• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blade Runner 2 on the way care of Ridley Scott
2 2

460 posts in this topic

Mackenzie Davis Cast In Blade Runner Sequel

blade-runner-mackenzie-davis-185137.jpg

The Blade Runner sequel, which still has no official title, continues to staff up. Harrison Ford was the first returnee, and Ryan Gosling, Dave Bautista, Ana de Armas, Carla Juri, and Robin Wright have all been cast over the case of recent weeks. Now, Mackenzie Davis is the latest add, after appearing in The Martian and Halt and Catch Fire.

Blade Runner's sequel is directed by Denis Villeneuve, and aside from a director and cast, it's being held as a rare Hollywood secret. Ford is once again playing Rick Deckard and the film takes place, in something approximating real time, a few decades after the original film. The ever-growing cast should be nearly complete, as the movie is ready to start shooting next month for Warner Bros.

New Concept Art And Details For Denis Villeneuve's BLADE RUNNER Sequel Released

this movie takes place decades after the original Blade Runner and will once again be set in Los Angeles. However, we'll be seeing much more of the West Coast this time around. "The climate has gone berserk — the ocean, the rain, the snow is all toxic," Villeneuve explains. As for the vehicle pictured below, its apparently a kind of snow blower that hovers over the streets and destroys snow.

a63rMis.jpg

Denis Villeneuve's BLADE RUNNER Sequel Rounds Out Its Cast With THE WALKING DEAD's Lennie 'Morgan' James

143935.jpg

According to Deadline, Lennie James (The Walking Dead, Snatch, Colombiana) has been added to the already very impressive vast of Denis Villeneuve’s Blade Runner 2. We haven't received character details on any of the cast members up to this point, and that continues here, with no mention of the role - be it hero, villain, human or replicant - that James will play in the film.

Blade Runner 2 is set to hit theaters on October 6, 2017.

Blade Runner Sequel Casts Jared Leto

Following a surprise announcement, it looks like yet another award-winning actor has signed onto the Blade Runner sequel. Jared Leto has been cast in the upcoming film.

While there's been little information released on his role, Leto is joining the star-studded cast as talent like Ryan Gosling, Robin Wright, and Harrison Ford have already signed onto the project. Other actors such as Dave Bautista, Ana de Armas, Sylvia Hoeks, and Carla Juri are also attached to the film.

This is landing quite the cast.

SICARIO Composer Jóhann Jóhannsson Set To Re-Team With Denis Villeneuve For BLADE RUNNER Sequel

In a recent interview (via Film Music Reporter) with the Icelandic radio station RUV, composer Jóhann Jóhannsson revealed to them that he will indeed be reuniting with director Denis Villeneuve to score his upcoming Blade Runner sequel, which stars Harrison Ford & Ryan Gosling in the lead roles.

Plot details for the yet-to-be titled Warner Bros. film are pretty much nonexistent at this point, but the film is due out in theaters October 2017, so we should be learning more relatively soon. In addition to Ford & Gosling, it will feature an all-star cast consisting of Robin Wright (Wonder Woman), Dave Bautista (Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2), Ana de Armas (Knock Knock), Sylvia Hoeks (The Lake), Carla Juri (Morris From America), Mackenzie Davis (The Martian), Barkhad Abdi (Captain Phillips), David Dastmalchian (Ant-Man), Hiam Abbass (Exodus: Gods and Kings), Lennie James (The Walking Dead), & Jared Leto (Suicide Squad).

l2YfbDE.jpg

Blade Runner: 2049 is the official title of the long-awaited sequel.

Plot details are being kept very secret, but we do know that director Denis Villeneuve (Enemy, Sicario) wants to have the film set several decades after the first film, while still being located in a dark and dreary future Los Angeles.

Villeneuve has been nervous about the pre-production of the film, but according to EW those nerves were calmed by Blade Runner's original screenwriter Hampton Francher:

He told me that Blade Runner was a dream. We just have to dream again and not worry too much about logic. That removed so much pressure and gave me the key to move forward.

"Morgan"

Ok, all ye Blade Runner fans should immediately check out Ridley Scott's son Luke's new to DVD "Morgan." It's even produced by Ridley. Even though there is no futuristic LA, Harrison Ford or renegade androids, this movie deals with a replicant theme, similar to Blade Runner. If that movie was it's relative, than this would be it's cousin (think Mighty Joe Young to King Kong.)

I was worried this was going to be a dryly expensive Ex Machina clone, but it actually had it's own theme before it degenerated into a Species-type ending. Regardless I enjoyed it for what it was and I'm sure the fans of Blade Runner will too.

Kate Mara was perfectly cast as the weary investigator called in after Morgan went haywire on a scientist and Anya Taylor-Joy continues her "hot" streak after the masterpiece "The Witch" as the titular Morgan.

Lots of shades of Blade Runner, as you wonder if Mara's subdued character Leah isn't that far from being like Morgan.

Three out of Four Stars.

