• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blade Runner 2 on the way care of Ridley Scott
2 2

460 posts in this topic

finally saw this today. I agree it was maybe about 15 min too long but it's so beautifully shot that I didn't mind. I liked the movie. My only issue is with Gosling. I feel like as an actor hes the same guy in each one. man of few words. I think it's a good companion to the first and just like the first it's not for everyone.

21 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

finally saw this today. I agree it was maybe about 15 min too long but it's so beautifully shot that I didn't mind. I liked the movie. My only issue is with Gosling. I feel like as an actor hes the same guy in each one. man of few words. I think it's a good companion to the first and just like the first it's not for everyone.

Image result for blade runner 2048 gif

On December 29, 2017 at 12:49 PM, Aweandlorder said:

I wish that the story had a deeper more emotional level than simply trying to figure out if Deckard is human or not and if it's possible for replicants to breed.

what did you guys take from it other than the cool story?

It's been a while since I've seen it even though I had planned on revisiting it in the theater, so it's a bit hard for me to get too deep into the philosophy, but I felt one point it expanded on more was the idea of inclusion in society as the replicants were essentially fighting for the right to be recognized as living beings (echoing Batty's "we're not machines" line to Sebastian). Maybe if you guys are still catching it in the theater I need to seek one out -- I checked last week and didn't see any listings.

Ridley Scott Says He Has an Idea for a Third ‘Blade Runner’ Movie

All of this has thrown the question of a third Blade Runner movie into tumult, but there’s one person who is already prepared for the third movie, namely Ridley Scott. During a recent interview with Digital Spy about his latest movie, the troubled All the Money in the World, Scott said that he has an idea for another sequel set in the world of Blade Runner that he is ready to develop for Warner Bros. at a moment’s notice. Here’s what he said to Digital Spy about the possibility of another Blade Runner movie being made:

“I hope so, I think there is another story. I’ve got another one ready to evolve and be developed, so there is certainly one to be done for sure.”

On one hand, I’m sure Scott does have an idea for the third movie. The man does not want for -script ideas, even if many of those very concepts come out half-baked and politically timid. On the other hand, this all stinks of peacocking. Scott has been tooting his own horn quite a lot as of late. He had one of the funniest quotes of 2017 when he called himself “too dangerous” for a Star Wars movie. (That’s right. The man behind A Good Year, Matchstick Men, and likely an upcoming Disney movie about Merlin thinks he’s David Cronenberg.) And though he’s not wrong in criticizing the length of Blade Runner 2049, it’s also a weak and safe analytical argument when there are plenty of bigger issues with Villeneuve’s movie.

This quote strikes me as Scott’s way of extending an olive branch to Warner Bros., to say that if they want to move ahead with a third film, he’s both the natural choice and already prepared to get to work despite having a number of projects currently in limbo.

Just watched it at home. The run time was good with me. If it was any shorter I would be whining for an extended cut. Anyway, I loved the film. Fantastic sequel/companion to the original. I did not want another Harrison Ford return like in the last Indiana Jones or Star Wars which was hokey and gimmicky. He pulls it off in Blade Runner with the build up to find him and his limited screen time.  Powerful soundtrack as well that really compliments the scenes showing the world of BR. 

2 hours ago, Reader said:

Just watched it at home. The run time was good with me. If it was any shorter I would be whining for an extended cut. Anyway, I loved the film. Fantastic sequel/companion to the original. I did not want another Harrison Ford return like in the last Indiana Jones or Star Wars which was hokey and gimmicky. He pulls it off in Blade Runner with the build up to find him and his limited screen time.  Powerful soundtrack as well that really compliments the scenes showing the world of BR. 

one of the best parts in this movie is how well the director made this world seems realistic and comparable to the world 30+ years earlier. sometimes with sequels with this big of a gap in time (from the first movie to the second) the technology of the film is outdated or not comparable from one film to another, here you feel like this is the same world, the same technology etc

I finally wound up watching this last night. I know it got stellar reviews, but I was such a HUGE fan of the original film that I was worried this film would change my overall opinion of the original film and more importantly, my opinions on certain aspects of the original film like wether Deckard was really a replicant or not. All I can say is that I am very thankful I finally decided to watch it as IMO this is easily one of the best science fiction films I have ever seen. Ryan Gossling was just a perfect fit for his character and Harrison Ford puts in another amazing performance as Deckard.  If anything, this film took my favorite aspects of the original Blade Runner and really built on them and made them even better. It had an absolutely brilliant story, an absolutely stellar score, mind blowing special effects, and everyone gave just amazing performances. The director of photography was just beyond brilliant (should win the Oscar IMO). This was easily one of the most visually stunning films I have ever seen.

I honestly thought this was just going to be yet another attempt by Hollywood to cash in on a sequel for a popular film. I have no problem admitting when I am wrong and boy was I wrong on this one. This was easily one of the best sequels I have ever seen. I put it right up there with Godfather 2, Aliens, Captain America: Winter Soldier, etc. I don't buy many Blu Ray/DVD's anymore. I think I have purchased like 15 in the last 5 years and half of those were documentaries like the new Cosmos and new releases from Spacecraft films, but I will definitely be buying this film in 4k Blu Ray when available. 

