• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'Shazam' movie official thread (because he deserves one too)
3 3

1,885 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:
8 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I'll give my reasoning in spoilers...

Hide contents

It was great, but when shazaam was kneeling in front of Sylvania... he touches the staff and has a flash back to the other "thrones", but shazaam is touching the staff and sylavana is waiting for shazaam to say, well SHAZAAM!.... shazaam gets the idea to share powers but has the "others" say shazaam.... so this whole time that he was having the flash back holding the staff, Sylvania could have said shazaam himself.... the only critique of an awesome movie!

Thanks for pointing this out...

Hide contents

I think the wielder of the magical powers is the one that has to say the word in order to pass it on to someone else. The kids saying 'Shazam' was them doing this once they had their hands on the staff.

Could get a little tricky. But it could come down to the kids were not powered up yet to pass on power, but more they were receiving such powers.

Ah I see..

Spoiler

The old man told batson to say shazaam transferred power... batson said it after the old man's speech to transfer....

When batson was shazaam the kids only said shazaam, so no speech or transfer. The way the one kid was pointing the new powers out after the kids aid shazaam, it was like only a few powers each, some with flight, some with speed/strength lol or that was the idea I got...

Could be Sylvania just didn't know the process. When both Sylvania and shazaam are touching it and shazaam has the flash back that gave him the idea for thrones and transfer to the kids.... I was fearful of a transfer to Sylvania but I didn't know "who needed yo say shazaam" lol hopefully all that made sense hahaha

7 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Ah I see..

Hide contents

The old man told batson to say shazaam transferred power... batson said it after the old man's speech to transfer....

When batson was shazaam the kids only said shazaam, so no speech or transfer. The way the one kid was pointing the new powers out after the kids aid shazaam, it was like only a few powers each, some with flight, some with speed/strength lol or that was the idea I got...

Could be Sylvania just didn't know the process. When both Sylvania and shazaam are touching it and shazaam has the flash back that gave him the idea for thrones and transfer to the kids.... I was fearful of a transfer to Sylvania but I didn't know "who needed yo say shazaam" lol hopefully all that made sense hahaha

^^

Spoiler

I think we just figured it out together.

Man, the use of horror to up the villain intensity was something I did not expect to be so much. When they break into the board room and start eating the board members - HOLY! :whatthe: 

Just came back as well. I was a little late as I thought there would be trailers, so I think I might have missed a little bit. If someone could tell me what the opening sequences ere, that would be great.

Overall, for me, this is the best DCEU film. I liked Wonder Woman, but I thought it was a great lead performance in an otherwise mediocre film. Aquaman was dumb as a bag of hammers, and suffered from them throwing every "kewl" thing they could think at at the screen hoping something would stick, but some of it did manage to stick, so it was at least watchable. The rest of the DCEU films range from "flaming bag of poop" to "Satan's grundle." 

Not this one, though! This one is a goodie. 

My theater had a mid-credits scene and a post-credits scene. The mid-credits scene for us was fantastic, I think Captain Marvel fans will totally geek out big time. Everyone else in my theater was audibly confused as to what the heck they were seeing. The post-credits scene was just a little joke, okay, probably not worth sticking around for if you have anything else to do. 

8/10 for me, definitely recommend. 

I will echo, though, that parents bringing kids should be aware that there are one or two scenes in particular with Sivana that are may more horror themed and graphically violent than I expected, or that I thought was necessary. Could have toned that down a bit without losing anything. So just be aware if you're bringing kids!

1 minute ago, Crimebuster said:

Just came back as well. I was a little late as I thought there would be trailers, so I think I might have missed a little bit. If someone could tell me what the opening sequences ere, that would be great.

Overall, for me, this is the best DCEU film. I liked Wonder Woman, but I thought it was a great lead performance in an otherwise mediocre film. Aquaman was dumb as a bag of hammers, and suffered from them throwing every "kewl" thing they could think at at the screen hoping something would stick, but some of it did manage to stick, so it was at least watchable. The rest of the DCEU films range from "flaming bag of poop" to "Satan's grundle." 

Not this one, though! This one is a goodie. 

