• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM : Strange Tales #158 [1st full Living Tribunal]

19 posts in this topic

First off, for those of you that like larger scans, please click through the image for larger / zoomable scans.

There are a few light indentations on the cover that don't show up well in the scan, but they will definitely press out.

The red of the cover is actually stunning in hand, very bright.

Nothing else comes to mind, so thanks for looking!

w9GRbP1l.jpg

DnBcjIBl.jpg

3 minutes ago, AJ0605 said:

Just for my own knowledge, how does a book with multiple decent-sized color breaking spine stresses like that get a 9.4? It looks like one is larger than 1/2 inch easy.

I saw those! After I zoomed in on the picture, I noticed some very serious spine wear. Maybe CGC is getting more lax with their grading...

On 10/30/2017 at 7:23 PM, AJ0605 said:

Just for my own knowledge, how does a book with multiple decent-sized color breaking spine stresses like that get a 9.4? It looks like one is larger than 1/2 inch easy.

On 10/30/2017 at 7:27 PM, Spawn1709 said:

I saw those! After I zoomed in on the picture, I noticed some very serious spine wear. Maybe CGC is getting more lax with their grading...

I expected a 9.2, but I don't personally feel it's overgraded at a 9.4.

The 'decent-sized color breaking spine stresses' are very small, you have to take into account the size of the scan, and the fact that the scan process itself is a result of beaming light into those imperfections. Looking at it in hand, I can just barely make out the tic above the lintel stone, and mostly because of what looks like it may be the beginning of chipping draws your eye to it, while the tic midway between the lintel stone and the ground is a little more noticeable. The 'half inch' estimate is way off.

On 10/31/2017 at 5:35 PM, 1950's war comics said:

Great Ditko cover ! ... CGC 7.0... hopefully better.....

I always thought this was Severin cover.

Edit: This cover is attributed to Severin / Everett as best I can find.

Edited by SquareChaos