deserves one too)
3 3

1,885 posts in this topic

Zachary Levi Says SHAZAM Is SUPERMAN Meets BIG; Teases A Cameo From Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman

Zachary Levi has been on the cusp of stardom for years now and his biggest role to date will come in DC Comics adaptation Shazam next year. The movie isn't expected to start shooting until next month so it's going to be a while before we see anything from it but the Thor: Ragnarok actor has now weighed in his excitement to play the character and makes an interesting comparison when it comes to its tone. 

"I can’t tell you much," the actor says, "as you can probably imagine, but what I can say is I am just out of my mind excited! I get to do my version of Big, basically. It’s like Superman meets Big, and that’s just so fun. I get to be a superhero that’s excited about being a superhero, and I think that’s refreshing. It’s not glum, and like, ‘Oh, I have to save the world again.’ So I think it’s all really gravy."

With New Line in charge of Shazam, it's hard to say how the movie is going to fit into the rest of the DC Films Universe but cameos surely can't be off the cards and the hero meeting Wonder Woman would be cool. Asked for his thoughts on that, Levi replied enthusiastically so here's hoping it happens.

"Wonder Woman, because she’s awesome. I think getting a cameo from anybody would be super cool, but I just think Gal Gadot is so effervescent. She has such a charm. And she seems like a really cool broad. Like, she was in the Israeli army. She’s a mom. And I’m like, ‘You seem like you’re grounded and cool, and you’re Wonder Woman, and you rock.’ And I think it would be really funny to have the 14-year-old Billy Batson inside of Shazam that’s really awkward around this beautiful Amazonian. I just think that would be really awesome."

'Shazam' Movie Gets April 2019 Release Date

The Shazam movie has reportedly named its release date as April 5, 2019, Warner Bros. announced on Friday.

Shazam, which will star Zachary Levi as the titular hero, will be the first movie released from Warner Bros. and DC Films following December of 2018's Aquaman. It is directed by Lights Out and Annabelle: Creation helmer David F. Sandberg.

'Shazam!': Mark Strong Confirms His Role, Talks -script Secrecy

shazammarkstrongvillain-1048443-640x320.

In a recent interview with Celebretainment, Mark Strong confirmed that he will be playing the film's main villain, Dr. Thaddeus Bodog Sivana. The actor, who most notably appeared in 2011's ill-fated Green Lantern movie, revealed that he picked the role partially because of the "unfinished business" he had with the DC universe.

''I'm playing an evil called Doctor Sivana, they are always the best characters to play, the most fun." Strong revealed. "I was Sinestro in Green Lantern, which I thought was a rather good film, but it didn't do what they wanted. So I feel like I've got unfinished business in the DC world. I played a pretty evil character in that, and he was meant to get even worse in the second one but that never happened, but I think I'm going to get the chance to do that in Shazam!, I hope so.''

As fans have seen, Shazam! is being regarded with a very special sort of secrecy, with director David F. Sandberg going the extra mile to hand out the film's -script. And according to Strong, that brings about some pretty unique challenges.

'If you stop reading the -script for 20 seconds then the whole thing goes fuzzy and you have to start again." Strong explained. "Everything is watermarked and traceable too."

On 12/7/2017 at 1:48 AM, Bosco685 said:

Grazer is very much a doppelgänger to Mac Raboy's Freddy Freeman character model sheet.  Hopefully Sandberg and the producers also portray the early Binder/Raboy Captain Marvel Jr. persona in the movie too!  (thumbsu

5a5c4da17b43c_JackDylanGrazer.gif.ccc34d1fee46312dbe8051ab54d2f065.gif

SHAZAM Character Breakdowns Tease More Villains And A Possible BLACK ADAM Cameo Appearance

Yesterday, Mark Strong confirmed that he's on board the Shazam movie as Dr. Sivana, and these latest character breakdowns from That Hashtag Show suggest that he's going to have some backup when he takes on The Big Red Cheese.

Based on these descriptions, Sivana will be joined by his daughter Beautia and his oldest son, Magnificus - although the former will most likely switch sides and join Billy Batson as she does in he comics. Interestingly, the breakdown for Thaddeus Bodog Sivana himself points to the villain being a full-on sorcerer, and not a scientist who only dabbles in magic.

Finally, we have Shazam the wizard, and a vague "mysterious man" description which has led to speculation that Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson's Black Adam might be showing up for a cameo after all.

