• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FYI - Best Artists Ever... Ever
2 2

261 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, thunsicker said:

You’ve heard of “Master Race”, yes?  Perhaps the most famous EC story.

somehow, I have never heard of it.  For that, I am sorry.

3 hours ago, kav said:

Just because I never heard of krigstein?  Have you ever heard of dennis worden or sophie campbell?  Not every person has heard of every artist.

Not because you've never heard of Krigstein (I've seen others on the board make the joyous discovery of the historic role played by Krigstein as a seminal influence on Miller, etc.), but because you say of a character in a non-superhero EC story, who is a concentration camp survivor, the following:

So that dude does look like rorshach right?  I had thought Charlton's The Question was the inspiration for him.

Forgive me that I thought only someone being cynically sarcastic would claim that a character in a non-superhero story was the inspiration for the Question or Rorsach because they both wear suits.  I now fear I'll see Impact 1 (and a host of other comics) marketed as a Question "prototype issue."

Edited by sfcityduck

11 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Not because you've never heard of Krigstein (I've seen others on the board make the joyous discovery of the historic role played by Krigstein as a seminal influence on Miller, etc.), but because you say of a character in a non-superhero EC story, who is a concentration camp survivor, the following:

Forgive me that I thought only someone being cynically sarcastic would claim that a character in a non-superhero story was the inspiration for the Question or Rorsach because they both wear suits.  I now fear I'll see Impact 3 (and a host of other comics) marketed as a Question "prototype issue."

I couldnt see the pic very well he looked like rorshach thats why I asked.

9 minutes ago, kav said:

I couldnt see the pic very well he looked like rorshach thats why I asked.

If someone's never heard of Bernard Krigstein or read the story in Impact 1, it's a fairly innocent comment to make.

Being a big EC fan, yes, Krigstein was a brilliant artist, and contributed the very influential congruent panel cut-up technique to the comic art medium.  Possibly it had been employed before his time, but never with quite his level of virtuosity.

Edited by Ken Aldred

4 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

If someone's never heard of Bernard Krigstein or read the story in Impact 1, it's a fairly innocent comment to make.

Being a big EC fan, yes, Krigstein was a brilliant artist, and contributed the very influential congruent panel cut-up technique to the comic art medium.  Possibly it had been employed before his time, but never with quite his level of virtuosity.

I am all over this guy, now.

21 minutes ago, thunsicker said:

Oh and btw just got the flyer from HA.  Didn’t know that the OA for Master Race is coming up for auction.  Incredible.

jaw-dropping.gif

3 minutes ago, Spyder! said:

I just read the first post in this thread. Made me laugh so hard! McFarlane, yes. But the rest? Seriously? Hahahaha hahahaha!!!!

jaw-dropping.gif

2 hours ago, kav said:

jaw-dropping.gif

FWIW, the art is included in IDW EC artist's edition II, as well. Not a big fan myself, but that's just me. Reminds me of the love for Alex Toth. I enjoy the Pit splash page a lot. And  l really like the Flying Machine art, (also in EC artist's edition 1).

pit.jpg

Edited by bronze_rules

1 hour ago, Spyder! said:

I just read the first post in this thread. Made me laugh so hard! McFarlane, yes. But the rest? Seriously? Hahahaha hahahaha!!!!

(shrug)

Screenshot 2018-09-28 at 8.11.14 PM.png

46 minutes ago, WayToGo said:

I think you missed Frazetta's name on the list :gossip: but yeah, any list of Best Artists that includes Liefeld is automatically null and void.

Looks like Frazetta was added later and not part of the original post (shrug)

Yes, he should absolutely be included