My theater had a mid-credits scene and a post-credits scene. The mid-credits scene for us was fantastic, I think Captain Marvel fans will totally geek out big time. Everyone else in my theater was audibly confused as to what the heck they were seeing. The post-credits scene was just a little joke, okay, probably not worth sticking around for if you have anything else to do. 

8/10 for me, definitely recommend. 

I will echo, though, that parents bringing kids should be aware that there are one or two scenes in particular with Sivana that are may more horror themed and graphically violent than I expected, or that I thought was necessary. Could have toned that down a bit without losing anything. So just be aware if you're bringing kids!

Beginning of the film...

Spoiler

We get to see how Sivana came to hate the wizard Shazam, and wanting to get back to the lair so as to gain his powers. Smallville's John Glover as his father suffers his injuries in this scene.

Been waiting my entire comic book aficionado life for this and truthfully thought this would never happen in my lifetime.  Kudos to Peter Safran and David F. Sandberg for this opportunity to be entertained by my ultimate favorite Super Hero on the big screen.   I'm prepped and going in....  see all you Shazamites on the other side!  (thumbsu

1506146963_Gettingprepped.gif.5d197e5569bb1422f8407a4350961a74.gif

Great movie...9/10 for me. This may sound a bit over the top, but I felt like I was watching a contemporary version of the first Superman. The entire movie was magical and I was especially entertained with the final battle scene.

Parents should be advised that there are horror-like scenes that can scare kiddos.

19 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

97% is a positive sign this will have legs and do good. Word of mouth is very powerful.

Good job DC!

(thumbsu

would be shocked if it doesn't blow away $45MM tracking, bought the opening weekend $45 calls for $2; same as w/ US :flipbait: too bad it's fake

3 hours ago, Mr.TawkyTawny said:

Been waiting my entire comic book aficionado life for this and truthfully thought this would never happen in my lifetime.  Kudos to Peter Safran and David F. Sandberg for this opportunity to be entertained by my ultimate favorite Super Hero on the big screen.   I'm prepped and going in....  see all you Shazamites on the other side!  (thumbsu

1506146963_Gettingprepped.gif.5d197e5569bb1422f8407a4350961a74.gif

Welllllll?????????????

Wow, glad to hear some positive reviews here. I can’t see this until next month unfortunately when I get back to the US. Hope it’s still in theaters. My initial thoughts were it would probably be just ok if you were a kid but now I’m really looking forward to seeing it.

5 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

Welllllll?????????????

A movie so nice I saw it twice!  Provocative and compelling, far surpassed my expectations and stayed for the 7:00 PM showing as well.  Screenwriter Henry Gayden scripted an authentic Fawcett Captain Marvel Adventures morality tale which would have made Otto Binder extremely proud.  Every child on the planet needs to see this movie.

I've always considered Joe Johnston was channeling Michael Curtiz from beyond in his direction on Captain America: The First Avenger as it could have been filmed by Curtiz himself.  Shazam! is so elegant and artistic of a motion picture, Sandberg and Alexandre are the new Welles and Toland for the next generation.  :applause:

1409836950_TawnyContentment.jpg.b5fdb1f50748a913ae0043580e53b410.jpg

Edited by Mr.TawkyTawny

13 minutes ago, Mr.TawkyTawny said:

A movie so nice I saw it twice!  Provocative and compelling, far surpassed my expectations and stayed for the 7:00 PM showing as well.  Screenwriter Henry Gayden scripted an authentic Fawcett Captain Marvel Adventures morality tale which would have made Otto Binder extremely proud.  Every child on the planet needs to see this movie.

I've always considered Joe Johnston was channeling Michael Curtiz from beyond in his direction on Captain America: The First Avenger as it could have been filmed by Curtiz himself.  Shazam! is so elegant and artistic of a motion picture, Sandberg and Alexandre are the new Welles and Toland for the next generation.  :applause:

1409836950_TawnyContentment.jpg.b5fdb1f50748a913ae0043580e53b410.jpg

Glad it blew you away. When you started voicing concerns it had lost touch with the source based on some of the casting news lately, that had me concerned.

Spoiler

Even the Santa Claus scenes were well done, and fitting to the story.

When Darla leans in to tell Santa she's been a good girl and his response, that was great.