• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'Shazam' movie official thread (because he deserves one too)
4 4

1,885 posts in this topic

On 7/4/2019 at 5:15 AM, Mr.TawkyTawny said:

This is comedy gold.  :roflmao:

1633158868_FaitheHermanPost07032019.png.adf92fd71c007db3c5c8b6d096000d9d.png

Sandberg shared more about this video.

I found that to be interesting between Billy's memory of his mother and what she remembered, and how one was bright and loving and the other was dark and cold.

13 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I found that to be interesting between Billy's memory of his mother and what she remembered, and how one was bright and loving and the other was dark and cold.

It is referred to as the Rashomon effect whereby an event is described with contradictory interpretations by the individuals involved.  Sandberg skillfully applied this unique film technique first developed by Akira Kurosawa with his storytelling in his film "Rashomôn."  (thumbsu

1187207438_TawnyPersonalityGuide.jpg.55873848eb16caf6b8774bb0e3a6b1e7.jpg

Edited by Mr.TawkyTawny

4 hours ago, Mr.TawkyTawny said:

It is referred to as the Rashomon effect whereby an event is described with conradictory interpretations by the individuals involved.  Sandberg skillfully applied this unique film technique first developed by Akira Kurosawa with his storytelling in his film "Rashomôn."  (thumbsu

That's really cool. I had never heard of this term before.

10 Great Movies That Used The Rashomon Effect

Akira Kurosawa’s 1950’s classic “Rashomon” was groundbreaking for several reasons. Even if the Japanese director had been making films successfully since the 1940s, “Rashomon” was the true breakthrough for him on his home turf, with awards accolades and critical recognition occurring immediately. Add to that, it was the first Japanese movie to really be successful overseas in the United States and Europe leading the director to international acclaim there as well.

Lastly, and most importantly, it rewrote the rules of a film’s narrative: it told the same occurrence over again from three separate times. Yet each time the events are recalled by a different person, and their personal view on the situation would slant and alter compared to the others. Thus, creating the Rashomon Effect, a specific narrative device used throughout the years by other filmmakers in other movies. So, let’s take a look at some of these key examples.

1. Gone Girl (2014)

2. Hero (2002)

3. Courage Under Fire (1996)

4. Predestination (2014)

5. The Usual Suspects (1995)

6. Snake Eyes (1998)

7. The Handmaiden (2016)

8. Ghost Dog (1999)

9. The Outrage (1964)

10. Elephant (2003)

For me, Gone Girl is quite an interesting movie seeing things from Ben Affleck's character view to Rosamund Pike's view. And that story twist of what really occurred is such a surprise.

You see what happened was Billy ran out and I could care less about that little punk but he still owes me a ton of money and I figured I should break his little punk @ss legs so I tried to trip him but he's like a ninja OK..

2018671974_HeslikeaNinja.thumb.png.0a21527f2c0ad9e29498ce6d6923d310.png

I swear David F. Sandberg's intellectual genius style of filmmaking is like an Orson Welles with a Jay Ward sense of humour...  :D

1640040433_ProblemSolvinginFilmmaking.gif.26f77fb5491f989949ceb9835998fe99.gif

I watched Shazam last night with the David Sandberg commentary track (you can only do this via iTunes extras). Talk about someone deep into movie-making. The details he shares throughout what goes into set design, actor placement, editing and even working with the cast and crew to determine scenes was quite interesting. And he definitely delved deep into Captain Marvel/Shazam lore, and how he had to pick his battles which parts to focus on.

It sounds like there are so many details hidden throughout the Rock of Eternity, they couldn't even focus on them all. Yet the crew took the time to place these throughout the set, like the burning violin. I had to look this one up.

Another musical instrument-themed Easter egg. Near to where the villain Mister Mind was imprisoned on the Rock of Eternity can be seen a burning fiddle – an apparent reference to a story in the 1946 comic Captain Marvel Adventures #64. It centers around Oggar, another ancient, corrupted pupil of the Wizard. He enchants the violin of his henchman, Nero, to spew fire, and it almost burns down New York City. 

