• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FYI - Best Artists Ever... Ever
2 2

261 posts in this topic

BOOM

McFarlane

Kieth

Silvestri

Liefeld

Lee

Larsen

Valentino

Keown

Frazetta

Ottley

Jenkins

Dragotta

Now you know and knowing is half the battle.

The fact that Frazetta is even on that list is kind of insulting.

I am a big fan of Marcos Martin's work. I would love to own a Spider-man page but from what I understand he does not sell his art. I have seen some of the Breach and Batgirl pages made available but nothing from Doctor Strange or Spider-man.

BOOM

McFarlane

Kieth

Silvestri

Liefeld

Lee

Larsen

Valentino

Keown

Frazetta

Ottley

Jenkins

Dragotta

Congrats.

You've managed to name a grand total of ONE master, five halfway decent artists, three rather uninspiring pencillers...and three utterly abysmal, talent-deprived simpletons.

As Definitive Lists go...this one went. :baiting:

I'm counting seven talent deprived simpletons and three people I've never heard of.

BOOM

McFarlane

Kieth Kirby

Silvestri Byrne

Liefeld Miller

Lee Kane

Larsen Adams

Valentino Raboy

Keown Kubert

Ottley Frazzetta

Jenkins Wrightson

Dragotta Perez

Fixed it. :preach:

+1 I agree with this list.

BOOM

McFarlane Lark

Kieth Kirby

Silvestri Byrne

Liefeld Miller

Lee Kane Swan

Larsen Adams

Valentino Raboy

Keown Kubert Phillips

Ottley Frazzetta

Jenkins Wrightson

Dragotta Perez

Fixed it. :preach:

+1 I agree with this list.

Fixed

Kirby

Wood

Buscema

Romita Sr

Adams

Byrne

Frazetta

Infantino

20 years ago, I would have said Kirby, Adams, and Wood for my top three.

Now, I have more and more respect for the absolute versatility that Romita and Buscema had.

Frazetta is on a whole other level.

Not to dump on anyone's opinion, but the OP's list.....yikes.

Just to stir things up a bit.

I would say that the best comic book artists are the best storytellers (sequential art). (It would be a given that mastery of anatomy and perspective would a part of this ability.)

This would mean that they would need some scope in which to demonstrate this.

This would be both in terms of the page length of their stories (storytelling) and the length of time that they were working in the field (body of work).

I would also think that their influence upon peers and successors would be of significance.

How would Frazetta's body of comic book art fit within these parameters?

It's a given that many greats will be overlooked due to limited familiarity with various artist's work. hm

Since Reed Crandall has yet to be mentioned, I'd like to add his work for consideration and also cast another vote for Lou Fine.

Below are two samples of each artist's cover work... smiley-char156.gif

d3749b17-e9cc-47cc-bb0f-6793ffa511bc_zps58cee5b9.jpg386d9628-308d-4e61-b3b6-d28d2ff6d676_zps18a60ec1.jpg

b4c713aa-b94a-4d42-b691-88fc38dd6ef8_zps4f77a4e6.jpge5bcb3db-a774-4ca1-9389-40e473576ebc_zpsbe574261.jpg

All hits of course! (thumbs u

Kirby... not the be all end all in the slightest...

Just never thought of Kirby as the "best" or even near the top. With the exception of the Fantastic Four covers, I mostly look at Kirby's other work with appreciation but not greatness. They are good to me but they do not mesmerize. I can look at a Schomburg or especially a Feldstein cover and be captivated, looking at every nook and cranny of the cover in an effort to see what detail I missed the first time around and what else I can find. Kirby is good, but not as good as a few others.

As I write this I can think of several artists like Fred Ray and Jack Burnley who composed some excellent artwork, both of which grab me in a way that Kirby's work does not.

Now... I can appreciate that Jack knew how to lay down a comic book and was probably one of the most prolific and talented artists of his generation. I can also appreciate that Miley Cyrus has incredible vocal range and a natural voice. However, I do not own anything by Miley Cyrus as most of the music she produces does not interest me. (However she is working with the Flaming Lips so that may change.)

Either way while I can appreciate that Miley has incredible talent and I cannot take that away from her, I can also say that I do not think she is the 'best'. I believe the same with Kirby.

No LB Cole, Alex Schomburg or Jim Steranko? Lots of good ones, but Kirby and Adams in a class by themselves IMHO.

Would've gladly added them, ...but I didn't wanna push my luck! lol

Schomburg...

8ddb6d72-84dc-4054-9366-43b7e0b7514f_zps97696c06.jpg

LB Cole...

d3ddb93e-dab5-403c-b3bc-97bd7f99791a_zpsc1ff0800.jpg

Sorry, I don't have any Steranko scanned. :sorry:

I respect your opinion, good sir. Kirby, if nothing else, is steady and consistent. He was the most prolific penciller of the Silver Age, and his work helped build the foundation of the Marvel universe as we know it. He seemed to rise to the occasion, saving his best work for some of Marvel's most key issues. When Stan Lee needed a big cover he knew who he could count on. Fantastic Four #5 and Avengers #1 come to mind. Avengers #4, Fantastic Four #48, and JIM #89 ain't bad either. He has some brilliant pre-hero covers as well.

Bottom line, we all have our preferences. There is no right or wrong answer, but it's hard to imagine things could have worked out any better if those early SA Marvel books were drawn by anyone other than the King himself.

No LB Cole, Alex Schomburg or Jim Steranko? Lots of good ones, but Kirby and Adams in a class by themselves IMHO.

Would've gladly added them, ...but I didn't wanna push my luck! lol

Schomburg...

8ddb6d72-84dc-4054-9366-43b7e0b7514f_zps97696c06.jpg

LB Cole...

d3ddb93e-dab5-403c-b3bc-97bd7f99791a_zpsc1ff0800.jpg

Sorry, I don't have any Steranko scanned. :sorry:

Great covers, bud. Schomburg's work is so detailed. It's as if every cover and panel is the Sistine Chapel. You can tell it wasn't just work for him. He was conscientious of the fact he was creating art.