• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RIP Lebowski, TJ Powell

177 posts in this topic

TJ and I never saw eye to eye. In fact I believe he dispised me even with his friends being my friends, but that doesn't matter... As someone said before. Legendary battles.

Anytime someone leaves this earth it is a sad day. As shown already he had a lot of great friends and was a great friend to many.

My sincere condolences go out to his family, friends and loved ones.

Tragic news to say the least.

Admittedly, I didn't know TJ as well as some others here, but he did help us (EvilAsh, Slackjawcomics) facilitate Dragon Con a few years back. I'm very sorry to hear this recent news.

I'd like to use this opportunity to share two of my favorite memories of TJ.

1) Slackjawcomics (then FFcomics) and I went up to Luke Perry to get a few things signed. TJ was hanging back a bit to get his books organized so he could get his stuff signed. For those who didn't know him, TJ bore a striking resemblance to Zach Galifinakis' character from The Hangover. TJ played into this uncanny likeness by wearing aviators and a t-shirt with a baby strapped into a carrier printed on it.

After Luke Perry signed our books, Chris leaned in and said "There's about to be a guy who looks just like that dude from The Hangover. Don't sign anything for him". As we walked away, TJ started approaching Luke's table but before he got within 20 feet, Luke pointed at TJ and yelled "I'm not signing for you!"

The look on TJ's face was priceless.

2) Who else has facial hair sentient enough to make a post?

Rest in Peace, TJ

100_2125.jpg

I had just a few chits and chats with Lebowski but whenever I saw his name I smiled a bit. The loss of yet another forum member is sad.

The last few lines of John Donne's poem are always apt for me when something like this happens:

Each man's death diminishes me,

For I am involved in mankind.

Therefore, send not to know

For whom the bell tolls,

It tolls for thee.

WOW...this sucks so much. He was one of the first boardies I met (he needed a witness at DragonCon in 2009 for Eric Powell) and was just such a joy to be around. Such a friendly guy. He will be missed.

The kidding that went on between TJ and Beau when it came to practical jokes and photo modifications were just a small sample of what made these two great people to know and be considered a true friend.

One funny thing they did with a number of board members is at some point in their back-and-forth sharing of bad comics, someone dug up what was considered the worst comic book ever published. Hey Boss!

Mwm0366l.jpg

They would send this to a board member with a letter outlining how you had just been gifted this experience to read this book. Once you had completely read this from front to back, you had to share your 'love' for this book by sending them a PM outlining your experience and reaction after reading it. Then, after signing the front cover, you had the pleasure of passing this along to the next board member - rinse and repeat.

lol

I sent it on to Comicopolis and Gav so this fine piece of work experienced a little international travel. Once that book came back to me, it was passed along to Beau so he could submit it into CGC for a fine Qualified slabbage. The front cover was just swamped with signatures. I'd love to know where that book ended up later on.

Two clowns I will always miss. Those are the positive memories I will focus on more than anything else. They helped make this place worth coming to every day they were around.

:cloud9:

fACIFhwl.gif