• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'Shazam' movie official thread (because he deserves one too)
4 4

1,885 posts in this topic

Thanks, @Bosco685 - I've scoured this video and every article, image and every other resource for the past couple of months. I've posted on several other boards (Comic Geek Speak, Comic Book Resources, etc.), including all of my Shazam!/Captain Marvel groups on Facebook, but to no avail. As far as I can tell, no one except Alex seems to know.

If there's someone more knowledgeable than myself who has the answer, I've apparently not been able to raise their attention.

If you're interested in seeing the key (so far), here's a link to my list, which I posted on the Comic Forums (Comic Geek Speak's forum):
https://bit.ly/2Z28jyN

Pax, harmonia,

Brian

10 minutes ago, BGPhilbiln said:

Thanks, @Bosco685 - I've scoured this video and every article, image and every other resource for the past couple of months. I've posted on several other boards (Comic Geek Speak, Comic Book Resources, etc.), including all of my Shazam!/Captain Marvel groups on Facebook, but to no avail. As far as I can tell, no one except Alex seems to know.

If there's someone more knowledgeable than myself who has the answer, I've apparently not been able to raise their attention.

If you're interested in seeing the key (so far), here's a link to my list, which I posted on the Comic Forums (Comic Geek Speak's forum):

Pax, harmonia,

Brian

Sounds like a research challenge. Let's see.

35 minutes ago, BGPhilbiln said:

Pax, harmonia,

Brian

One Reddit user has been amassing a long list of the characters as he has identified them.

He is also stuck on a few of the characters.

@Bosco685 Yup, I did see during my research that his search paralleled my own & he's almost as close as I am. I tweeted to him about a month ago that he is missing Captain Marble and Billy Battyson (Billy takes "Old Doc Shazam's Elixir" containing "Smaltz herring, Hedgehog quills, Axel grease, Zebra livers, Avocado seeds, Mashed garlic) - cowering behind Kingdom Come Captain Marvel's leg - a parody by "Get Lost" magazine, drawn by Ross Andru. But other than that, he's got the same problem as I do. No response to my tweet during the past several weeks.

In the link from The Comic Forums that I listed above, you'll see that the first comment shows my list, which I've ordered with regard to their groupings (as loose as those are - I was planning to number them when I was done). Sadly, I'm still searching and anyone I've been able to find who was interested at one time is either not paying attention to my assistance, requests or has simply lost interest.

8 minutes ago, Mr.TawkyTawny said:

I've always wondered what this was in the Rock of Eternity, always looked like a blurry blob in the movie theatre.  Zazzo-plus's Gold Helmet.  Coooooool. (thumbsu

1723324734_Zazzo-PlussGoldHelmet.png.1a4c39d6985a854d5b5a10c02111feed.png887176188_Shazam!19.png.f71354d59369fb8fe36933705be52c8d.png

383307705_DarlaTeaParty.thumb.png.fc34b4d8a00856aa67ef153fc8418520.png

Like we had noted previously, there are in-plain-sight Easter Eggs honoring so much of Shazam's history. I really loved that about this film. Not just a focus on the Geoff Johns run as some assumed.

If there is one region that drastically impacted Shazam from reaching $400M worldwide, it was China. When comparing to other DC films in the region, it was off by at least off by $46.8M if you use Wonder Woman as a benchmark.

DC_BO190725a.PNG.cc77398ebc44c71e02615f18b197f3c2.PNG

And when comparing to all recent DC and Marvel films in the region, the numbers look even worse. The MCU has really figured out this region especially.

DC_BO190725b.PNG.9e94aaf57e1ad1ae563b6328e2fa7c2b.PNG

Does the movie get better later? I could not watch the entire film, I made it as far as the scene where Shazam is shooting lightning from his hands and singing to the Rocky music, and he causes the bus accident.

The wisdom of solomon??? grants him clairvoyance and superior intellect. The way they portrayed Shazam in the film, he was a doofus insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

27 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

Does the movie get better later? I could not watch the entire film, I made it as far as the scene where Shazam is shooting lightning from his hands and singing to the Rocky music, and he causes the bus accident.

The wisdom of solomon??? grants him clairvoyance and superior intellect. The way they portrayed Shazam in the film, he was a doofus insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

It's okay if you don't like the film. Nobody needs to force you into a corner on this.

But since the 80's the character of Billy Batson as Shazam maintained the mind of a kid while having the power of a god. So what you were seeing portrayed on the screen that may not have realized the intent was a child performing for money and attention, knowing he had this massive power to showboat for the crowds.

It's part of later learning to be more responsible with such powers. Not something you can reference back to with most other characters. Though with series like Teen Titans these are kids as super-powered kids having to learn together to be more responsible. Billy doesn't have that benefit.

@porcupine48 I'd give this a try as I think you may be very surprised. And the horror influences from Sandberg only adds to the story - not detracts. Trust me, Jimmers. :foryou:

Edited by Bosco685

4 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

It's okay if you don't like the film. Nobody needs to force you into a corner on this.

But since the 80's the character of Billy Batson as Shazam maintained the mind of a kid while having the power of a god. So what you were seeing portrayed on the screen that may not have realized the intent was a child performing for money and attention, knowing he had this massive power to showboat for the crowds.

It's part of later learning to be more responsible with such powers. Not something you can reference back to with most other characters. Though with series like Teen Titans these are kids as super-powered kids having to learn together to be more responsible. Billy doesn't have that benefit.

@porcupine48 I'd give this a try as I think you may be very surprised. And the horror influences from Sandberg only adds to the story - not detracts. Trust me, Jimmers. :foryou:

thanks, I have read very few Shazam comics but the few i have read (golden age) he didnt seem to have the mind of a kid so the portrayal in the movie is confusing to say the least.

Alright Nick,I'll go in with a more open mind but it will now be forever tainted with that hamster gif!

I think this should be put in a future movie,because to me,that's the coolest he's been since the forties

!!!!!1.jpg

12 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

thanks, I have read very few Shazam comics but the few i have read (golden age) he didnt seem to have the mind of a kid so the portrayal in the movie is confusing to say the least.

As his first post-Crisis On Infinite Earths series, Shazam: The New Beginning is where they went down the path of Captain Marvel retaining his Billy Batson memories and personality. You get a feel for that by Shazam #3 as he talks with his uncle about these powers.

Shazam03_pg2.png.d6d2cd5eb04595fadefbd518abc4ca99.png

I've been consolidating his Copper Age appearances. This series comes up after the Legends six-part storyline where they also relaunched Justice League.

Shazam_Copper_Age01.thumb.png.909f8c3fff6dd51e0c82bdbbc116c1f2.png

11 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

Alright Nick,I'll go in with a more open mind but it will now be forever tainted with that hamster gif!

I think this should be put in a future movie,because to me,that's the coolest he's been since the forties

!!!!!1.jpg

Man, that would be awesome to see that in the live sequel. :applause: