• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blade Runner 2 on the way care of Ridley Scott
2 2

460 posts in this topic

You know, the more I thought about a Blade Runner sequel, the more I'm thinking it's a bad idea. I've always thought it ended well, with hope and a shade of doubt. It was like having a dream and you know your about to wake up and you are just trying to organize your thoughts into a proper denouement.

But then again, I thought Ridley's Alien didn't need a sequel and by going in another direction, it worked.

Yup. I watched The Final Cut again Friday and started to watch the 3 1/2 documentary during the weekend as well. Can safely say, this movie does not need a sequel in any shape or form. There is no way it could possibly stand up against the original and we are apt to get one like "The Two Jakes". Now there have been entertaining sequels that were spawned by classics years later, "Psycho II", but seriously, it's not that necessary to get one either.

I don't get the idea of making Deckard a replicant. In the original Philip K. Dick novel he definitely was not a replicant for a very good thematic reason--Dick wanted to contrast Deckard being less humanistic as a human than the replicants in the story were. If Deckard isn't human, then that moral contrast is replaced by a seemingly less-interesting one. ???

Here's a quote from Dick where he explicitly outlines his intent:

D[/color]ick]The purpose of this story as I saw it was that in his job of hunting and killing these replicants, Deckard becomes progressively dehumanized. At the same time, the replicants are being perceived as becoming more human. Finally, Deckard must question what he is doing, and really what is the essential difference between him and them? And, to take it one step further, who is he if there is no real difference?

Ryan Gosling Comments On Blade Runner 2

Gosling obviously can't say much, the actor told Total Film magazine that it's a "dream project" and more.

"With Blade Runner 2, first of all, I have to say that if say too much about it, I have a chip in my neck that will explode my head, so I have to be careful choosing my words... But it's a dream project. I'm such a huge fan of the original and then to work with Denis Villeneuve, who I'm a huge fan of as well, and Roger Deakins, and Harrison Ford, and Ridley Scott, on extending that story - and it is an extension of that story, it is a really intersting extension of that story and the world - is a dream. I'm very excted. The original's an incredible film, it's an amazing world, it's the reason so many people have borrowed from it, and it's exciting to actually be able to go into that world."

I don't get the idea of making Deckard a replicant. In the original Philip K. Dick novel he definitely was not a replicant for a very good thematic reason--Dick wanted to contrast Deckard being less humanistic as a human than the replicants in the story were. If Deckard isn't human, then that moral contrast is replaced by a seemingly less-interesting one. ???

Here's a quote from Dick where he explicitly outlines his intent:

D[/color]ick]The purpose of this story as I saw it was that in his job of hunting and killing these replicants, Deckard becomes progressively dehumanized. At the same time, the replicants are being perceived as becoming more human. Finally, Deckard must question what he is doing, and really what is the essential difference between him and them? And, to take it one step further, who is he if there is no real difference?

I think we have and most do view creators, even of adaptations, as artists themselves. It's not PKD's (who I love) film, it's Ridley Scott's. We've seen countless alterations to very well regarded source material, be it The Shining or Game of Thrones.

I think the only correct way to view it is that Deckard is not a replicant in PKD's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? but most likely is in Ridley Scott's Blade Runner.

As an aside, after The Martian, I think good Ridley Scott is back so I'm optimistic.

Blade Runner Sequel Starts Filming In July

The forthcoming follow-up to Ridley Scott's science-fiction masterpiece Blade Runner, which will bring back original actor Harrison Ford and pair him with Hollywood it-guy Ryan Gosling, will start filming in July.

“At Sony, we have made a strong commitment to the international marketplace,” Sony Pictures Chairman Tom Rothman said in a statement. “We know of few projects with greater international potential than the long dreamed of sequel to Blade Runner, especially given the all-star creative team Andrew and Broderick have assembled. We are deeply grateful to everyone at Alcon, Denis and Ridley for entrusting us with such a gift. Working on a Blade Runner film also fulfills a long-time personal ambition, as I deeply love and admire the original.”

Distributing a movie internationally is news?

(shrug)

Yup. I watched The Final Cut again Friday and started to watch the 3 1/2 documentary during the weekend as well. Can safely say, this movie does not need a sequel in any shape or form. There is no way it could possibly stand up against the original and we are apt to get one like "The Two Jakes". Now there have been entertaining sequels that were spawned by classics years later, "Psycho II", but seriously, it's not that necessary to get one either.

A reason for a new Bladerunner movie to be made is it will introduce many new fans to the Bladerunner universe. It will keep the franchise vibrant. Remember the original Bladerunner came out 35 plus years ago! Younger people will look at Bladerunner for the first time and old time fans will revisit the original movie. This Bladerunner sequel talk has created a good amount of new interest in Bladerunner.

