• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FYI - Best Artists Ever... Ever
2 2

261 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, NP_Gresham said:

For me it is Frank Frazetta 

Game over

^^  I'm sure Daveman agrees!

Edited by kav

22 hours ago, 427Impaler said:

For pure artistic magic;  Frazetta

For unmistakable stylistic imagery;

Wood

Eisner

LB Cole

Baker

Corben

Wrightson

Adams

Davis

Feldstein

Fine

Likely obvious based on this list - I’m old:preach:

This is a good list...Wood, Cole, Frazetta, Wrightson & Adams are all on my list as well as Bailey ( as you can see my art knowledge is limited to the comic-y lol )

Frazetta is by a long shot THE best 

Wrightson- how can you not love his work

Neal Adams- The quintessential Batman artist

Mike Mignola- His art just does it for me

Boris Vallejo- how can you not love his art

Sanjulian- just awesome

You can tell my preference lies in horror, but really they are the best.

1 hour ago, oakman29 said:

Frazetta is by a long shot THE best 

Wrightson- how can you not love his work

Neal Adams- The quintessential Batman artist

Mike Mignola- His art just does it for me

Boris Vallejo- how can you not love his art

Sanjulian- just awesome

You can tell my preference lies in horror, but really they are the best.

can you squeeze poor Curt Swan in there somewhere?

7 hours ago, WayToGo said:

They don't even make my Top 5 EC artist list, nevermind all-time :whistle:

Some guys knew how to illustrate a great panel.  Kurtzman and Krigstein knew how to compose a great page.

Since we're picking great comic (or sequential art) artists, not great illustrators, I don't know how you can leave them off such a list.  

For example, the final page of Impact 1 is one of the most influential pages of comic art ever drawn.  Corpse on the Imjin is a masterpiece.

image.jpeg.73abba1636c20530d864f04b85d0d744.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by sfcityduck

4 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Some guys knew how to illustrate a great panel.  Kurtzman and Krigstein knew how to compose a great page.

Since we're picking great comic (or sequential art) artists, not great illustrators, I don't know how you can leave them off such a list.  

For example, the final page of Impact 3 is one of the most influential pages of comic art ever drawn.  Corpse on the Imjin is a masterpiece.

image.jpeg.73abba1636c20530d864f04b85d0d744.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I cant make it out it looks like Rorshach?  great panelling.

48 minutes ago, kav said:

I'm hoping that your comment is a jest.  Krigstein is the inspiration for Steranko, Miller, and, yes, Gibbons, amongst many many others. 

When I pointed out that one can see parallels between the climax of “Master Race” and the Bruce Wayne origin sequence [in The Dark Knight Returns, Frank] Miller cut us off. ‘Oh, it’s not a parallel,’ he said with a little chuckle. ‘He came first and I imitated him.’”

http://www.vulture.com/2018/04/frank-miller-talks-bernard-krigstein-dark-knight-inspiration.html

Heritage's write up for the OA on sale in November:

Bernie Krigstein Impact #1 Complete 8-Page Story "Master Race" Original Art (EC, 1955). Not only is this perhaps the most famous EC story of all time, it is by any definition one of the most influential, analyzed, and critically acclaimed stories ever to appear in a comic book! Frequently called the "Citizen Kane" of comic books, the hard-hitting, poignant story "Master Race" was co-plotted by Bill Gaines with writer Al Feldstein. It is a powerful look at the effects of Nazi concentration camp atrocities upon those who survived them. And it still manages to have that traditional "EC twist" to it.

But the astounding artwork is the main claim to fame, with Krigstein's absolutely jaw-dropping formal invention serving as a template for both mainstream and underground cartoonists for many decades to come. It's not hard at all to see how it could have influenced later comic storytelling: for instance, Dave Gibbon's Watchmen in 1986. Gibbon's page layout often used a technique of mirroring previous panels and layouts from one page to another. In this story, Krigstein was using the technique a full 30 years earlier. Compare the last panel of Page 1 to Panel 11 on Page 8. Compare Panel 7 of Page 2 to the last panel of the story. Brilliant layouts with wonderful pacing combine with the powerful story for a high-water mark for EC comics.

This is the virtuoso Krigstein's tour-de-force, demonstrating everything he dreamed the comic language capable of as an art form, and it's been the subject of numerous studies in books on the history of comics as well as a hugely influential analysis by John Benson, David Kasakove, and Art Spiegelman in famed fanzine Squa Tront #6, which was devoted to the artist (Spiegelman also wrote a later appreciation of Krigstein, specifically highlighting this story, for the New Yorker).

Bigger picture:

1955-impact-comics-1.nocrop.w710.h2147483647.jpg

Edited by sfcityduck

1 minute ago, sfcityduck said:
16 minutes ago, kav said:

I'm hoping that your comment is a jest.  Krigstein's is the inspiration for Steranko, Miller, and, yes, Gibbons, amongst many many others. 

No I just never heard of Krigstein.  So that dude does look like rorshach right?  I had thought Charlton's The Question was the inspiration for him.

Question-Charlton-Comics-Ditko-c.jpg

32 minutes ago, kav said:

No I just never heard of Krigstein.  So that dude does look like rorshach right?  I had thought Charlton's The Question was the inspiration for him.

Now I'm going with cynical sarcasm, not appalling ignorance.

1 minute ago, sfcityduck said:

Now I'm going with cynical sarcasm, not appalling ignorance.

Just because I never heard of krigstein?  Have you ever heard of dennis worden or sophie campbell?  Not every person has heard of every artist.