• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cerebus 1 a more valuable key than Hulk 181? Really Overstreet? Poll on Page 87
3 3

1,571 posts in this topic

On 1/5/2018 at 11:14 PM, Martin Sinescu said:

meh ......no.

See, I believe you're thinking Cerebus may be something that it is not. While Cerebus absolutely paved the way for indy books like TMNT and Bone, it is not a cuddly, wacky anthropomorphic animal series like all the books it begat.

Sim did not create Cerebus to be a marketable property with multimedia potential (okay, they did make a stuffed animal). In fact, at times the character's actually a real jerk... but its authentic in the way that our own acquaintances can be infuriating when they don't do what we think is logical or correct. Sim infused his character with a lot dimension, often directly channeling his own prickly arrogance, selfishness and immorality yet also peppering him with a sarcastic, even simplistic wit. Because there was no publisher or editor to pigeon-hole his characters into unrealistic black and white (was that a pun?) categories, his aardvark had a depth and nuance that many human comic characters before never had. 

He also used his title as a vehicle to parody contemporary religion, government, society, etc. (even comics themselves). At times it is tough to read, partly because it can be very dense and complex but also because Sim was not afraid to portray very uncomfortable situations and conflicts. There is humor, sure, Sim's a funny freaking guy, but the freedom he had to evolve his story gave it a scope which may be unparalleled in comics. The blend of artistic styles was unique among anything else I've ever seen, the layouts took risks which would surprise and engage you at the turn of a page, the narrative style constantly changed throughout the series, from arc to arc and sometimes from issue to issue, while the layers of plot and character development were involved on the level of a decades-old soap opera. It was truly bold, unfiltered and unpredictable. 

It's a significant book because of its role in growing independent comic publishing which exploded over the following decade, it's significant because of its hugely ambitious 300-issue run, it's significant because of Dave Sim's daring, intricate and challenging style of storytelling which probably laid the groundwork for what writers like Miller, Moore, and Gaiman continued in the 80's, but I do not think it is significant because this character has mass-market, cartoon appeal. Sim would have to be very, very dead before that would happen... but now that I think about it, it might be just the kind of a-hole thing he would do as a last poot in the face of the world to will the character to Disney.

Sounds like an Adult Swim cartoon to me. (thumbsu

On 1/6/2018 at 3:35 PM, chrisco37 said:

Ahh Jaydog...as usual, you couldn’t be more wrong.  But you’re steadfast in your belief.  Gotta give you that.

I find it funny that Jaydog talks about Cerebus 1 as a niche book , and in the same breath can talk about his Del Otto variants as if they were gold bars. 

Spent the afternoon yesterday having lunch with one of the largest dealers on the East Coast. This topic came up. He would put Cerebus 1 in 9.8 at $30,000 and probably give it to Heritage. 

Edited by FlyingDonut

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

I'd say he compared the first appearance of a character which inspired a genre to the 2,458th appearance of Spider-man disguised as variants which are only famous for being famous.  He compared a hall of fame actor to the Kardashians.

Well from where I'm sitting he just compared an absurdist cartoon book that hasn't been relevant and that virtually nobody has cared about for at least twenty years to one of the rarest copies of ASM ever printed.

But either way, great-  We are agreed that it was a ridiculous false equivalency.  (thumbsu

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

2 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Well from where I'm sitting he just compared an absurdist cartoon book that hasn't been relevant and that virtually nobody has cared about for at least twenty years to one of the rarest copies of ASM ever printed.

Where was this? I see no mention of ASM anywhere. (shrug)

3 hours ago, Lazyboy said:
6 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Where was this? I see no mention of ASM anywhere. (shrug)

14 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

Spent the afternoon yesterday having lunch with one of the largest dealers on the East Coast. This topic came up. He would put Cerebus 1 in 9.8 at $30,000 and probably give it to Heritage. 

But that's just his opinion, man.  Jaydog rules, and he's got one, too.    :wink:

Edited by namisgr

On 1/8/2018 at 4:07 PM, valiantman said:
On 1/8/2018 at 4:02 PM, Jaydogrules said:
On 1/8/2018 at 1:35 PM, oakman29 said:

I find it funny that Jaydog talks about Cerebus 1 as a niche book , and in the same breath can talk about his Del Otto variants as if they were gold bars. 

Did you really just compare Cerebus to Spider-man?  Wow.  doh!

-J.

I'd say he compared the first appearance of a character which inspired a genre to the 2,458th appearance of Spider-man disguised as variants which are only famous for being famous.  He compared a hall of fame actor to the Kardashians.

:roflmao:

On 1/8/2018 at 10:35 AM, oakman29 said:
On 1/6/2018 at 3:35 PM, chrisco37 said:

Ahh Jaydog...as usual, you couldn’t be more wrong.  But you’re steadfast in your belief.  Gotta give you that.

As a comic book collector, this is an absolute no-brainer between these two books and it wouldn't even be close.  (thumbsu

I made it to about page 10.  Going to make finishing reading this....train-wreck of entertainment... a rainy day project :)

But yah, Cerebus is mostly irrelevant to most people today, but I'd much rather have a Cerebus 1 than be one of the billion people with a hulk 181.  Punisher's cooler than wolvie anyway.

On 7/16/2017 at 6:32 AM, herc2000 said:

Cerebus 1 is obviously a lot rarer, but there's a lot more people who are out there wanting Hulk 181's for their collection.

^^

The easy way to tell if one is hotter than the other is which one would sell quicker?

Put up both a average copy of Hulk #181 and Cerebus #1. The Hulk #181 would get more views and more bids.

It`s all about demand.

Other than AF#15 there is not another more in demand comic than Hulk #181

and this is before they introduce Wolverine in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

On 11/30/2017 at 3:27 PM, jason4 said:

Hulk 181 by a mile. What the hell is a cerebus. An elephant with a sword? To each his own I guess but honestly no one pretty much knows who this thing is. Everyone knows wolverine. 

This is the common sense approach. I liken it to people who pay big bucks for first Usagi Yojimbo Albedo #2 when the could get much more multiple liquid copies of ASM#300(first Venom) and NM#98(first Deadpool).

To each his own I guess.

3 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

This is the common sense approach. I liken it to people who pay big bucks for first Usagi Yojimbo Albedo #2 when the could get much more multiple liquid copies of ASM#300(first Venom) and NM#98(first Deadpool).

To each his own I guess.

Yea same thing with albedo 2. Respect for that book because it is EXPENSIVE . But me personally and I’d wager most people who are into comics wouldn’t pay 5 dollars to have it in their collection unless obviously for resale. 

I watched ninja turtles in the late 80s early 90s as a kid and I wasn’t impressed by him even as a kid...a ninja bunny? Maybe I missed something (shrug)?