• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPOON! Patrick Warburton (The Tick) and crew coming back?

122 posts in this topic

The Tick Reboot Pilot Ordered at Amazon — With All-New Cast!

Amazon has officially ordered a pilot for an update of The Tick, the cult live-action comedy from writer/producer Ben Edlund, our sister site Deadline reports.

Original star Patrick Warburton — who headlines NBC’s upcoming comedy Crowded — will not return for the project, which will resurrect his muscle-bound, antennae-sporting superhero.

The live-action Tick ran for nine episodes on Fox in 2001 and starred Nestor Carbonell (Lost) as Batmanuel, Liz Vassey (All My Children) as Captain Liberty and David Burke (Brothers & Sisters) as Arthur.

Griffin Newman (Vinyl) will play sidekick Arthur in the Amazon version, while Valorie Curry (House of Lies, The Following) will portray Arthur’s sister, Dot.

Oh boy.

:(

But...the live action show was _horrible_.

The _only_ good thing about it was Bat Manuel.

I enjoyed the whole big palooka portrayal of The Tick, caught up in this most dreamlike world. The whole thing felt self-improvised even when there were even Hitchcockian plots were introduced. It gave a show that essentially about nothing, some depth.

But...the live action show was _horrible_.

The _only_ good thing about it was Bat Manuel.

I have the entire nine episodes. I'll have to watch this again to see if I agree.

:baiting:

It looks like Partrick Warburton being left out was his choice due to a comedy he is already dedicated to. Amazon probably took too long to commit.

‘The Tick’ Gets Revived at Amazon, But There’s a Catch

In 2014, the word was that Amazon planned to resurrect The Tick with Edlund writing and producing (as he did on the original live-action show) and Warburton once again playing the Tick. The part involving Edlund is still true, and in fact he’ll be joined by executive producer Barry Josephson, who also worked on the earlier The Tick series. But Warburton is now tied up with his NBC comedy Crowded, and so his role will be recast. He will, however, serve as an executive producer on the Amazon pilot.

The Tick revival will still center on the Tick and Arthur, but surround them with a new set of characters. Here’s how Deadline describes the premise of the new series:

'In the new incarnation, the blue suit-wearing Tick is recovering from a memory loss. He ends up re-teaming with Arthur to fight evil. Newman’s Arthur, played in the Fox series by David Burke, had been labeled as a schizophrenic because of his statements that evil plans to rule the city, and no one believes him until he runs into Tick. Curry’s Dot Everest is a nurse who loves her brother Arthur to death and worries about him.'

I hope they can find someone just as funny, but also just as large to make the character that imposing yet goofy.

'The Tick' On Amazon: Peter Serafinowicz Lands Lead!

by Nellie Andreeva

March 22, 2016 4:19pm

EXCLUSIVE: British actor-comedian Peter Serafinowicz is set as the lead in the Amazon pilot The Tick, a new take on Ben Edlund‘s comic book character with an all-new cast. Edlund, who created the 2001 live-action Fox comedy as well as the 1994 animated series, is writing and executive producing. Also back are fellow original exec producer Barry Josephson and original studio Sony Pictures TV.

The reboot is bringing back the eponymous muscle-bound, antennae-sporting superhero (Serafinowicz). In the new incarnation, the blue-suited Tick is recovering from a memory loss and ends up reteaming with his sidekick Arthur (Griffin Newman) to fight evil. The two are surrounded by a new host of characters that include Arthur’s sister Dot (Valorie Curry).

In the Fox series, the Tick was played by Patrick Warburton, who is expected to serve as an executive producer on the new version. Transcendence helmer Wally Pfister is directing the Amazon pilot.

Serafinowicz has strong comic book and cult credentials with his roles in Marvel’s blockbuster Guardians of the Galaxy and the 2004 sleeper hit Shaun of the Dead. He also voiced Darth Maul in Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace. He is repped by UTA, 3 Arts and UK’s Troika.

The Tick only lasted for nine episodes on Fox, but it was well received by critics and quickly achieved cult status.

https://t.co/NzDiZvM0KE

:whee:

'Lie to Me' Actor Brendan Hines Joins The Tick

According to Deadline, Brendan Hines has join the cast of Amazon's revival of the live-action superhero comedy The Tick.

Hines will play "Superian, a superhero with issues."

You may recognize the 39-year old actor as Eli Loker on Lie to Me, Gideon Wallace on Scandal, or, more recently, as Drew Baker on Scorpion.

brendanhinesthetick-176419.png

How Amazon's Tick reboot aims to stand out in a crowded superhero landscape

In a pop-culture landscape absolutely jam-packed with superheroes, how do you break out from the crowd? Amazon Studios and the producers of 2001’s short-lived live-action series The Tick hope they have the answer.

“I said at the time [that] the network didn’t necessarily get it,” says Barry Josephson, an executive producer on the original Tick as well as the upcoming reboot. “And I don’t know that we were doing exactly the version that was right, but we were happy with it.”

Indeed, while the series might have ended prematurely, Josephson says that he was asked constantly by friends and strangers when the show might make a return. The producer reached out to Edlund a few years ago to propose, “Let’s go back and do The Tick right.”

Edlund, who created the comic when he was just 18 years old, is returning to shape his character for the new pilot, as are executive producers Josephson and Warburton, and original studio Sony Pictures TV​. The development process at Amazon is unique: Pilots are shown to the public before the studio decides which shows will go forward. Less than half of the pilots go to series, but then again, most don’t carry the cult-following cachet of The Tick.

“It feels like on one hand you can say the superhero landscape is crowded but I think over the last two decades of it there’s nothing else like The Tick,” says Joe Lewis, head of half-hour series at Amazon. “I feel like it has found this unique place where it’s long existed as a satire and I thought that we had the possibility here to do something really different — something that’s filled with satire but also true to action-comedies and superhero comedies.”

“We’ve got this show about superheroes [where] we get to have fun with the idea of superheroes by starting with kind of a comedic parody of [an] event-oriented-like universe,” he explains. “It will be darker and more grounded. And it’s going to have a real story, a real hero’s myth. We’re the ones that get to have fun with it and that’s kind of the situation where right now that’s an open field in this area of entertainment.”

:wishluck: