• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blade Runner 2 on the way care of Ridley Scott
2 2

460 posts in this topic

Fans of the Blade Runner movie, did you know that the movie Soldier (1998) with Kurt Russel, takes place in the same shared universe, as does the Alien series (as mentioned "Eldon Tyrell" in Prometheus). Blade Runner and Blade Runner 2049, Soldier, Prometheus, Alien: Covenant, Alien, Aliens (there was a 2013 video game called Aliens: Colonial Marines that was a sequel to Aliens, but doesn't fit with the continuity of the series), Alien 3, Aliens Resurrection (also there's a 2014 video game called Alien: Isolation that's story revolved around Ripley's daughter Amanda). Also, the AVP series brought in the Predator series into that shared universe (but not the same continuity). The Predator (prequel coming 2018), Predator, Predator 2, Predators, Alien vs. Predator,and Alien vs. Predator: Requiem. That's a lot of marathon viewing...

@jsilverjanet   great trivia! Wonder if Eldon is a replicant.

Saw it last night. It was a great and looong film. I recommend to either watch or even re-watch the original,

as a lot of the material in the film is strongly dependent on knowledge of the first.

46 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

Fans of the Blade Runner movie, did you know that the movie Soldier (1998) with Kurt Russel, takes place in the same shared universe, as does the Alien series (as mentioned "Eldon Tyrell" in Prometheus). Blade Runner and Blade Runner 2049, Soldier, Prometheus, Alien: Covenant, Alien, Aliens (there was a 2013 video game called Aliens: Colonial Marines that was a sequel to Aliens, but doesn't fit with the continuity of the series), Alien 3, Aliens Resurrection (also there's a 2014 video game called Alien: Isolation that's story revolved around Ripley's daughter Amanda). Also, the AVP series brought in the Predator series into that shared universe (but not the same continuity). The Predator (prequel coming 2018), Predator, Predator 2, Predators, Alien vs. Predator,and Alien vs. Predator: Requiem. That's a lot of marathon viewing...

Yes, that's some amazing trivia we happened to post at nearly the same time.  Are you a replicant?

10 minutes ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Hmm, I thought there was a ship in BR:2049 that looked like one of the cargo vessels from Aliens hovering above the cityscape, but had never heard anything about a shared universe.

But I have heard about the 'Soldier' connection before. Love that movie! And it is definitely worth more than one repeat watch.

2 hours ago, 50 Cent #II (1st) said:

Fans of the Blade Runner movie, did you know that the movie Soldier (1998) with Kurt Russel, takes place in the same shared universe, as does the Alien series (as mentioned "Eldon Tyrell" in Prometheus). Blade Runner,  Blade Runner (1997 "sidequel" video game that tells a parallel story of rookie blade runner Ray McCoy that intersects with the original film), Blade Runner 2049, Soldier, Prometheus, Alien: Covenant, Alien, Aliens (there was a 2013 video game called Aliens: Colonial Marines that was a sequel to Aliens, but doesn't fit with the continuity of the series), Alien 3, Alien Resurrection (also there's a 2014 video game called Alien: Isolation that's story revolved around Ripley's daughter Amanda). Also, the AVP series brought in the Predator series into that shared universe (but not the same continuity). The Predator (prequel coming 2018), Predator, Predator 2, Predators, Alien vs. Predator,and Alien vs. Predator: Requiem. That's a lot of marathon viewing...

Although probably not deep enough for some, 'Soldier' is entertaining for what you get. An action movie with Kurt Russell as a groomed-from-birth, seasoned soldier. So his perception of life is based on from birth never knowing anything else but this alternate view on life. I can see how some couldn't comprehend how that would impact an individual.

But now I see why the link:

Soldier was written by David Peoples, who co-wrote the -script for Blade Runner. Peoples considers Soldier to be a "spin-off sidequel"-spiritual successor to Blade Runner, seeing both films as existing in a shared fictional universe. The film obliquely refers to various elements of stories written by Philip K. (who wrote the novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, on which Blade Runner is based), or film adaptations thereof. A Spinner from Blade Runner can be seen in the wreckage on a junk planet in the film.

I never caught that before.

I had high hopes but the first half didn't work for me and it wasn't until the second half that it took off and there's good reasons for that.  Sometimes you just can't go back.

Edited by The Black Hand ®
harump!

Having seen this last night I felt compelled to post.

It is one of those very rare beasts - a sequel that nestles into the original, giving it the utmost respect and a few hat-tips, and morphs into new and wonderful direction.

I can't say anything about the story - so this is spoiler free.

To get the most out of this film:

1) Catch up on the main details of the original

2) AVOID ALL REVIEWS AND SPOILERS

3) Watch it on the biggest cinema screen you can find - the visuals are breathtaking at times

It's simply one of the greatest films I have ever seen

Magnificent

10/10

5 hours ago, The Black Hand ® said:

I had high hopes but the first half didn't work for me and it wasn't until the second half that it took off.

8/10. Old Man 'Logan', the last Wolverine and X-23 'western' movie was better for drama and tight editing: 10/10. Bladerunner 2049 was long but needed to be with all the colors and world building that astounded me. Jared Leto is a freaky actor/villian.  I am sure there will be a 2049 Director's Cut, as the ending was quite abrupt.

1 hour ago, aardvark88 said:

8/10. Old Man 'Logan', the last Wolverine and X-23 'western' movie was better for drama and tight editing: 10/10. Bladerunner 2049 was long but needed to be with all the colors and world building that astounded me. Jared Leto is a freaky actor/villian.  I am sure there will be a 2049 Director's Cut, as the ending was quite abrupt.

Nope the ending is spot on and the right spot for a sequel.

10 hours ago, Beige said:

Having seen this last night I felt compelled to post.

It is one of those very rare beasts - a sequel that nestles into the original, giving it the utmost respect and a few hat-tips, and morphs into new and wonderful direction.

Totally agree, well said. 

20 minutes ago, paperheart said:

tanking at BO.  oh well, it'll get my $10

I hadn't heard this, but it did est. over $12M on Friday and is expected to do $50M+ this long weekend seems to be more than on track?  http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/

Edited by 50 Cent #II (1st)