Mackenzie Davis Cast In Blade Runner Sequel

blade-runner-mackenzie-davis-185137.jpg

The Blade Runner sequel, which still has no official title, continues to staff up. Harrison Ford was the first returnee, and Ryan Gosling, Dave Bautista, Ana de Armas, Carla Juri, and Robin Wright have all been cast over the case of recent weeks. Now, Mackenzie Davis is the latest add, after appearing in The Martian and Halt and Catch Fire.

Blade Runner's sequel is directed by Denis Villeneuve, and aside from a director and cast, it's being held as a rare Hollywood secret. Ford is once again playing Rick Deckard and the film takes place, in something approximating real time, a few decades after the original film. The ever-growing cast should be nearly complete, as the movie is ready to start shooting next month for Warner Bros.

Great now I have to watch it because I loved her in "Halt and Catch Fire".

I had no desire to see a sequel to this because I thought all was said in the first one, but they dragged me in now.

Depends on what ending you desire. There is also a great game from Westwood Studios (I still have this) where depending on the path you take, Deckard is either an android or human.

On 8/27/2014 at 5:42 AM, Bosco685 said:

Not really.

There are slight changes which lead to a different path concerning Deckard's origin and future. And later on, Philip K. 's friend K. W. Jeter published follow-up stories (Blade Runner 2: The Edge of Human; Blade Runner 3: Replicant Night; Blade Runner 4: Eye and Talon) based on one of those paths. Deckard being human in the end. At least, you think so.

From the wiki page, which seems to do a super job of summarizing all the details.

-------------------------

The releases seen by most cinema audiences were: the U.S. theatrical version (1982, 116 minutes), known as the original version or Domestic Cut, released on Betamax and VHS in 1983 and Laserdisc in 1987; the International Cut (1982, 117 minutes), also known as the "Criterion Edition" or "uncut version", which included more violent action scenes than the U.S. version. Although initially unavailable in the U.S., and distributed in Europe and Asia via theatrical and local Warner Home Video Laserdisc releases, it was later released on VHS and Criterion Collection Laserdisc in North America, and re-released in 1992 as a "10th Anniversary Edition".

Scott's Director's Cut (1991, 116 minutes) was made available on VHS and Laserdisc in 1993, and on DVD in 1997. Significant changes from the theatrical version include: the removal of Deckard's voice-over; re-insertion of a unicorn sequence; and removal of the studio-imposed happy ending. Scott provided extensive notes and consultation to Warner Bros. through film preservationist Michael Arick, who was put in charge of creating the Director's Cut. Scott's The Final Cut (2007, 117 minutes) was released by Warner Bros. theatrically on October 5, 2007, and subsequently released on DVD, HD DVD, and Blu-ray Disc in December 2007. This is the only version over which Scott had complete editorial control.

There is also a game from Westwood Studios that I feel was excellent (I think I still have it stored away somewhere) which took a different approach.

Blade Runner (1997)

There is another blade runner also hunting down replicants at the same time as Deckard. Depending on the decisions you make, you go down one of the paths hinted at by the different versions of the movie.

There are thirteen endings, influenced by the player's actions throughout the game. These endings are variations on three major themes; the player can believe McCoy is human, and hunt down the replicants; be persuaded that he's a replicant himself, and side with them against the other Blade Runners; or stay neutral, and flee the city, either alone or with some of the other characters.

I think with the books there is enough material to help delivery a sequel to answer some of the questions left unanswered by the original movie. Especially about who Deckard really is in the end. 'The Edge of Human' especially could provide the foundation for a Blade Runner 2, though the storyline was not as impactful as 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep' or the Blade Runner movie. It did bring some closure to questions of where did Deckard go afterwards, and what was Rachael's reason for being. Also, what happened with the sixth replicant that is mentioned in the movie, yet Deckard never takes down a sixth replicant.

18 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

@Bosco685  To that I am familiar.  I am wondering though which version Ridley Scott is making a sequel to.  

I'm wondering if that would be the Final Cut, since it is what he had the most control over?

Scott's The Final Cut (2007, 117 minutes) was released by Warner Bros. theatrically on October 5, 2007, and subsequently released on DVD, HD DVD, and Blu-ray Disc in December 2007. This is the only version over which Scott had complete editorial control.

Just now, Bosco685 said:

I'm wondering if that would be the Final Cut, since it is what he had the most control over?

That's what I was leaning toward but... I was hoping to find some type of official confirmation. 

20 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

That's what I was leaning toward but... I was hoping to find some type of official confirmation. 

If you purchase the Collector's Edition blu-ray or DVD, it has the Final Cut, Theatrical Cut, International Theatrical Cut and the Director's Cut. This is what I upgraded to a few years back.

So you can't go wrong.

27 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

If you purchase the Collector's Edition blu-ray or DVD, it has the Final Cut, Theatrical Cut, International Theatrical Cut and the Director's Cut. This is what I upgraded to a few years back.

So you can't go wrong.

Whoa whoa whoa whoa.... "purchase"

:shy:

Good to know though... I was hoping to see the "right" one before I go out to see the sequel.