11 minutes ago, Mr.TawkyTawny said:

Scene from LEGO DC: Batman - Family Matters.  Love the throwback original art déco Subway Car from Whiz Comics #2 and #25.  Nice.  :whee:

2083462860_WhizComics2.png.42a970ccc9c393fbe565cc8edc4a8445.png1773858149_WhizComics25CMJr.thumb.png.a3a6aafd0ee4cdaca4c39fc90dc19aac.png

That's actually really cool.

So being a mid-credit scene I am wondering if this means Shazam gets the LEGO treatment.

Finally caved, bought it, and watched it yesterday.

Solid 4/5 or B+.

I'd like to give it a better score, but there are too many problems:

• Too many coincidental/convenient crimes early on.
  • Random lightning strikes bus a mile away. Not believable after he'd been doing the same BS for show.
  • The Sins VFX were not polished all the way through.
  • The entire use of his adopted family in the 3rd Act. Sins take their time capturing the kids, "stop" prevents Sivana/Sin from killing girl, his family figures out the villains weakness!? WTF!?
  • Are the kids all Captain Marvels, now? Yikes.
Edited by TwoPiece

Now, for some positives:

• The pre-title scene was 100% great.
  • Angel and Levi are perfect for their roles.
  • In theory, the Sins were the perfect villain(s), despite not being executed to perfection.
  • Despite the SHAZAM kids being lame, their adult counterparts were cast perfectly.
  • That Superman cameo - awesome.

Honestly, if you took the foster kids out of the equation of the 3rd Act, this movie could've been close-to-perfect for me. It was too campy and prototypical. The directing and visuals are fantastic.

It was a lot less funny than I was expecting - that's a good thing.

20 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Finally caved, bought it, and watched it yesterday.

Solid 4/5 or B+.

I'd like to give it a better score, but there are too many problems:

• Too many coincidental/convenient crimes early on.
  • Random lightning strikes bus a mile away. Not believable after he'd been doing the same BS for show.
  • The Sins VFX were not polished all the way through.
  • The entire use of his adopted family in the 3rd Act. Sins take their time capturing the kids, "stop" prevents Sivana/Sin from killing girl, his family figures out the villains weakness!? WTF!?
  • Are the kids all Captain Marvels, now? Yikes.

You went to Endgame SIX TIMES but never even bothered to see Shazam once at the theater?

Here's some details how The Original Captain Marvel launched the first live comic book character film, beating out Superman. It touches on the story of the Marvel Family to help explain the backstory.

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

You went to Endgame SIX TIMES but never even bothered to see Shazam once at the theater?..

Endgame is about 22,000 times better than SHAZAM, so... Yes.

Endgame presented as a dark finale to a great franchise. SHAZAM looked like a joke offering from a studio that's seemingly working to destroy itself. A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.

Luckily, SHAZAM disappointed that billing. The humor wasn't overwhelming, the visuals are (mostly) fantastic, and it's yet another film that fits into the tone set by Zack Snyder for Worlds of DC.

1 minute ago, TwoPiece said:

Endgame is about 22,000 times better than SHAZAM, so... Yes.

Endgame presented as a dark finale to a great franchise. SHAZAM looked like a joke offering from a studio that's seemingly working to destroy itself. A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.

Luckily, SHAZAM disappointed that billing. The humor wasn't overwhelming, the visuals are (mostly) fantastic, and it's yet another film that fits into the tone set by Zack Snyder for Worlds of DC.

Is it? I'll have to take your word for it, as calculating that 22,000 X would require the wisdom of Solomon. :baiting:

Meanwhile, back at the office. The film now leads to a spin-off and a planned sequel or two. :wink:

3 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Is it? I'll have to take your word for it, as calculating that 22,000 X would require the wisdom of Solomon. :baiting:

Meanwhile, back at the office. The film now leads to a spin-off and a planned sequel or two. :wink:

It is. That's no slam to SHAZAM, either. It's a borderline great movie. Endgame is just that good, bra. (thumbsu

Hopefully they kick up the 4D3D3D3 in the sequels. The only concern of mine is having 6 little :censored:head SHAZAMs walking around... Who needs the Justice League now..?

[Sorry, can't watch your video at work, and not sure if it explains anything.]