• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chicago on-site grading

25 posts in this topic

If anyone submitted, did they notice a tightening or loosening of grading with on-site subs?

I was told it was very tight this year - anyone confirm this?

The grades were pretty much what I thought they were going to be (or at least very close).

But, saying that, I'm pretty strict with my grading and usually err on the side of the lower grade.

I did get a fantastic surprise, however, when my ASM #1 6.0 turned into a 6.5 after I got it signed by Stan Lee!

Edit: I should mention that out of the 50 books I subbed only 2 came back lower than expected. I even bought some Superior Spider-Man variants at the show, subbed them, and they came back 9.8s.

Also, if you EVER have a chance to do on-site pressing/grading, take full advantage of it!

Getting your graded comics back within 2 or 3 days is amazing. And the CGC people are the friendliest and most helpful group I've ever come across. As you can imagine, there are groups of middle aged guys bugging them all day long, and they never seem to lose their smiles or great attitudes.

Personally, I can't wait to do it again!

of the 32 books I submitted, only 2 came back different than i expected.

one was graded higher, one was graded lower.

seems consistent with other submissions that I've sent in

I can echo similar results...I subbed 7 books.

Only one came back a bit higher than expected and one came back a bit lower than expected.

I don't consider +/- 0.5 to be "off"

I can echo similar results...I subbed 7 books.

Only one came back a bit higher than expected and one came back a bit lower than expected.

I don't consider +/- 0.5 to be "off"

Similar case. Five books came from the strict old school grader. One is 8.0, second is 6.0, third is 9.0, fourth is 4.5 and final is 4.0 . I know they were graded harsher. They came back with 9.4, 9.0, 9.2 all White pages and both low grade books are now 6.0 OWW and 5.5 COW. One more book was bought from eBay. The book looked 9.4 at least that came back with 9.6 White!

I have subbed all my books at WWC since 2008. Most were tight with several surprises and some were disappointed by few points off. Overall, I am still happy with the results and give the credits to CGC teams for working hard with overwhelming countless comic books in a short time.

Thanks all - I'll give a couple a go at Baltimore in that case (thumbs u

Nor mine. CGC was just secretly putting defects like sticker residue (that I CLEARLY would've caught, had it been there before I subbed) onto my books. Puddling, no. Messing up my books on purpose? You betcha. It's hard being the face of the anti-CGC.

Nor mine. CGC was just secretly putting defects like sticker residue (that I CLEARLY would've caught, had it been there before I subbed) onto my books. Puddling, no. Messing up my books on purpose? You betcha. It's hard being the face of the anti-CGC.

Still hurting over that Darkhawk #1 CGC 9.4? :baiting:

It was supposed to be color touch. Sorry, Mike. :sorry::foryou:

It was supposed to be color touch. Sorry, Mike. :sorry::foryou:

:roflmao: Now that's some funny chit right there.

hm

I had a good experience with the on-site grading. All of my moderns came back within 0.2 of my predictions. For my economy submission, all of the books were within 1.0 of what I thought they would be. Will definitely submit on-site again in the future.