• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FYI - Best Artists Ever... Ever
2 2

261 posts in this topic

The mathematician in me would like to create a sensible equation to decide on the best artist in the history of comics.

Some of the factors would have to be--

1. Longevity in the field - quantitative

2. Awards - political

3. # of Comics Sold - luck see #6

4. # of single issues sold - luck/politics

5. Innovations OK

6. Popularity among editors - butt kissers

7. Influence on other professional artists OK

There are other factors of course. But a factor would never be, "I really like this guy and I grew up with him".

I'll accept 5 & 7 under protest but my list of three was because I really liked those guys and grew up with them.

:sumo:

The mathematician in me would like to create a sensible equation to decide on the best artist in the history of comics.

1. Longevity in the field

2. Awards

3. # of Comics Sold

4. # of single issues sold

5. Innovations

6. Popularity among editors

7. Influence on other professional artists

There are other factors of course. But a factor would never be, "I really like this guy and I grew up with him".

By these criterion Curt Swan and Jack Kirby no question

2. Awards

3. # of Comics Sold

5. Innovations

But not Will Eisner. As far as I know he never won that industry award. What's it called again?

Eisner was too stiff and cartoony for my tastes.

Be that as it may his layouts were revolutionary and had a huge influence on the industry.

EDIT: And going on the criterion he would probably top the list.

Edited by thunsicker

2. Awards

3. # of Comics Sold

5. Innovations

But not Will Eisner. As far as I know he never won that industry award. What's it called again?

Nah, he didn't win *that* award. He had already won so many, including multiple NCS Comic Book awards in the 60's (and 80's), the coveted Reuben Award, and the ACBA Hall of Fame award in '71. I'm certain there are several other awards Eisner has won, but I'll leave that to others.

For 12 glorious ground breaking issues Dave Gibbons!

Amazing what he did with Alan Moore.

9782809406412_1.jpg

watchmen1.gif

I thought the art was just average on this series.

To me it`s like the films Casablanca or Citizen Kane. The more I look at it, the more I appreciate it.

Like good wine, Watchmen gets better with age. :cloud9:

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

BOOM

McFarlane Byrne

Kieth Kirby

Silvestri

Liefeld Miller

Lee Kane

Larsen Adams

Valentino

Keown & Kubert

Ottley Frazzetta

Jenkins Wrightson

Dragotta Perez

Now you know and knowing is half the battle.

Fixed it. :preach:

+1 I agree with this list.

Fixed

Fixed again.

Frank Quitely for pretty much awesome innovations. His panel work often becomes more important than the actual art he fills them with. I think we are all familiar with his awesome work on We3 (and if you are not, fix that asap)

For my favourite, overall career, would still be John Romita jr. I grew up with his work on Iron Man (Armor Wars 2 features some of my favourite work by him at the time) and while he is a little less consistent in recent years his work on Avengers #1-6 (Heroic Age) and The Eternals mini-series was perfection :)

2. Awards

3. # of Comics Sold

5. Innovations

Nah, he didn't win *that* award. He had already won so many, including multiple NCS Comic Book awards in the 60's (and 80's), the coveted Reuben Award, and the ACBA Hall of Fame award in '71. I'm certain there are several other awards Eisner has won, but I'll leave that to others.

Eisner has been recognized for his work with the National Cartoonists Society Comic Book Award for 1967, 1968, 1969, 1987 and 1988, as well as its Story Comic Book Award in 1979, and its Reuben Award in 1998.

He was inducted into the Academy of Comic Book Arts Hall of Fame in 1971, and the Jack Kirby Hall of Fame in 1987. The following year, the Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards were established in his honor.

He received in 1975 the second Grand Prix de la ville d'Angoulême.

With Jack Kirby, Robert Crumb, Harvey Kurtzman, Gary Panter, and Chris Ware, Eisner was among the artists honored in the exhibition "Masters of American Comics" at the Jewish Museum in New York City, from September 16, 2006 to January 28, 2007.

On the 94th anniversary of Eisner's birth, in 2011, Google used an image featuring the Spirit as its logo.

2. Awards

3. # of Comics Sold

5. Innovations

Eisner has been recognized for his work with the National Cartoonists Society Comic Book Award for 1967, 1968, 1969, 1987 and 1988, as well as its Story Comic Book Award in 1979, and its Reuben Award in 1998.

He was inducted into the Academy of Comic Book Arts Hall of Fame in 1971, and the Jack Kirby Hall of Fame in 1987. The following year, the Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards were established in his honor.

He received in 1975 the second Grand Prix de la ville d'Angoulême.

With Jack Kirby, Robert Crumb, Harvey Kurtzman, Gary Panter, and Chris Ware, Eisner was among the artists honored in the exhibition "Masters of American Comics" at the Jewish Museum in New York City, from September 16, 2006 to January 28, 2007.

On the 94th anniversary of Eisner's birth, in 2011, Google used an image featuring the Spirit as its logo.

Thanks for filling the gaps of my memory with this information (thumbs u

you can really see the age difference amongst posters by their choice of artists.

Eisner, Foster, Caniff, Cole, Raymond... they had proper artists back in those days. :preach:

Thank you.

I kept wondering if anyone was going mention Alex Raymond, who has to be one of the most influential artists of "Ever...Ever", according to many of the artists making the list.

Yes - Raymond and Foster :cloud9:

Hal Foster's work is breathtaking.

I know there have been polls here in the past who the top artists are. I'm not adept enough to search for and pull up old posts. However, it would be interesting if a new poll was taken to see who are considered the top artists now. I'm sure there would be changes to the list.

Edited by jaeldubyoo

Top 10 voted in 2010 on CBR .

10 Alex Ross – 822 points (21 first place votes)

9 John Romita Jr. – 846 points (13 first place votes)

8 Frank Miller – 897 points (10 first place votes)

7 John Byrne – 1029 points (11 first place votes)

6 Jim Lee – 1270 points (40 first place votes)

5 Neal Adams – 1296 points (31 first place votes)

4 George Perez – 1877 points (63 first place votes)

3 J.H. Williams III – 1945 points (50 first place votes)

2 Frank Quitely – 2052 points (51 first place votes)

1 Jack Kirby – 2521 points (112 first place votes)

Eisner was too stiff and cartoony for my tastes.
When I was a kid I had a Kitchen Sink catalog, and The Spirit was advertised alongside their modern stuff. I didn't even know The Spirit wasn't a modern comic. He was THAT far ahead of the game. Compare it to Action #1 or Tec 27. In fact, compare it to Avengers #1 or Amazing Fantasy #15. It's STILL ahead of the curve. I don't think we had anything on that level until the 1970's. Edited by dupont2005

Top 10 voted in 2010 on CBR .

10 Alex Ross – 822 points (21 first place votes)

9 John Romita Jr. – 846 points (13 first place votes)

8 Frank Miller – 897 points (10 first place votes)

7 John Byrne – 1029 points (11 first place votes)

6 Jim Lee – 1270 points (40 first place votes)

5 Neal Adams – 1296 points (31 first place votes)

4 George Perez – 1877 points (63 first place votes)

3 J.H. Williams III – 1945 points (50 first place votes)

2 Frank Quitely – 2052 points (51 first place votes)

1 Jack Kirby – 2521 points (112 first place votes)

Take it with a grain of salt. Asking CBR who the best illustrators are is like asking MTV viewers who the greatest musicians are. T-Pain and Justin Beiber are sure to make the list.

Apparently, according to CBR, in order to be a good artist you HAVE to draw super heroes.

Edited by dupont2005