• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blade Runner 2 on the way care of Ridley Scott
2 2

460 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Wasn't this the point the movie was trying to stress (both movies, really), where they're building an underground movement to prove they're humans, not machines, and shouldn't be treated as slaves?

As far as Deckard being a replicant, without diverting the discussion from 2049 too much, it was definitely open to interpretation. I had never even heard this theory until maybe 10 or so years back when I ran across it on the old Bladezone forums and it just seemed preposterous to me. I believe both Ford and Hampton Fancher who wrote the bulk of the screenplay later said he was not. Ridley seems to have peppered, maybe even forced, some ambiguity into it at some point and the Final Cut has even more of these hints. For my part, I think it's a terrible idea to have him be a replicant. I think it's at odds with the conclusion of the movie. The point, and really part of the beauty, of the movie is that by the end both humans and replicants begin to shed their fears/biases and appreciate each other in some way (Deckard protecting and running off with Rachel, Roy saving Deckard in his dying moments). If they're all replicants saving replicants, it's not dynamic, profound or meaningful -- of course they would save each other. I think the unicorn dream is such a stretch anyway. Just seems to me like an attempt to introduce some forced twist that is unnecessary and was not originally intended.

Yeah I agree with your replicant and synthetic. As I see this now you have 3 races of humans and whoever gets the key determines the outcome of humanity.

Yeah after the first film I always thought it was up for the viewer to interpret whether he was a replicant or human. I always thought he was a human myself.

My best guess was the bees were a part of someone's effort to re-vegetate the area by encouraging them to pollinate.  But bees eat nectar converted from pollen, and I saw no vegetation, so I have no idea how the bees would survive out there.

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 9:55 PM, reddwarf666222 said:

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 11:29 AM, 50 Cent #II (1st) said:

I hadn't heard this, but it did est. over $12M on Friday and is expected to do $50M+ this long weekend seems to be more than on track?  http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/

Yeah a lot of states don't celebrate Columbus Day so a lot of schools are in. The 32 to 36 million seems on track. 

Lets just say the studio was dumb to spend 150 million on a sequel that is 35 years removed from the original. Add in the first film was a flop that achieved cult status. Just seemed to die. So that means a limited audience saw the film and knows about the film.

Sony did a bad job marketing the film. Hopefully word of mouth and good reviews will make the drop off next week slow. 

I honestly think the sequel was better than the original and easier for an audience to follow. 

This films best hope domestically to make money is to get nominated for a bunch of Oscars and get a rerelease in January. Which is is a possibility.

I agree I never understood why this sequel was made. Its been way too long and most kids don't have a clue what this movie was about and wont care either.

43 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

I'm impressed that since the film's release, most of the discussion here has been about the plot rather than the box office.

Good job, gents!

It all boils down to that in the long run really.

How many of 1982's movies can you admit you still watch that made money.

E.T., Cat People, Star Trek II, Poltergeist, 48 HRS. or Rocky III (I never watched it)?

Really drawing a blank on that year.

Take The Thing and Blade Runner, box-office bombs that can be watched multiple times through the decades because of their timeless filmmaking. (thumbsu 

2 hours ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

It all boils down to that in the long run really.

E.T., Cat People, Star Trek II, Poltergeist, 48 HRS. or Rocky III (I never watched it)?

Really drawing a blank on that year.

Take The Thing and Blade Runner, box-office bombs that can be watched multiple times through the decades because of their timeless filmmaking. (thumbsu 

I’ve definitely rewatched ET, Star Trek II, and Rocky III.  

3 minutes ago, nearmint said:

I’ve definitely rewatched ET, Star Trek II, and Rocky III.  

Those were the major ones to my immediate memory.

I should be walloped for forgetting First Blood, Conan and Tootsie, aside from Tron, Ghandi, Star Trek II and Poltergeist . I kept thinking Porky's came out in 1981, like The Road Warrior. 

This time of the year, I'm sure some folks still watch Friday The 13th Part 3 and to even lesser-lesser extent, Halloween III: The Season of the Witch. lol 

My only point was, imho, Blade Runner and The Thing, made no money, yet I consider them classics anyway and are still watched frequently by myself and most likely other more than the bigger money makers of the time. :) 

#mylovedontcostathing

#silvershamrock

17 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

I'm impressed that since the film's release, most of the discussion here has been about the plot rather than the box office.