Just saw it last night. Beyond impressed! What i always loved about the first film was how real it felt. It was an expansive universe that just felt like it was a camera walking through a nightmare version of "80s fear" defined Los Angeles. This movie hit that mark beautifully. I don't know much about Denis Villenueve but wow the man had a vision he wanted to achieve and he did so going away.  It did the hardest trick in the world when it comes to movies, it made the universe physically expansive and massive but made the personal space and interactions intimate and borderline claustrophobic. Space is at a premium in this world unless you are willing to live in the dying sick parts of the world, or you are rich like the Leto Character. Even going outside the characters were shoulder deep and jammed into every corner. The world allowed for what seemingly was millions of corners and cubbyholes where "the ragged people go", miles of small secret places that felt real and dirty at the same time. It was just perfect.

I also think something has to be said about Ryan Goslings performance. Yeah he strikes similar chords in many movies, but its really hard to act and convey a character with fewer spoken words and very sparse movements.

Spoiler

Replicants had small movements and few words. Humans had overwhelming words and made large physical gestures, it felt intentional and I think gave the characters a great way to define themselves based on which side of the fence they were on. Ryan as a replicant I think defined that perfectly, it was very well done in this case. He might go to this well often, but its not only hard to do generally it was very appropriate for this character.

This was the film of the year to me. Honestly not to bring it back to Star Wars, but this is the universe I wanted to see in these new movies. ANH and ESB gave us glimpses into other worlds and ways of life that I think felt alien and distant. BR2049 does that as well, I would like to see that sort of darker at times dirty broken world show up in the final of the series (the way Rogue One did it).

Anyway, great movie. Id love to see this to become a trilogy.

Edited by zhamlau

On 1/7/2018 at 3:58 PM, bane said:

After the utter mess that was Alien Covenant Scott should think about retirement.

Plus I'm pretty sure everything there was to like in Prometheus is attributable to Damon Lindelof and everything there was to hate is attributable to Ridley.  He's a great visual storyteller, but his ability to realize when a screenplay sucks is weak.  But he's your guy when the source material is stellar as was the case with the original Blade Runner, Alien, The Martian, and American Gangster.

Edited by fantastic_four

The art direction knocked it out of the park on this one. Great sound also. Can't wait to watch this one on UHD. (Although like the original, very slow at times.) A flawed masterpiece.

I really enjoyed this movie.

Ryan Gosling continues his string a great movies (La La Land, The Nice Guys, etc.)

Like "Morgan," a Blade Runner Jr. directed by Ridley's son, it was very estrogen-driven with a cast of strong actresses.

I just thought the climax in the water was slightly a washout and lacked the stunning visuals of the original as Batty discombobulated Dekkard as he brutalized him.  There were echoes of humanity in the actress (Sylvia Hoeks) who played the villainess, I was surprised they weren't further "fleshed" out for her character's arc.  It also seemed Mackenzie Davis's stuff was left on the cutting room floor as well, as some scenes indicated being more important to the plot.  Ana De Armas was flat out wonderful (her only work I ever saw was some Fast & Furious clone ("Overdrive.")  Not to mention another new actor in a poignant performance that turned into a major hidden plot point.

Harrison, as always, fit back into a signature role with ever so ease.  Loved the cameo by Edward James Olmos too (a zen-like bad- in the original.) 

***1/2 out of four stars!

17 hours ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

I really enjoyed this movie.

Ryan Gosling continues his string a great movies (La La Land, The Nice Guys, etc.)

Like "Morgan," a Blade Runner Jr. directed by Ridley's son, it was very estrogen-driven with a cast of strong actresses.

I just thought the climax in the water was slightly a washout and lacked the stunning visuals of the original as Batty discombobulated Dekkard as he brutalized him.  There were echoes of humanity in the actress (Sylvia Hoeks) who played the villainess, I was surprised they weren't further "fleshed" out for her character's arc.  It also seemed Mackenzie Davis's stuff was left on the cutting room floor as well, as some scenes indicated being more important to the plot.  Ana De Armas was flat out wonderful (her only work I ever saw was some Fast & Furious clone ("Overdrive.")  Not to mention another new actor in a poignant performance that turned into a major hidden plot point.

Harrison, as always, fit back into a signature role with ever so ease.  Loved the cameo by Edward James Olmos too (a zen-like bad- in the original.) 

***1/2 out of four stars!

"It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does?"

Image result for edward james olmos blade runner gif

ASC Awards: ‘Blade Runner 2049’ Wins For Theatrical

The American Society of Cinematographers celebrated their 32nd annual ASC Awards and Blade Runner 2049 walked away with the marquee Theatrical Picture Prize while Netflix’s The Crown, Genius, and 12 Monkeys won on top TV honors.

Blade Runner 2049 winning the theatrical trophy puts it ahead in the Oscar race. In the past 32 years, 13 ASC winners went on to receive the Academy Award for Best Cinematography. Lion won the ASC award last year, but La La Land ended up taking the Oscar. Only time will tell if Blade Runner 2049 will take the gold on March 4.

THEATRICAL RELEASE
Roger Deakins, ASC, BSC
Blade Runner 2049