• THADDEUS BODOG SIVANA – “Evil sorcerer who regenerates from death with world domination on his mind.” Supporting Lead Male
  • BEAUTIA SIVANA – “Sivana’s devoted daughter. When he does not return her love, she changes loyalties and helps Billy out.” Supporting Lead Female
  • MAGNIFICUS SIVANA – “Sivana’s incredibly giant and strong son that has a huge battle with Shazam.” Supporting Lead Male
  • SHAZAM – “Elderly wizard who is forced to give his powers to a young boy before the boy is ready.” Supporting Lead Male
  • MYSTERIOUS MAN – “Shazam’s underling.” Cameo Male

‘This Is Us’ star Ron Cephas Jones in talks to play the Wizard in ‘Shazam’

Ron-Cephas-Jones-Mamaragan-in-Shazam.jpg

Shazam begins shooting in Toronto next month, but they’re still rounding out the cast. According to The Wrap, This is Us star Ron Cephas Jones is in talks to play the Wizard.

In the comics, The Wizard gives young Billy Batson the magical powers to transform himself into an adult superhero by yelling “Shazam!”. He also gave powers to Black Adam who will be played by Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson in a future movie, not Shazam.

'Shazam!' Will Be Funny but Won't Have Quippy One-Liners

David F. Sandberg recently chimed in on a fan conversation on Reddit, which speculated if Shazam! will be the DC Extended Universe's first "comedic" movie. According to Sandberg, while the -script will have its humor, it won't be overloaded with "quippy one-liners."

"I think it's very funny," Sandberg writes, "but the humor comes more from the situations rather than quippy one-liners (for people who read too much into things, that's not intended as a dig at Marvel or anyone in particular. Quippy one-liners can be great) The important thing for me is to mix the funny with a threat that's serious and to also have dramatic moments. All funny all the time takes the weight out of it."

This news is sure to delight some of the film's supporters, as it gives fans an idea of just how light-hearted the film could be. The film being described as "Big with superpowers" seems to still be a pretty good indicator, as it hints that the film will strike a balance between humor and heart.

And in a way, the situational humor should be expected for some fans, especially those who have been following Sandberg's colorful updates about the film. Still, the director is still finding a balance of making Shazam! under expectations from fans.

"It's going to be interesting, just because of how hardcore the fans are. Like already, if I tweet a little something, suddenly there's blog posts and arguments," Sandberg confessed last August. "And no matter what you do, some people are just going to be disappointed. I get so many tweets about 'You should do this!' And then someone else is like 'No, you should do this!', which is the complete opposite of that. And it's like, well okay, one of you guys is going to be disappointed."

‘Shazam!’: Marta Milans Joins Zachary Levi In New Line Superhero Pic

marta-milans.jpg?w=446&h=299&crop=1

EXCLUSIVE: Marta Milans has joined the growing cast of New Line’s forthcoming superhero pic Shazam! She joins Zachary Levi, who will play the titular role in the David F. Sandberg-directed adaptation of the classic character from DC Comics.

The story of Shazam! follows Billy Baston (Levi), who is able to transform into Shazam by uttering the moniker, an acronym of the ancient world gods and historical figures Solomon, Hercules, Atlas, Zeus, Achilles, and Mercury. Milans will play one of the foster parents at the home where Billy lives.

Asher Angel, Jack Dylan Grazer, Grace Fulton, Ian Chen, Cooper Andrews, and Jovan Armand also co-star. Henry Gayden and Darren Lemke wrote the screenplay while Peter Safran serves as producer.

Warner Bros. recently announced that Shazam! will open on April 5, 2019.  The movie will also open in IMAX. What place Shazam! has in the DC Comics movie universe has yet to be revealed. Perhaps it will be drawn out in the next DC movie, Aquaman, which opens on December 21.

Milans can be seen in the upcoming indie film Asher opposite Ron Perlman. She was also seen in ABC’s Killer Women as well as No Tomorrow on the CW.

RTF EXCLUSIVE: Here’s The Next Time You’ll Get To See Cavill’s SUPERMAN At The Movies!

I can exclusively reveal to you that the next time you’ll get to see Cavill’s Superman on the big screen is April 5, 2019.

Why? Because that’s when Shazam! arrives in theaters.

Yes, folks, I’ve been told by a trusted source that Cavill is set to appear in Shazam! This decision comes after a bunch of internal discussions about where to place him next, since a sequel is still a ways off. Dwayne Johnson is adamant about having Cavill appear in his Black Adam film, but- for the time being- that film, I’m told, is far from getting off the ground because of Johnson’s hectic schedule.

Warner Bros. doesn’t want to wait that long, since they’re still aware that the mainstream response to Superman in Justice League was a favorable one. Even the mostly-negative reviews the film garnered took the time to single out that the portrayal of Superman in the film is one of its saving graces.

So rather than wait for Untitled Superman Sequel or Black Adam, they’ve agreed to have him appear in Shazam! to keep him alive in the minds of the general public. Cavill even lightheartedly teased it back in September.

8 minutes ago, Action252Kid said:

Awesome!  Do you think this makes Wonder Woman less likely to appear?

I have a feeling they will be more aligned with Superman/Shazam: Return of Black Adam than anything else. So including Wonder Woman may be a stretch. Even having Black Adam not appear until his own movie, at least the two superheroes meeting first to turn partners fits the animated movie path.