Good job, gents!

It's just another topic associated with movies, like what actors, directors or studios are tied to a production. Just like discussions about Rotten Tomatoes, Metracritic and others success trackers are brought up.

I'm just impressed there haven't been those deadset against a sequel trying to shut the thread down whenever any positives are posted. That approach in the past has been sad to witness.

I'm off to see it tomorrow. I've avoided this thread so I can approach it fresh. BR is one of my all times favourites so I'm hoping it lives up to my expectations. In the meantime, some stuff relating to the old one I found while looking for Spidey scans :headbang:

br1 (2).jpg

br2 (2).jpg

br4 (2).jpg

br5.jpg

20150110_125405.jpg

20150110_170339.jpg

20150111_135931.jpg

I really liked BR49. My buddy thought it was overlong but I enjoyed the ride. 

In Blade Runner the unicorn dream sequence was leftover footage from Legend that Ridley tacked on. I'm firmly in the Deckard is human camp. 

Edited by Juno Beach
add

On 10/14/2017 at 4:07 PM, NewEnglandGothic said:

Compared 1992,2002 and 2012 yes. Movies from the 1980s just seem like the last decade for multiple rewatchable movies for some reason.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

On 10/14/2017 at 3:19 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Good job, gents!

Well, that's because it had disappointing results at the box office. If it did great we all be here tooting its horn about the box office. No one wants to dog this movie as it was very good with 88 % on Rotten Tomatoes,but for some reason like War for the Planet of the Apes which also scored high it didn't do that good at the box office.

Another Sci-Fi movie that underperformed at the box office.

The modern audience continues to be fickle.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Scan.thumb.jpg.17a883c14df317214808d59fe53ba471.jpg

Just me today, which is how it was in 1982, and how it has been most times since.  The walk to the cinema was ridiculously sunny and warm. 3 hours or so later and an equally ridiculous, nay portentous grey/yellow sky accompanies me on the way back, courtesy of storm Ophelia. Fitting, and almost as if someone is trying to tell you something.

The trailers for Thor and Justice League looked fleetingly superb. I look forward to them.

As for the film itself, 06-10-21 sent a shiver down the neck, continuing my bizarre number affinity with this characters creation (Kindred that is). Some things mean something to you for reasons it's difficult to put into words. So I won't try, as failure can be disappointing when it means everything.

Two chaps of a certain age and me were the only ones who stayed to the end of the credits. "Like it?", I asked. "Marvellous" they said. I nodded my agreement and muttered something about the mood being right. I saw them again by the escalators on the way out, giving a further short nod to two 'Kindred' spirits. And then off to Argos, to pick up a replacement for that lamp I broke in the front room, pondering as I went whether the empty soul is indeed more human than human....

55 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

Scan.thumb.jpg.17a883c14df317214808d59fe53ba471.jpg

Just me today, which is how it was in 1982, and how it has been most times since.  The walk to the cinema was ridiculously sunny and warm. 3 hours or so later and an equally ridiculous, nay portentous grey/yellow sky accompanies me on the way back, courtesy of storm Ophelia. Fitting, and almost as if someone is trying to tell you something.

The trailers for Thor and Justice League looked fleetingly superb. I look forward to them.

As for the film itself, 06-10-21 sent a shiver down the neck, continuing my bizarre number affinity with this characters creation (Kindred that is). Some things mean something to you for reasons it's difficult to put into words. So I won't try, as failure can be disappointing when it means everything.

Two chaps of a certain age and me were the only ones who stayed to the end of the credits. "Like it?", I asked. "Marvellous" they said. I nodded my agreement and muttered something about the mood being right. I saw them again by the escalators on the way out, giving a further short nod to two 'Kindred' spirits. And then off to Argos, to pick up a replacement for that lamp I broke in the front room, pondering as I went whether the empty soul is indeed more human than human....

Glad you liked it! (thumbsu I'm definitely ready to go back to experience it in 3D!