Robin Wright In Talks to Join Blade Runner Sequel

The Blade Runner sequel, one of three of Harrison Ford's returns to roles he made famous thirty years ago, may have found one of three female leads, as Robin Wright is reportedly in final talks to take a role. Ford and Ryan Gosling have already signed onto the sequel, scheduled for a July shoot with director Denis Villeneuve.

Every role aside from Ford's, who is reprising his role as Rick Deckard from the 1982 film, is being held tightly secret. There are two other "major female roles" according to THR that have yet to be cast.

Dave Bautista Hints At Blade Runner 2 Casting

Guardians of the Galaxy and Spectre star, Dave Bautista, has posted a new photo that strongly hints that he has landed a role in the upcoming Blade Runner sequel.

The image features Bautista holding a silver, paper unicorn, and the caption reads, "I can't wait to share some really exciting news..."

bautistabladerunner-177144.jpg

With the backlash against dark movies, I'm not so sure a sequel (to a movie that did poorly with critics and film goers when it was at the theater) is going to do well. I cannot remember one funny scene in that first movie.

They need to look at the Marvel formula for making a movie. Throw in some wisecracks. Make a simple, linear story so the audience gets what is going on without having to think.

I smell bomb all over this one.

:grin:

:jokealert:

Well, this kills the mystery of "Is he or isn't he?".

:facepalm:

Blade Runner Sequel Will Explain How Deckard Is A Replicant

http://comicbook.com/2015/09/29/blade-runner-sequel-will-explain-how-deckard-is-a-replicant/

I recall this being answered by Ridley Scott in an interview back around 2000.

Didn't realize his origin was still in doubt.

Dave Bautista Confirmed For Blade Runner 2, But His Role's A Complete Mystery

Over the last couple months, Blade Runner 2 has recruited some notable names to its cast, but over the weekend, Dave Bautista cryptically hinted that he would be joining as well on his social media accounts. While that was but a tease, it’s officially confirmed that he’s been added to the sequel.

Warner Bros announced Bautista’s casting today, saying he would play an "important supporting role." However, the studio stopped short of identifying who his character is in Blade Runner 2, so we’ll have wait for another official announcement, assuming an outlet or publication doesn’t break the news ahead of time. Bautista will appear alongside Harrison Ford, Ryan Gosling and Robin Wright.

Blade Runner Sequel Keeps the Classic Logo

blade-runner-178736.jpg

Tonight at CinemaCon, Sony gave their audience a first look at the logo for their as-yet-untitled (?) Blade Runner sequel.

The image, which uses the classic Blade Runner logo, features the words "All of International" at the bottom, indicating Sony's interest in the film. Alcon will distribute Blade Runner in the U.S.

Denis Villeneuve will direct the follow-up to Ridley Scott's sci-fi masterpiece, starring Ryan Gosling, Dave Bautista, and Harrison Ford (reprising his role as Rick Deckard).

Blade Runner Sequel Release Date Moved Up Three Months

Warner Brothers and Alcon Entertainment's Blade Runner sequel, starring Ryan Gosling, Harrison Ford, Robin Wright, and Dave Bautista, will release on October 6, 2017, three months earlier than originally scheduled.

Originally, the sequel to Ridley Scott's 1982 film was set for release on January 12, 2018. It will be directed by Denis Villeneuve, who has won audiences over in recent years with efforts on Sicario and Prisoners. Principal photography is set to begin in July of 2016.

ana-de-armas-slice-600x200.png

‘Blade Runner 2’ Adds ‘Knock Knock’ Star Ana de Armas in Mystery Leading Role

Direct Denis Villeneuve‘s (Sicario) upcoming Blade Runner sequel has signed on it’s latest recruit, the international actress Ana de Armas (Knock Knock). As the latest addition to the cast, de Armas joins Harrison Ford, who returns in the iconic role of Richard Deckard, Ryan Gosling, who has been attached to the sci-fi sequel in an unknown lead since last year, and new recruits Robin Wright and Dave Bautista, both of whom are also taking on unknown roles. You might have guessed by this point, but details on de Armas role are also scant at present, though the press release does state she’s signed on in a “leading role”.

Alcon co-founders and co-CEO’s Andrew Kosove and Broderick Johnson, who announced de Armas’ casting, stated: “We think Ana is one of the most exciting, up-and-coming international actors in the world today, and we are thrilled she will be playing such an important part in this sequel.”

Dutch Actress Sylvia Hoeks Lands Leading Role in Blade Runner 2

foto_16279_sylvia-hoeks-en-theo-maassen-in-bros-before-hos.jpg

The second Blade Runner film, which will bring Harrison Ford together with Ryan Gosling, has cast Sylvia Hoeks in a leading female role, according to TheWrap.

“Sylvia is a radiant talent, a tremendous actress with great appeal in a wide variety of roles. Her addition to this vastly accomplished international cast is a perfect fit,” Alcon’s Broderick Johnson and Andrew Kosove said in a joint statement.